1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Say NO to daily food wastage-Challenge??

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by spuppala, Nov 24, 2011.

1. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hey friends,

I know most of us feel it hard to throw the left over food in dust-bins..We can neither consume it nor throw it away..With no other alternative left to chose,we tend to throw it in bin most of the times..Let us take it a challenge not to waste food in our day to day life..Be it vegetables or cooked food..Sometimes we forget a small radish or beetroot deep inside the fridge and notice it to be super soft and spoiled after so many days..

So let us take it as a challenge and discuss various ways to avoid food wastage..Share your daily routines and confess whenever you waste food..Don;t feel bad and lets not repeat it again..

To start with,I have been wasting a handful of rice daily and feel very ashamed of myself ..I also waste so much of bread as I fail to remember the expiry date every time i buy it..

1 person likes this.

2. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Gals,

How much of food you have wasted today?
    I have started cutting down the amount of rice I cook,coz its better to eat less than to waste more..

2 people like this.
  3. Chailover

Chailover Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I too used to waste rice, bread and vegetables in the fridge.
    Now I started using to cook rice in pressure cooker if I have to use small amounts. Usuallt it gets wasted if I use rice cooker to cook 1 cup of rice. Instead I use pressure cooker and the wastage is less.

I organize my fridge so that I don't forget the vegetables that are easily spoilt in few days.

This week my fridge is so clean without any wastages.

1 person likes this.
  4. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi Chailover,

Kudos to you for not wasting any vegetables this week:clap

Yes even I waste lot of bread by not checking it last usage date and most of the times milk too...To avoid this I have started keeping sticky notes as we never pass a day without switching on our computer :)

Keep posting more ideas to avoid food wastage..

1 person likes this.
  5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

This week was fantastic for me..
    I have not wasted any veggies or rice..

Gathered all the left over bits of veggies and prepared veg kurma in anew style..Came out very yummy..
    and also started making pulihora with left over rice..
    Tried making dosa withs left over rice..

I feel very happy for this accomplishment..

6. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

I used to waste rice.Now controlled.But have to stop wasting vegetables in fridge.Dont know ,i end up throwing cabbage.

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Spuppala:)

You always start very innovative topics.Wow, good one!!!

There are left-overs in my kitchen too, and very often I carry them along with me when I leave for office.I generally give them to street kids who come begging at traffic signals.These left overs are usually bread, chappati, and sometimes a bit over ripe fruits.

8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

hi varhem,

One good option to avoid throwing cabbage often is to shred it and store.Coz we feel it lazy to cut the cabbage and postpone till it spoils..This way in the mid of the week you can easily cook cabbage mixed with any vegetable preferably carrot and peas..Also try to use the cabbage as tampering in whatever curries you prepare..your family will not even notice it ;)

Appreciate you for not wasting the rice:)

1 person likes this.
  9. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hey Anu:hiya

Thanks ma for your complements:)

Thats a fantastic idea dear..you are really superb..People hardly find time for themselves..but you get it to distribute the left overs to the needy..1000 Kudos to you!!

Keep posting any useful tips to avoid food wastage..

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Puppula,
    Nice thread to keep motivating us not to waste...Initially I used to waste rice n veggies now I bought small 2 ltr pressure pan so it holds only as much as I need that way I have stopped wasting and when I buy vegetables I classify them as easily pershible n can keeps so this way I plan the menu n use up easily perishable ones and after every week I clean the fridge n vegetable tray that way I have made sure no wastages and also clean fridge...