satyanarayna pooja?

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Laxmi, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello madam,
    My MIL used to do and still continues to do the Sathyanarayanan pooja on the Pournami - Full Moon day.
    After her ardent poojas she got her first son ( my hubby) and named him after the lord.
    So I am also interested in continuing the ritual.
    Is there a pooja format for sathyanarayanan pooja.
    If so pls. post that whenever u find the time ( I can imagine the efficient time management u have to to do what with requests for so many recipes, pooja format, slokas.)
    bye and happy parayer sessions.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

About Sathyanarayana Puja !

Dear Laxmi,
    I am aware that the above puja is performed specially on pournami day. As far as I know, it is more common for telugu & Kannada speaking people. I have never performed it and hence not competent enough to give the format.
    Sorry for not being to help you & that too, when you are asking me for the first time in this forum.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sree Satyanarayan Poojai

Dear Laxmi,

I do Sree Satya Narayan poojai regularly. I find it very fulfilling. I have a very simple format in which I do Ganesha poojai, Venkatachalapathi ashtottaram, Sree Satyanarayana ashtottaram and Mahalakshmi ashtottaram. Then read the Satyanarayana stories (5 of them). Do aarti.

Offer Maharshtrian type sheera of five items(rava,milk,ghee,sugar,bananas) preferably in 1.25 meaures. Teertham of curd + tulasi.

I dunno if this is the approved format, but works for me. If u need any details on this, pls pm me.

regards
    Vidya

1 person likes this.
  4. mkalai

mkalai New IL'ite

hi all
    i want to perform satyanarayana pooja at home on purnima, so anybody who knows about it please tell me the method to perform the pooja and the slogam in tamil. if english also ok.
    regards,
    kalai.

5. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

We do this pooja very often. I useually do it on ekadasi. U have chosen poornima,that is also good day.

First u have to do vinayaka pooja and navagraha pooja...sometime we do astadekapalka pooja also. Then we do satyanaryana pooja...then follows katha.

For this I make prasadam with wheat rava. It is just like anavaram prasadam.

In this pooja,setting the mandapam and placing the navagraha's is the main thing. U can search in the web how to put the navagraga's position in front of satyanaryana swami.

Here is the link for the pooja:
    Satyanarayana Swamy Pooja Vidanam And Katha - By India Vilas

sorry this link in telugu,I don't know any Tamil links.Search the web,u may find it.

The following link has tamil version of pooja and they are giving video also. But u have to register in the site.
    Pooja - Tamil - Slokas.com

I hope it will help.

Regards
    Srilak

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hello Kalai,

Welcome to Indusladies. I do SriSatyanarayan pooja in a simple format. I chant (and do archanai) for Vinayagar with ashtottaram. Then do archanai for Venkatachalapathy with ashtottaram, Satyanarayanar with His ashtottaram, read Satyanarayan Katha, read Mahalakshmi Ashtottaram. Do naivedyam of banana, curd with sugar, ksheera(five things- rava,milk,sugar,ghee,banana).

Sometimes, I am not able to do archanai, in which case only chant ashtottaram. At times, it is only Vinayagar and Satyanarayana ashtottaram.Also at times, naivedyam is not all the above mentioned,one or two. I keep it simple so that I will not tire out and do it regularly. I choose Pournami,Ekadashi,Sravanam or Saturday.

This is not the perfect format, but me and Satyanarayanar are okay with it.

If you want full pooja format in Tamil, try the site www.ahobilam.com.They have given a very elaborate version with all details, slokams etc.

Goodluck.

7. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

Re: satyanarayna pooja

Satyanarayana Pooja

Satya Narayan is the Narayan form of Lord Vishnu. The Lord in this form is considered an embodiment of truth. Satyanarayana is worshipped commonly by Hindus in their homes with family and friends, usually on a full moon (purnima) day of the month. In this puja called Satyanarayana. This story was originally told by Lord Vishnu himself to the sage Narada for the benefit of humankind.
    This puja is conducted to ensure abundance in ones life. Many people carry out this puja immediately after or along with an auspicious occasion like a marriage or moving into a new house or any other success in life. The satyanarayan puja can be performed on any day. It is not a puja confined to any festivities. But Poornima (full moon day) or Sankranti are considered to be most auspicious day for this puja. Performing this puja in the evening is considered more appropriate. On the day of the puja, the devotee has to fast The prasad for this vrita is known as Shira which is prepared thus: Recipe for making Shira: Quantity: 7-8 Plates Shira.Material: 2 Vati Rava (Sooji), 1¾ Vati Sugar, ½ Vati Ghee, Badam (Almonds), Manuka (Resins), Charoli, Keshar (Saffron), BananaProcedure: Roast Rava in a utensil in ghee to make it well done i.e. color changes to brownish.Add same amount of water as Rava if it is fine,.Add water 1½ times the quantity of Rava, if Rava is coarse.Heat & stir well till the water evaporates. Add sugar & heat again.Add Almond pieces, small circular pieces of banana, saffron, elaychi powder etc…Control the heat & stir well to ensure that the lumps are not formed; shira is not too thick nor too thin like paste.
    The Pooja or Vrata
    The vrata is explained in five chapters. The first or the introductory chapter deals with the timing of the vrata and the procedure to go about it. The remaining four chapters contain three stories to reassert the greatness and benevolence of the Almighty. The stories weave out such anecdotes, which reveal the significance of the vrata quite effectively. The vrata is also revealed in nine chapters in some books
    On the day of the vrata, it is required to fast and perform the pooja towards the evening. In a sacred pooja room, a new cloth has to be spread on an elevated platform. Rice about a Kg is to be spread on the cloth and in the centre and a kalash capped with a new cloth piece should be placed and on that the token or a small idol of the Lord has to be positioned. A Panchamruta (a mixture of ghee, milk, sugar, honey and curds) abhishekam has to be performed.

Vrata begins with the lighting of the lamp, a symbolic gesture of lighting the lamp of devotion in one's heart. Then we pray to Lord Ganesha, the dispeller of obstacles, Lakshmi, the giver of prosperity, Vishnu, the sustainer, Lord Shiva and Parvathi, the primordial couple who dance their way to cosmic rhythm, Sun God, the giver of good health, the nine planets and Ashtadikpaalakas including Lord Indra Lord Ganesha and Panchaloka Paalakaas should be positioned to the north of the Kalasha and can be worshipped through areca nuts or almonds or turmeric pods or dry dates. Later, the nine planets should be worshipped by placing areca nuts on betel leaves followed by Lord Indra and other Dikpaalakaas. Later the Lord Satyanarayana's idol or image on betel leaf should be worshipped through panchamruta abhisheka. The pooja runs in ashtottara or satanaama attributes and culminates with haarathi and taamboolam. At the end of the vrata there is udvaasana, a formal way of concluding the pooja. The vrata can be performed by every devout individual by inviting brahmins, friends and relatives. The underlying spirit is to bring in as many people as possible into the divine cult.

Pooja Materials:

A book on the vrata (It is preferable to seek help of a purohit), a square platform, mango leaves, two new cloth pieces, kalasha, lord's idol or a photograph, turmeric, kumkum, panchamruta, six coconuts, prasada, four oil lamps, sandal paste, incense sticks, betel leaves, two garlands, areca nuts, turmeric pods, dry dates or almonds, camphor, offerings in form of cash or coins, tulsi leaves and flowers

8. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

Madam,
    the poja arrangement for satynaraya pooja plaease go over the PDF file attached

.The PDf file should be downloaded and to be saved. in the computer. The file will be opened in acrobatic reader only

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  9. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I want this katha in hindi. If anyone of you having it can you please scan that for me .
    Thanks in advance

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone.
    Are you all performing the puja yourself... Not calling any pandit for the same.................