1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

scared and worried of current situation

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by coolpinky, Aug 27, 2012.

1. coolpinky

coolpinky Platinum IL'ite

hi all,
    I have come up with my story again again. But this time its different.It started from last week and the effect still exists.
    My DH and myself are in normal terms. Its the issue with my MIL again.Last week I did not cook properly (According to my MIL).
    My DH told me what went wrong in the cooking one day in private. I accepted and I assured him that I will take care in future.
    It was my MIL who was maintaining the great silence for almost 4-5 days and then on the weekend she tried a session on me when I was just home in the evening
    and that too in the absence of my DH. These where her wors
    " I have taught you so many things but there is no improvement at all. The food tastes so bad. How do you think we can eat it?( I got a feeling that I am a cook for the house).There is so much of water left in the rice vessel and the rice has become watery(Actually the rice was well cooked except some water was left behind though the water was filled in the cooker with proper quantity).You eat what all you want outside and we have to starve eating such a kind of food.
    If you cant cook properly let me know. I dont mind cooking in the morning. I am leaving the cooking to you because you should know how to manage household things"
    I told her calmly that its just one day that the dal was not good and the rest of the days it was all fine.
    She was not convinced and continued the same non sense for a couple of mins. And she said that I have to accept the mistake if its done
    I got irritated and said " I cannot accept if the mistake is not mine. I have told you in the morning itself that the water was poured in proper quantity and its not my fault. I dont cook with the intention that you people find it difficult to eat.
    If you feel that i have not improved then its your opinion and I cant talk anything on that" . She felt offended for replying back to her and she went off murmuring something within herself
    She was not talking to me at all after that and even I ignored her. This weekend my DH and myself cooked the meals for everyone. While cooking my husband was in search of something in the fridge. I told him that its not available.
    My MIL entered the kitchen just then and she said that its available in the fridge. I said that I searched for it two days back but could not find it. For this she lost her temper she screamed " Shall I show it??? Why are you lying ???". It was kept somewhere in the corner.She picked it up and gave it to my DH. She was talking all crap. For this my DH also lost his cool and shouted back to my MIL asking her to keep quiet and not to create any issues on a holiday.
    From then onwards my MIL has gone mad and trying to expose something bad out of what i have done. They are all very very silly. And she has gone to the extent of pointing out everything against me to my DH in my presence itself which was not happening before. My DH is just listening and leaving things behind. And this scenario has continued untill today morning. Not sure whats there in store for me today evening.
    Today she could the entire meals by herself and she had prepared many times and she told to her son the entire menu. But last moment my DH did not pack the lunch as he had to go out for lunch somewhere with his colleagues.
    Friends, I am very much worried about the current situation. Though my DH is not saying anything to me as of now I am not sure how he would react for her complaints against me.
    As of now he is nice to me inspite of listening to all her crap. But I am very scared and I am not able to predict what she has in store for me.
    So please advice on how be at home in such a situation and how to respond if any unpleasant situation comeup.
    Thanks in advance and my apologies for a longer post

2. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Don't get in confrontations with her as it will make things worse. Cook food as required so that she doesn't get chance to keep finding faults with u on those fronts (food, home etc.). When she is picking on u intentionally, ur DH will know it, don't worry as he has seen her in that mode. She is frustrated that her drama didn't affect ur DH and is looking for chances to create scene and get ur DH manipulated. Be normal to ur DH and don't talk about MIL with him as she is already eating his head so don't create stress between u two!

3. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

Just stay cool and don't loose your temper. Dont complain anything to your DH and time will answer.

4. subhejamal

subhejamal Silver IL'ite

hi dear so sadbut yes dont make complaints to your DH.Behave a nothing ha happened a he is directly saying alllllllllllllll to him.Try to be normal and usual in all houehold chores.It can turn the table for you.

