Saturday2Sunday getaways from Chennai

Discussion in 'Travel' started by zingy, May 28, 2010.

1. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Most of us who have just weekend off without the good old holidays like pooja,Christmas pongal,summar Vacations would like to to know what are the different destination options available for the weekend drive away.
    Let me start with we went 2 months back which is a well known place especially among school kids , our very own Vaedanthangal

A FAQ about the place

1) What can you see there ?
    'thatai vayan' N friends, Scenic lake ,Beautiful country side,chinna tirupathi temple(ofcourse you need to do small trek)
    P.S:'thatai vayan' is spoonbill from our LKG books

2) What is the place called ?
    Vaedanthangal (Vaedan= hunter thangal=lake History : used to be hunting spot)

3) Where is it ?
    Vaedanthangal village ,Around 12 kms from chengalpet (1.5 hrs drive from Tambaram,chennai)

4) How do I go there ?

1) BY public transport :Chennai to chengalpet buses and trains is available
    Frequent buses are available from chengalpet that goes to santuary entrance
    2) ofcourse by car or byke

5) where do I stay there?
    Govt forest guesthouse is available . Rent is very afforadable
    Room with AC costs 450 for a days . 12:00 PM is the check in/out time

6) How do I book the guesthouse?
    Guesthouse can be booked in the Guindy childrens Park office .
    Guesthouse was very clean and neatly maintained witha caretaker.Please remember to specicify AC and check if they have noted in your booking copy .We didn't :rant
    7) What about food?
    Cofee,tea and milk is available in guesthouse on request (This is not covered in rent).Food needs to be taken care by us . Please note this is a Village , serene and away from city so no hotels,big shops are there. We carried our own katuchoru (chappathi,idli,snacks , Milk /apple for my 1 year old niece)

8) Directions/Route
    From tambaram/chennai we need to travel along the GST road in NH45, after crossing chengalpet bridge,palar bridge,mamandur(pepsi factory on right) ,pukkathurai junction , go little further to reach padalam koot road .you need to take right from here and again it is straight road. you will reach vedanthangal after crossing small villages

Now about our trip:

We were group of 5 and we started from tambaram at around 3:00. It took us approximately 1.5 hrs to reach vedanthangal . we recahed there at around 4:45 which was the correct time. we checked into guesthouse and immediatly went to bird sanctuary.Evening is apt time for taking picturesowing to the direction of the sun.
    We were in sanctuary till they chased us away :) as they close @ 6.We went back to guesthhouse , Played in swings,slides and whatever which was there and was reserved for kids, Had food we had brought, Gulped the coffee given by Care taker Explored the village . we came back to guesthouse to play cards and ofcourese to sleep. Next day we got up at 5 and went to sanctuary to see the bread earner birds starting for the work :). It was very good sight to see them take off . some started feeding in the lake. I will post some of the pictures of these soon. We spent good 4 hours there and came back to hog our left overs and take off. I should not forget to mention about child 'artist' (literally) 10 year old whom I met. he has won many prizes for paintings at national level.(will post his pictures too). Overall it was memorable experience .

Other info
    Binoculars are available for rent (50 rs ) . It will definitely be worth renting one :thumbsup. Also In the evening powerful binoculars are fitted in watchtowers and there is also a person who tells about 'thatai vayan', 'araival mukkan', 'manveti vayan' etc etc . We need to give special Thanks to the people who took so much trouble to name our friends :rotfl

Do share your ideas/experience for weekend getaways from chennai

Last edited: May 28, 2010
    Godschild likes this.

2. zingy

Pictures taken by : Bhava,Sis,cousin,cousin's DH and ofcourse urstruly

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. zingy

Another set :)
    First picture was taken with camera on binocular
    Second Picture is BoatClubRoad of vedanthangal

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Zingy,

A very nice and informative post on Vedanthangal.
    The pictures were scenic and evergreen and would definitely inspire a lot of our ILites to visit vedanthangal.

Thanks for the share :thumbsup

5. zingy

Corrigendum : In forest guest house @ Vedanthangal we get all types of food including non-veg, if we give the order to the care taker will prepare for us . This will be charged separately.:)

6. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much for the first hand information. I hope many of us would be happy to go for a trip to this get-a-way after reading this post.

7. PriyaNatarajan

PriyaNatarajan New IL'ite

Hi,

very nice pics zingy. :) i liked the 4th one.ur niece... very cute . nicely captured. After 3yrs of life in US, am back to india for good. i didnt know that chennaities are enjoying with these kind of short trips during weekends. i have not seen many places in india, but almost covered most of the places in Eastern US like Newyork, Florida (Disney) , Washington, Chicago, many national parks and had lot of fun enjoying nature .
    i wud like to get more tips ( getaways ) to beat this summer. thanks for the excellent pics zingy. :thumbsup have a g8 time.

8. zingy

Thanks for the feedback Ubellah and Priya.
    I will be posting my next getaway soon and :yes: It is a place where you can Chillout!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Zingy, this is really the thread i have been wanting to start. Thank you so much for posting the information on weekend get aways that will interest kids. Nice pics too. Is there a good time of the year to visit it, i.e. are the birds there throughout the year or only a particular season?

10. zingy

Thanks for the fb . Though birds are there throught the year Best time for the visit is from Oct to March when we will get to see our rare Visitors without Visa:)from abroad (siberia,pak,russia etc)