1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saree Tips For The Pleasantly Plump?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Rihana, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The saree is a supremely forgiving garment. It does not differentiate on the basis of body types. It is meant to suit all sizes. It is meant to bring out the femininity and grace of all women. That six yards of fabric can work wonders on how a woman looks and feels. Source

All the above is fine and dandy. :icon_writing:

The quest in this thread however is this:

Kindly share saree tips for pleasantly plump women. Tips you have read, heard from friends, or do's and dont's that you learned through your own experience.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A new tip I read today was that the saree border should be thinner or just a lace trim. I am getting nostalgic about the perfect width border of my first Mysore silk saree.

I wonder which blouse patterns from the current trends look good on pleasantly plump women.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Same or similar color saree and blouse. And the small borders were also favored by my aunts who had to contend with being plump and short. Fabrics that drape fluidly are better than stiff ones.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this post.
    To be honest, I am not wearing sarees since I look very plump in the recent years. I haven't bought any sarees in the last 7 years. When I moved to US, I bought a saree or two from India which I haven't worn it till today.
    I do saree shopping online for the family members and send them over.

I am tall but very plumpy. So I always go with either kurta or the western dress. Thanks for this post. I think this will motivate a little too wear the saree again.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Darker shade sarees show plumpy ladies , little slimer. Regarding the body design vertical lines are preferable than the horizontal lines. Blouse sleeve length should not be too short.

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

IMHO, one should wear what he/she likes to and not depending on how other's will see or judge you. Ofcourse, that cannot mean wear bikini in office or go to temple in shorts.
    But when choosing about sarees, you don't have to choose only dark colors or with small borders just because you are plump.
    But yes, how you wear the saree and carry it once draped on you is what matters.

Even organza or cotton sarees if worn properly can look elegant.

Also when you drape a saree and see yourself, you might know which type of sarees suit you in comfort and style.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

This Image Would Fit The Bill

upload_2022-11-25_20-49-42.jpeg

8. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

Avoiding big borders, bigger prints, light colors, horizontal stripes, high neck blouses are typical tips