1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Scared about working in US-Help me...

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by JKS, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS Guest

Dear friends..

I am back again to lament. I dont know , I have a very low self esteem and get tensed and stressed for everything :(

Last year I came on H1 but never got job so converted to H4. Now got an offer and I am waiting for my Change of status, H4-H1 to begin my new job in US. Hoping my transfer go thru fine, But I am just scared to think about working here. Everyone says its easy to work here...May be because its my first independent job here or because it has been a 1+ year break, I am too scared that I should perform well etc. I literally sweat and hear my own heart beat thinking about it :(

I have been an above average performer in my Indian job but still it just scares to work in this new country wiht new people, If i can do well and gain a good name etc...

Dear experienced ladies , Pls suggest me how to handle my stress related to this new job:bowdown:bowdown.

Love,
    Sarada.

2. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

Hi JKS
    Firstly Congratulations on your job!!!!

Working in the US is easier then working in India because you have a direct customer facing job. If you have any questions or need any clarity you can always walk up to them and ask them instead of depending on emails or onsite co-ordinators.
    Ensure that you follow their work culture, in the sense some companies in the west coast have a very informal setup ie You can walk into people's offices, have pot lucks etc... some of them do have a very formal setup ie discussions can only happen after formal requests are sent, the dress code is formal etc.

So take some time, understand the corporate culture and then gel in. Good luck!

Btw, If you are waiting for H4 to H1 you cant work till 2010 October.. Is that correct as the quota must have expired for 2009.?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. piyarustagi

piyarustagi New IL'ite

hey!! wanna be frds with u.
    I totally relate to u...seriously.

4. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Sarada,

Congratulations on the new job!

First take a deep breath...you don't have to overwhelmed here at all. Believe me I was in the same boat as you have been only mine was 7 years gap...can you imagine how much tensed I should be...but relax its so much easier here and the people are very friendly. Nothing to be scared of or worried about.

First don't be stressed out, you know your job well so there is nothing to worry about right. Tackle your work calmly. And if you are not able to understand something all you need to is ask and help will be there. Carry yourself with confidence always. :thumbsup

Good luck!!

Jaya

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Sarada,

congratulations. I am not a computer field, but have worked with lots of them. H1B employees are very good. They are very friendly and nice. One problem I have with most of them, they are on cell phone talking to their friends and families. You will do good. Working in this country is nicer. People are friendly, but don't talk personal stuff.

Enjoy and Good luck.

6. JKS

JKS Guest

ProReal, Thank you very much for the encouragement. I was already holding H1 which is not used up to 6 yrs full, so I dont come under new quota.

Piyarustagi, Thanks for your reply. Glad to know am not alone.

GJaya, Thanks very much for the encouragement. Wow, 7 yrs? Thats great. This is what I dont understand, Mine is just 1.5 yrs jaya, and I did good in my job and am not even faking or anything, still God knows why I should be this stressed? :spin Anyways its great to see your reply. Thanks.

Coffeelover, Nice name. Thank you very much for your encouragement. It does boost me up. I wont use a cell phone ;) Thank you.

Hoping visa works out fine, I know thats more important now. Thank you all for the boost up. I really really feel good now.

Love,
    Sarada

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry about the gap....all these articles on the news and internet get us nuts thinking this and that. I started working in Dec after a hiatus of 10 years (when I was taking care of my mom) and they are afaik very happy with me and my performance. One thing: you might google panic attacks and see if you are having those. If so, you can get medicine now to correct that.

8. JKS

JKS Guest

Thank you tashidelek for the hopes. I really hope to get thru with this and all of your replies gives me a very positive outlook. Thanks :)

9. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

I am starting my masters in Medicine after 6 years..can you believe that??..I am still going strong..thinking everything will be fine.I worked in India but it doesnt really matter..here it ios a completely different environment and work ethic!!..

Dont have fears..even of the unknown..all of us were born unknown of this world!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. lakshmiv7

lakshmiv7 New IL'ite

hey friends,

same question from my side.. i got new job

Next month is my joining date.. i worked in india for 2.5 years but i dont have much work there and i have lot of friends to help me in critical situations.. am average student at college..

Now 2 years gap.. most imp thing is no friends here.. everybody is telling that work in US is very hard.

please help me how to manage with work and culture