5. subhejamal

subhejamal Silver IL'ite

hi me again i have another idea.i dont know if it will work for you or not.decision is totally yours.if he i doing all this after that holiday incident,all she wants is a little fight between you two,you can tell your DH to tell you to follow her advice and make sure that she also listens .you can talk to him in private about this thing.may this put a full stop to her deeds atleast for now.YOur huband can tell her calmly that i tell her she will follow.All i see is to be little diplomatic with her.Otherwise you will have a surprise every morning n evening.I dont know about her and your husband,only you doif you find it applicablego ahead ,if not pray for your peace at home.

6. lakshmisathish

lakshmisathish Bronze IL'ite

all MIL are same....
    dono whether we wud be the same in future...
    try to make ur mind peaceful...
    even if ur cooking is the tastiest in the world, even then they wud nag u...
    god has created MIL's like this sort only....
    u jus do ur duty, cook healthiest food, dont worry abt the taste....
    try some ways to spend ur time n not think abt her words...
    duck says "quack quack", cat says "mew mew"
    MIL always nags n always complains......... its all their nature

7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Just be silent and do the normal things you do. Dont back answer or fight back. Same time dont show you are scared or worried and overdo more than you usually do because she is upset.

1 person likes this.
  8. apaasn

apaasn Gold IL'ite

Hey coolpinky,

I took 2 yrs to learn cooking afte marriage.And I didnt even know how to make rice or make anything for that matter.When my in laws visit me for 6 months I do make mistakes,can I cook perfectly every single day? No.
    You know this,just put it across to your mil in a nice way.Just say sweetly,you have so many years of experience,I am just learning everything and its taking me time.Ask her to teach you some recipes once again,this time take a notebook and write down so that you can remember.Learn one dish one week.Learn it well.
    This is what I did and I was pampered by my parents who never allowed me in the kitchen.But I realised cooking can be interesting and fun,I learnt from my mil very patiently.Even I dont like my mil,She is manipulative,hates me for marrying he son,no matter what I do she doesnt like,but they make such a big issue of cooking that I thought I better learn it soon.Drop all ego and ask your mil to teach you some dishes again,write it down,repeat.

See your husband loves you and you love him,he seems like a good fellow and he supports you too,maybe your mil is jealous and is trying to create some fights.Do you want to fight with mil and make an uncomfortable situation for your self?? No right,if you want to vent some anger,go punch a pillow,goto your room,scream at the walls.Come back to your mil with a smile.She might pass a comment on how many times I have taught you,blah blah,dont get angry,say this is the last time I want to learn again.
    If she says she cant teach go to your mothers house and learn some dishes from her.
    If you think you are a good cook and its the vessel problem buy a new one and check the food before serving.Dont get so tensed abt it and ruin your peace of mind.
    Do this and you will be in good books with your husband.Seeing you try to work it out with his mom and learn from her,he will respect you for that.T

9. coolpinky

coolpinky Platinum IL'ite

Apaasan,

I have been cooking from the past one year. I cook in the same fashion as what she has taught me. I have managed to put to the spices quantity also as asked by her and my DH. From the past couple of months she has not passed any comments against my cooking. Earlier she used to tell me if my cooking was good. But now a days what ever new recipe I prepare (As per my DH request) she will not respond.
    I dont care because its my DH who has like what I prepare and he likes it.

One day when only we both were alone (me and my DH) I have told him to keep telling me if there was anything wrong in my preparation so that I can vary the salt and spices quantity accordingly.

There is every possibilty that things might go wrong on some days and that was what had happened with me. She has 35 years of exp in cooking and still she cant manage to add proper quantity of salt in her cooking almost everyday. Most of the times the rice what she prepares in the afternoon will be burnt out at the bottom of the vessel. What answer will she have for this?

I admit if the mistake is mine. But can I take when she says that I have done it intentionally?

From yesterday she is only cooking in the morning as me and my DH are not taking box to office. I have also decided to leave it to her untill she asks me to start cooking again.

10. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

I feel your DH knows MIL very well and he know that she is making issues with nothing so he is not saying anything to you.:thumbsup..so don't worry..this is best game for all MIL to blame poor DIL :rantfor this and that and they feel that they are perfect and our mother never teach us anything...:bonk so just ignore her...