1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sarvam Swarna Mayam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, May 8, 2016.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

SARVAM SWARNA MAYAM

-----------------------------------------------

Ravi, a class 1V staff in a bank ,on his wife’s insistence, has decided to invest Rs 80, 000 in a 30gm gold chain keeping in mind his seven year old daughter’s marriage to be conducted 15 years later.He is never bothered about the educational expenses he has to meet just next month in securing college admission for his son.What a great planning Akshaya Tritiya has evolved!Getting into huge debts with pawn broker within a few days!

Man's craving for gold has a mesmerizing effect on everybody at home.

The entire house is very busy.There are no late risers.Finish off the breakfast in mts.!Mother-in-Law, Daughter-in-Law conflicts get vapourized into thin air.They make a beeline in front of jewellery shop..evidently in a jovial mood of selection process.

Contrary to expectations nothing has grown all these years,except the price of gold.We do not buy gold alone.Along with gold, certain free buys are thrust on you--fear,insecurity and tension..

My friend who is a staunch believer of auspiciousness lost her cash and credit card in the first year, relieved of her thali chain in the maddening crowd in the 2nd year and met with an accident in the 3rd year.She needed three consequent incidents to realise her stupidity.

What is the basis of auspiciousness?Is it greed for the rich, uncertainties for the middle class, and desperation for the poor?

It was not just the gold and jewellery traders who cashed in on the beliefs of auspiciousness or quest for prosperity. Supermarkets, car and finance companies ,realtors have also fallen in line.

From a day of giving years ago, Akshaya Tritiya has become a day of consumption in anticipation of divine dividends for one whole year for both the rich and the poor .

It reminds you of George Bush: consume more, you will get more.

It has transcended all religion, caste and communities.Is it a way to re-establish secularism?

We cannot question beliefs. It's personal and hurting them is sacrilege.

Akshaya Tritiya is a fantastic example of the great Indian superstition industry which may be worth several billion dollars.

zero laws and windfall returns!What a fantastic theme!

Akshaya Tritiya has always been there in the annals of the ritualistic and the religious. The holy intention of giving charity has metamorphosed into a novel idea of’gifting yourself’ with the same or more rewards than charity..What a noble vision!

And gold captured their imagination better than anything because Indians are crazy about the glitter of the yellow metal.

China is not far behind.If it is Akshaya Titiya here,it is Feng-Shui’ in China. China has created a "Feng Shui" economy. Apparently, in China, Feng Shui masters have become the guests of honour of the Chinese elite and "people have become psychologically dependent on it.The two neighbours are birds of the same feather.

Along with mega scientific advancements,there is an equally strong explosion of many religious beliefs among all the nations, -be proud that India tops the list- along with economic boom.What a great service Akshaya Tritiya has done in creating reassurance amidst growth of uncertainties!

It is faith on the atomic soft yellow element hoping it will magically turn their lives into alchemy. As if the man made system of days and years was going to control our actions and somehow forgive our sins to give us all wealth?

The earth keeps revolving around the sun. That didn’t change. The scorching summer drives us mad. That didn’t change either. People were born, living and dying. Even that didn’t change. But purchase of a gram of gold on Akshaya Tritiya can change it all!

Superstition has plagued us for ages and always will. It is the basis for satisfying our hurt egos when something goes wrong. Because we are not prepared to accept ourselves as the root cause for any emerging problem.

Business giants have employed more pundits as their counsellers to ascertain more dates like Akshaya Tritiya from Puranic events.There is religious fervour attached to every business.

Master minds are realtors who can simply brain wash you and sell the high end flats magnifying unimportant facilities like Gym, swimming pool, club house etc etc undermining essential features like water, drainage and the most important genuineness of title deeds.The faith in the ‘day’ mars it all.Once trapped,there is no escape.What is Akshaya-ever undiminishing-is becoming victims to cheating in every aspect.

After all God is hidden in GOLD also_Once that 'L' denoting lust is removed,the eternal God shines.
    Jayasala 42

vaidehi71, hope2b, girvani and 3 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Again, a real eye-opening snippet here. All these days, the world was afraid of yellowish plutonium core but I understand that the yellow metal can cause as much harm to the world as this plutonium core. What is so fascinating about this metal? Is it about its brilliance?

The world of superstition is established through many means for many centuries and the trend to promote consumerism to buy the yellow metal is one of them.

Viswa

3. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Interesting read , but I cant relate as I have never done any buying on akshay tritiya or any other auspicious day. Buy Only when it is convenient.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Akshay tritiya was always meant to be a festival when people considered it auspicious to buy gold. However, I have never witnessed the kind of craze for this festival in my childhood, as one sees today. Basically, 'have money, will buy'. Fine if it stops there. It is when it turns to 'will borrow, go broke but will still buy' that it becomes a problem.

The irony of it all is that most of the 'haves' are turning to costume jewellery these days and gold is becoming passe. So I don't see why they would go and kill themselves in long queues and crowds trying to purchase something which is of no value to them except as an investment. Even so, buying on Akshay tritiya day is not a great idea financially because the value of gold always shoots up on that day. If I wanted to invest, it would make more sense for me to buy when it was cheapest and sell it when the prices go through the ceiling!

5. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala amma,
    I loved the last sentence
    After all God is hidden in GOLD also_Once that 'L' denoting lust is removed,the eternal God shines.

As a Srilankan I didn't know about this festival until I moved to Qatar. The amount of people queuing in front of the jewellery shops were astonishing. I always wondered when and where these people will get a chance to wear all these jewelleries.
    However, I learnt about the real meaning of this festival about giving cloth and food for the needy.

Thank you
    Vani