1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Save water and electricity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 23, 2013.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

On Sunday I saw Vijay TV programme " En desam En makkal." I was very much shocked to hear people saying how they struggle to get water. One lady was telling that due to water scarcity she could not wash the clothes and she goes to Chitambaram once in a week to wash the clothes. Her son was telling daily he takes bath and finish his morning ablutions in the office and he had to go the office early for this.

Another couple said that daily they take two big empty water bottles to the office and in the evening they fill them up and bring it home. Another lady said that to draw kolam in front of her house she has to sprinkle water and clean the place. For this she uses water collected from the AC machine.

Most of the people buy bottled water and cans for drinking purpose and some even for cooking, but the companies were on strike as the government started checking the quality of the water and also the cans also for cleanliness. So for 2/3 days people were left in lurch in search of water bottles and cans and some hoarded them when they got it paying high price from unscrupulous traders. :rant

All the water bodies get dried up when there is no rain and then people occupy them and build houses. The vast marsh land was a source for boosting water bodies at Pallikaranai and many other places. They have been occupied and commercial and residential buildings were raised there. Further many bore wells were dug and greedy people filled water tankers and started selling them. A person staying at Pallikaranai told that water in wells and in bore wells also gone deep down and in another month would completely dry up.

We all know that there is acute shortage of both water and electricity. So far only some polluted air is available freely. I am afraid our future generation would have to pay for air also if we do not take precaution. When we and our children were young we used to play in water hours together while taking bath. Now we have to manage just with one bucket full. Of course so far we do not have water problem in our area.

Please use water and electricity judiciously and also teach your children not to keep the tap open while brushing teeth or washing things. They should be also taught to put off lights and fans as and when they are not required. Water and electricity saved is to be saved and never to be wasted. I collect the water thrown out from AC machine and reverse osmosis water purifier and use them for watering plants.

"Drops of water makes an ocean," "Boondh boondh sey gada bhartha hai!"

Be prudent and save water and electricity as much as you can. When things are available free we fail to recognize the value. :bonk

5 people like this.

2. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Yes OP I think it is very important to remember that water is a very scarce resource. I always tell my in-laws not to keep the faucet continuously running when they are brushing their teeth and my Mil tells me - why do you care, we have 24-hour running water! I tried to explain that because we waste water a lot of folks have water problems... But it falls on deaf ears.

But here is what I do now. I try to change myself - I think when Gandhi said embody the change you want to see - he literally meant that by taking little steps ourselves we can try and hope that people around us see us and change.

Thank you for reminding me why it is important to save water! And since we are the topic of summer and water shortage - everyone don't forget to keep a small bowl of water in your window - the sparrows get thirsty and will visit you when they need a drink!

1 person likes this.
  3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

well said pushpa mam....

My heart would wrench when I see people who waste water and electricity...

4. 123thirumala

123thirumala Silver IL'ite

i faced a problem with my neighbour just i said not to waste water she said that what is ur problem i am paying bill to the water its my wish she is pg student started quarelling oh god !! so left her to fate

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear arch,

Thanks for dropping in and posting your fb.
    People will never understand unless they experience the difficulty themselves. In Rajasthan and many other places people has to walk miles to get a pot of water.

Daily we keep water in our terrace for birds. Crows, pigeons and even squirrels also drink water. Crows pick up food like bread crumbs and other things and they dip them in the water and then eat. They even cool themselves by drenching their wings in the water. It is real fun to watch them.
    PS

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Prana,
    It is very sad that people do not realize the value of things until a scarcity arises.
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Thirumala,
    Last week during the strike of the water bottling plants many people could not get water even thogh they were willing to pay more than what they used to pay.
    People like your neighbour will learn only when they face this kind of situation.
    PS