1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scattered White Hair! How To Apply Hair Dye?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by anika987, Jun 23, 2020.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The Amazon reviews say that black malva is discontinued. That makes sense since it’s not on Aveda’s website and the inflated prices elsewhere. I would not buy cosmetics and personal care products from resellers. There’s no way to know if you’re getting the real product.

anika987 likes this.
  2. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

yea, too bad. They have the blue color depositing shampoo now, called blue malva or something. This would have been such a good alternative to extend your re coloring time. That said, I would never buy shampoos or creams from Amazon. There is a Aveda shop in the mall I went to, will check it out when they open and let you gals know.

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The henna and indigo seems to be awesome and if one wants to have natural hair dye it seems to be the best.

Few questions though..

48 hours oxidization for henna is required and your hair will turn brown after you apply.Next day we apply indigo..so..

1) how long to leave henna on hair?
    2) should we wash henna with just water?
    3)should we apply shampoo before applying indigo?
    4)next day how long to leave indigo on hair and can we apply shampoo later or just wash with water?

Am Okay with my Hair turning brown for a day but after that indigo is supposed to turn it black right?is that way it is used for?

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

As of now I have ordered revlon hair root touch up .Seems easy to apply..

5. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

When I used to use this combination, My hair used to be shampooed a day or 2 before henna

1- left henna on for about 2 hours [more is preferable]. If it is a good henna the color sets in pretty quick.
    2 - henna should actually be washed by itself. If you use shampoo, it is going to remove some henna which may give you darker color after some time. But I have used a tiny bit of sulphate free shampoo sometimes when I didnot wash my hair before hennaing.
    3 - Don't apply conditioner after wshing hair with henna [very important]
    4 - I think Indigo can be left for an hour or so or longer if you desire.
    5- you can use conditioner after you wash away Indigo so that the cuticles have absorbed the color and will close.

I have researched this and each one has their own method. Try to use one that is suitable for you. I have always cut short the henna time on my head as it cooled down my body wayy to much and triggered my sinuses.
    So now I have totally stopped this for the sake of my health.
    Also, did you know that if you use henna/Indigo then the chemical colors will not work well ? It took a few applications for me to settle down on the grey color absorption from Garnier Olia.

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Ooo okay..Even garnier is a good brand.I like the henna indigo process but even with that when the white hair starts peeping,we have to repeat the entire process again which actually seems long.. however,I have this option.

How I wish the parlours are open:)

7. Saahasi

Saahasi Silver IL'ite

From what I gather it depends on the type of hair. My friends leave henna without indigo for a good 3 hours. But if you are using a combination of henna and indigo then 2 hours will do. They say it’s best to wash hair with just water, oil and shampoo the next day. Some prefer to apply henna on dry hair while some don’t as it causes dryness. So if you have dry scalp and hair it’s probably better to oil your hair before applying henna. If you are going for a 2 step henna indigo process then apply henna for 3 hours, wash with water. Do not oil hair as indigo won’t do well on oiled hair.Next day morning mix indigo with water,some are suggesting to add a pinch of salt.Apply immediately leave for 30 mins and wash with just water. Some people get orangish color while some have a reddish color after henna application.No idea why the shades differ.We just have to try and find what suits us.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    anika987 likes this.
  8. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

yea just as @Saahasi suggested, there are these other things like salt to add to indigo just before you apply.
    I found it too cumbersome having 2 kids around. Now my greys have started increasing so gave up on henna and indigo.
    Do you live in India @anika987 ? Then parlors maybe do this. If you are living in the U.S or Canada it is difficult.

Saahasi likes this.
  9. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

1. I make henna paste with some tea decoction in the evening. Let it soak overnight. After I apply henna on my hair, I let it soak for 3-4 hours. Anything less than that, I don't get a deep orange and it causes my indigo to not stick well on top of the henna color.
    2. Yes, I wash with just water. Henna is a little drying. You can start applying oil after the indigo treatment to condition your hair.
    3. Nope, shampoo will take away some of the henna coloring. (this is my understanding)
    4. I leave on Indigo for just 1 hour. And then just wash with water. Hair will be a little dry after this. After a couple of days oiling it will be back to its previous condition. (I don't oil because my scalp produces enough oils)

If you're going this route please do watch some "long-form" videos or experience-blogs on henna+indigo before trying it out. Am stating it quite briefly here. By watching these videos you'll get much more detailed tips and also diverse experiences on how it works for different hair types. And what to expect like consistency of paste, effort to wash this off your hair, reducing aroma of henna/indigo with essential oils if you don't like it, how to decrease time on your hair by using a hair dryer + kitchen celan wrap, etc I read/watched a lot about this before I started but don't have any handy links to share because it was quite a few years ago.

SunPa and anika987 like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Using do hair coloring in the parlour here in US but now it is tough being at home.I have never dyed hair myself..trying to figure out the best and easiest method:)