School Admission - Timelines and admission process

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ramyav_cse, May 21, 2013.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My DS will turn 3 next june and he will have to start school as per Indian school curriculum, if we end up relocating to India. Im looking to hear from parents that have sent their kids to the following schools in Chennai to let me know on when the admission process would start(right from issuing the admission form). We will have to plan our relocation based on that.
    1. PSBB , KKNagar
    2. PSBB Millenium
    3. Pon Vidyashram
    4. Omega International

Also at what stage of the admission process should the parent and kid be physically present? Can a local guardian get the application form for us or can we download from the internet, sign and courier it from here?

Thanks in advance,
    Ramya

1 person likes this.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,
    I have been trying to gather similar information for schools in Adyar area. Here is what seems to be common among most of the school admissions process:
    1. Most of the schools issue applications in Dec or March. Keep checking the schools website.
    2. You should definitely plan to be in Chennai by Feb end to secure admission for that year. This is assuming you are looking for Pre KG or LKG admissions.
    3. Local guardian can get the form. But it is better for you to be present once the admission process starts. Things move at pretty quick pace and you do not want to waste any time.

3. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

@ramyaramani: Thanks for replying...I found some information that is specific to PSBB in Chennai.
    Putting it down so that other parents might also benefit from this.
    1. The application form will be available online usually around Vijayadhasmi (last year they started the process in jan only).
    2. We will need to fill the form online and take a printout of the tracksheet and submit the same with the following documents at the school(in our case, I believe a locally authorized person should be able to do it)
    Couple of passport size pictures
    Original Birth Certificate
    Indian proof of address (I guess people staying close to the school get an upper hand)
    Authorization letter (Since parent will not be available in person during this time)
    Fees for application form(guess it was Rs.150 for last year).
    3. Once we submit all of these, depending on some lottery or some other criterion,they might call the child for a personal interview(Possibly 2-3 months from the start of application).
    4. If admitted, the fees will need to be paid th very same day.
    I also read that parents with cumulative income of over 1 lakh per month stand a better chance...how do they rate an income of an NRI who is in the process of moving? Im sure, even if my DS finds a place in this school, my DH might return only 2-3 months post the admission process. He thinks it will be easy for him to wrap up knowing what awaits back home which wont happen until we secure an admit in a good school.

For the rest of the schools except Omega, I am told the process will start only around april.