1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saving is to clutter: as Throwaway is to Clean

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    One more day-to-day stuff.
    Yeah yaar, I used to keep the bottles when I was new here and when I saw that these bottles will come every now and then, I started disposing them. But I used to keep pickle bottles (Priya/Swad pickles) to store dry masala powders and as I don't change the brand, all my bottles are of same size/look and I like this way.

About the triangle sign and numbers inside that, I searched net and posting an detailed account of it.
    Thank you.

The one that has this line:

The plastic called Polyethylene Terephthalate or PET bottles contain potentially carcinogenic elements (cancer causing chemical agents) Check bottom of bottle, there's a triangle sign with a number 1... any number under 5 will release the chemical especially of...​
    One would naturally be skeptical of all these forwarded sms text messages. Anyway, this is what you'll find online:
    Recycling Symbols -- (On the triangle symbol enclosing the number 1) "PET, also referred to as polyester, is a popular packaging material for food and non-food products because it is inexpensive, lightweight, resealable, shatter-resistant and recyclable."
    Don't use repackaged water -- "The triangle with 1 enclosed signifies that the material is PET, and not if it is chemically safe or not. If you research properly, you will find that there is no study conducted yet, that confirms that water bottles leach out hazardous leechate. So until someone does check, we should not spread baseless and wrong information."
    Here's a copy of the forwarded email (UPDATE: Dinesh Babu took down the page), which can easily be modified and slanted to attack specific products which use PET bottles.
    You'll notice that in the forwarded email, the emphasis is placed on the number of times you reuse the bottle.
    Since the page was taken down, here's a cached copy so that this post will make sense:

You know we use plastic/pet bottles everyday for drink/water. If you looked at the bottom or somewhere around it, you would find a number enclosed in a triangle.
    What’s in a number? Well, here is something I got from a forward. I am going to admit that I didn’t have an idea about this until now. I knew repeated usage of plastic bottles can be harmful, but I was ignorant to this detail. But, better late than never. The general tip is, if you would like to reuse a bottle then the number in the triangle at the bottom should be >= 5, otherwise it is meant for using only once.
    Code/Number: 1
    Plastictype: PET
    Polyethylene Terephthalate
    Use: Soft drink bottles, some shampoo and detergent bottles
    Code/Number: 2
    Plastictype: HDPE
    High Density Polyethylene
    Use: Milk bottles, household cleaners, supermarket bags
    Code/Number: 3
    Plastictype: PVC
    Polyvinyl Chloride
    Use: Detergent bottles, some shampoo bottles, film for eat wrapping
    Code/Number: 4
    Plastictype: LDPE
    Low density Polyethylene
    Use: Bread bags
    Code/Number: 5
    Plastictype: PP
    Polypropylene
    Use: Bread bag tags, jars, some wrapping film
    Code/Number: 6
    Plastictype: PS
    Polystyrene
    Use: Yogurt and margarine containers, meat trays
    Code/Number: 7
    Plastictype: All other resins and mixed plastic
    As you know chemical released by plastic water bottles can cause cancer
    (It is not the water that affects you but the chemical released from the
    bottle)
    How to avoid: Check the bottom of the bottle there should be a triangle
    sign and there will be a number on it. If the number is higher than or
    equal to 5 –> then this bottle is safe to use. Numbers under 5 will
    release the chemical. For most bottled water, the number is 1. Remember to
    check and stop reusing those bottles.
    Notice that the forwarded message focuses on the code numbers and makes no mention of specific products.
    Anyway, here's a sample modification/adaptation that is being repeatedly posted as a comment in several blog entries online:

Beware of dringking [name of beverage]. Its not the [beverage product] that affects you but the chemical released from the bottle. The plastic called Polyethylene Terephthalate or PET bottles contain potentially carcinogenic elements (cancer causing chemical agents) Check bottom of bottle, there's a triangle sign with a number 1... any number under 5 will release the chemical especially of [name of product], since [product's manufacturing process] and filled into the PLASTIC BOTTLES WHILE HOT. No wonder the [detailed description of product's packaging].​

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Meeta for the information. I immediately went and checked the gatorade bottle which i use to drink water to keep account of how much i drink, the found the no.1 inside the triangle and immediately threw away. Thanks once again for the information.

sriniketan

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much for the triangle information.

4. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

thanks meeta, for the detailed informations.........

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much Meeta for the triangle info. Cannot believe theres so much to know.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi meeta,

Thanks for posting this:thumbsup. veda was a little busy. so he said that he will post about this once back in office. but since your post is so detailed i dont think he needs to worry about this much.

I think it will be an eye opener to lot of people.

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Meeta,

Thanks for giving a detailed downloads on the various nos. on the bottles... Since I was little busy on packing and back to work... I couldnt. Hope this will help all the people... Now they will think on recycling the bottles....

Health is wealth......

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Chitra,

HAHA.Same is the habit of my wife.I tell her to throw away those bottles of jams and juices, and the bislerli water ones, let us buy the pearl pet ones.Half shes thrown and some she still has.

I like the pearl pet ones, same colour and sizes, and things look cute in them.But this is not my dept so i dont argue much.:-DI doubt they will come in use really.

Regards.kamal

9. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanvy, Vyasan, Sri, Supriya, Chitra and Achu,
    Thanks that you liked the information. Its my pleasure and in a way, my duty to let my fellow ILites know about the triangle information which concerns health issues.
    Regards to all.

10. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

Men are expert in giving those looks to us when we save these things. i too cleaned out two juice bottles to use it for carrying water when we go out. My hubby says we can buy a bottle, but whats the harm in carrying it along.... so now he doesnt agrue:rotfl:rotfl:rotflBut otherwise i dont collect junk, for the simple reason the more the junk the more cleaning has to be done. I am expert in throwing out junk.....:clap:clap. Wh en i was unmarried, my mom used to tell me never to spring clean her cupboard or the utensil cupboard, as all the old clutter saved from years would be dumped. My cupboards used to be empty with the old stuff being thrown out often. I hate clutter.Now moreso, with my baby dont have so much time to be spring cleaning as often as before so no place for things which we dont need.