1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saying No to the Principle of Hitting Children to Discipline

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Moumita1, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Swashika

Swashika Silver IL'ite

thank you for bringing this issue.. All parents these days have this problem. How to discipline a child...

I got to read the book

How to talk so kids will listen and Listen so kids will talk by Adele Faber.. An excellent book which really have nice tips and tricks to discipline a child...

2. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Yes Swashika, its a problem we all have felt. And no, that doesn't make us bad moms, only human ones. We have all been hit as a child, and in heart we carry that feeling/experience with us. Its one of the resons why we had hit our children. But being human also means we try and get over our worse habits and begin something new. If that means a better childhood for our little children, then why not? I have decided to stop hitting my child. If more parents think about that, or become aware, then we will raise happier kids, and our children may become better parents than us. Atleast I believe in that. :)

3. smilealwayss

smilealwayss Gold IL'ite

dear Moumita

A very thought provoking blog ....:thumbsup

As a mom of nearly 3 year old I often get tempted to hit my kid but some how stop myself from doing that just for the very same reason u mentioned ....

" the blank , confused and face full of strangeness and fear from me, HIS MOM once when I hit him last time say an year ago..... I could simply never forgive myself from loosing my temper.... no matter what be the reason be just cos U CAN HIT AND THE KID IS TOO SMALL TO DEFEND HIMSELF does not give us the authority to hit or smack him/her."

Besides the pressure of every one around who are really elder than me and much more experienced and often says that I am spoiling the child cos of the way I deal with him often tempts me to think if Iam right ... but then I do still the SAME .
    some time I doubt if I can stand on my NO hitting policy BUT THEN FROM THAT UR KID IS TEN NOW I FEEL REALLY ENCOURAGED

4. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

How well I understand your sentiment. Thanks for sharing your views.

5. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Moushumi,

I feel being a Mommy these days are quite tough, but then again, if we cannot choose a different path for our children, then who will? So many people confuse discipline with hitting, and my efforts are all to say, discipline can be emphasised upon without hitting children as well. I wish more parents are like you. :thumbsup

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

A thought provoking post . I am from the older generation and I have never hit my children, might have done once ortwicelike you when the situation was bad. My husband was very strict with them and they knew I am there to take their side. I also dont like to see anyone hitting the children or even shouting at them. I feel same thing we can say it nicely and make them understand and now a days children are very understanding and have knowledge of everything. I think the age from the time they are born upto 5 years is the age when we should be careful inbringing up them, because that is the time they learn and will be remembered when they grow upalso.

7. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Dear Iyerviji,

You talk just like my FIL, who says children should not be hit or even yelled at, till three years of age, for they will simply not understand why you are so angry with them. Also what you said is true, for that's the age to build nice, warm and loving memories for them, for what environment they get at that tender age, will be in their emotions and memories always.

Thanks for the support. :thumbsup

8. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Dear Moumita,

A very good post. I had a belief that hitting is one way of disciplining the child. But no not for this generation ....These days kids are very very sensitive ....