1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Save Water

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by nandinimithun, Jun 14, 2011.

1. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

The alarm rang at sharp 6.30am, as usual I snoozed and continued sleeping, well I wasn’t so lucky enough to continue my sleep as my little one started waking me by kissing me and cuddling me, with a smile on my face I hugged my little darling and woke up.

I took her to bathroom to give her a shower so I turned on the tap and got a handful of water after 15minutes and wiped her entire body with that and pat dry with a towel, yes that’s the way I was forced to give her shower, because of the water scarcity which had happened everywhere.

Every drop of water was very precious and costlier than precious ornaments. My little angel wouldn’t believe when I told her in those days we had running water in the taps and, we would not turn off the taps inspite of water being filled in water tubs…………

We all thought there was lot of water bodies in the world so there would be no scarcity for water and we thought everyone is wasting water, so if I waste it will not make any change, there was lot of slogans and awareness regarding saving the water, however we were ignorant and careless and did not heed a word about those things. Only to repenting now, thinking something should have done. I remember as a child I saw lot of parks, gardens and greenery everywhere which was now replaced by lot of sky scrapers. 8 glasses of water was recommended for drinking those days, but now we are forced to drink only quarter glass of water irrespective of being thirsty.

My little angel was looking at me surprised and with her hands on her cheeks, she wanted to know when can she use water for her basic requirements, and she asked me why did the earlier generations not save water and why was there no initiative taken. I didn’t have any answers to my angel’s questions, I regretted and repented for not saving water which was very precious, I never realized that because of modernization was slowly making way to deforestation which in turn led to lack of rainfalls which meant scarcity of water.

I should have done my part of saving the water, however I had failed to do so, now I held my angel baby’s palm and promised that I would not waste water and will do my part of saving it, when suddenly I heard my husband’s voice, “ Hey nandu what are you blabbering, what do you want to save”?
    I opened my eyes and saw that my husband was next to me on the bed, It did not take much time for me to understand that the entire thing was a dream, I narrated everything to my husband who had a hearty laugh and agreed to save water and later I joined him in the laughter.

This dream made me realize that water is very precious and I will use water efficiently and do my part, I hope the coming generations are lucky enough to see the natural water bodies like river, lakes etc. I wish and hope that the future generations are not surprised by the mention of the word water.

This reminds me of the wonderful presentation by Dr Abdul Kalam, who created a beautiful presentation on save water, a must watch.

Let’s not wait for a day when we repent and curse ourselves and would have reached the stage where nothing can be done, let’s use water efficiently; I never want this dream to come true. So I will save water, what about you??

What are some of the steps you have taken to save water?

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Nandi,

Very nice flow of writeup and thought provoking too.
    Yes we have to save water by closing the tap properly
    if we are going out by locking the house we have check twice thrice whether all the taps are closed properly strictly this has to be followed now a days poeple are in flats. Keep up your valuable flow of writing dear.

3. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

That was a cute little writeup.

We always forget to appreciate the good things we are blessed with until the very moment we loose it.

I remember the days we used to play swing in the banyan tree branch above the huge pond in our native village which was the source of water for the entire stretch of about ten villages.

When i took my six year old son recently to the same place and retold the tales he asked "There was a pond here? you kidding me right?"

This is not a small problem like most think, this is one of those problems which is going to blow big all of a sudden and then we have no solution.

But the sad part is Nandini, it is not just the human consumption but also the nature that is into play here.
    We are due to a big change in the earth and this is one of them.

We need to face it embrace it and more importantly try to do the little something we can do (conservation) until it gets better or worse.

Thanks for the inspiring post.

4. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Sreemanavaneeth,
    Thanks for taking time in reading my article and commenting, very true we should check the taps properly, especially while planning a long vacation, leaky taps should be repaired at the earliest.
    Most important i feel is we should do our part of saving instead of blaming someone who is not saving the water.

Hi Iniyamalar,
    Thank u for your thoughtful comment.
    Well i can understand the surprice and shock of ur little one when he showed him the pond and it was not there.
    Very true we human beings dont realise things until we miss them, so i guess we should save water for the next generation also, so that they dont face scarcity for that.
    Our ancestors were wise and thoughtful to save water for us and now its our turn to do the same.

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Nice write-up about water conservation. It was / is / will be the need of the hour any day Nandhini Mithun. Thanks. -rgs