saree+chudi - 2 in 1-hurry up

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by ish_nalini, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Hi LAX !!! (varaloo)

I can feel your feelings since both of us are chennaities....Really i feel pity for chennai based people....Even though Government knowledged about the situation happening in T.Nagar shopping plaza's they were not taking necessary steps to align the traffic.It's miserable to see other people travelling via T.Nagar.It will be better if the ruling party take action to construct a over bridge in T.Nagar.

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Nice thread and interesting too. I am purchasing from Chennai silks for the past four years.(I am having the card too) and for Krishna's poonal also we purchased pattu sarees to all our relatives in their shop only. What you have to do is, you must be the first customer for the shop.:thumbsup Yes from Madipakkam I used to go there. But I will reach there by 9.30AM even when we go for kumaran and Nalli we use to do this. When we enter they will be doing some pooja and ask us to wait for a min. :-D It took only 2 hours for us to select more than 25 sarees and some salwar set. Dress for Krish and his father.

Because we 3 hate rush. Before 'rush' you can return and selecting and billing will be easy. This is my experience.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

It is a long time since we all went to T.Nagar, but let me give you the experiences of my neighbour who went for Diwali shopping yesterday. As her son and daughter are having their thalai Diwali this year(first Diwali after marriage), they all went for the purchase. There was no parking space and the whole Usman Road was very bad as a bridge is being constructed. (some one wanted one there is it not). They went to purchase in Pothys and the lift was not working so they had to climb up and down for the purchase. They need not walk but just stand at the entrace facing the shop and you will be pushed inside and when you want to go out of the shop you just need to stand facing the exit then you will be pushed out. This is what said by the uncle who is 70 years and who wanted to purchase something nice for his daughter and DIL for the Diwali. The worst part is they didnot get any parking place and their car was parked in West Mambalam and they had to walk all the way out there.

About the billing experience, shops like Nalli, Kumaran, RMKV etc all have billing and payment counters in all the floors and you could either bill the products in that that floor or go to the groundfloor and bill everything all together. But in shops like Chennai Silks, Pothys, Saravana Stores, you get something on the top floor and you will be given a coupon or token take it to the ground floor to bill and at times you will find the product that you have selected is not there but instead you will find something different. If you are lucky you will get a chance to change if not you will be forced to take what ever you get and if you say that you are not taking whatever is there, you are even abused at times by the sales people. And the billing counter also have a long queue and if you make a fuss about it you are again taken for a six.

Shopping in T.Nagar have all gone days. I have nostalgic memories of shopping in T.Nagar when I was young but I am just so afraid to take my kids to that area for the fear of loosing my kids there in the crowd:bang:bang:bang:bang

4. krishnaamma

HI Rajmi,

It is too bad to hear. In GRT, Lalitha, Nalli, Kumaran and in Chennai silks, they are having seperate parking place. You can park the car there. But before you take the car, you have to show the purchased bill to avoid confusion. And insome place they are giving token for our parking. We have to get a stamp on that after your pur. from the cash counter. After pur.no need to go to the parking area carring all the things you purchased. They themselves call the drivers or announce the car number and the driver will come and pick us from the enterence of the shop.

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Krishnamma maam,
    Chennai Silks have gone from bad to worse, they have building violations etc etc on them and their car park is also been removed. People going there have to park their car in one of their side roads. They have started constructing a bridge in Usman Road opp to GRT so there are a lots of traffic diversion. My father's office is there in T.Nagar luckily near WTR so he need not travel through Usman Road, but still he says the traffic is so heavy as there are lots of diversions.

6. krishnaamma

Hi Rajmi,

Thanks for the information. I am talking about last year deepavali time. After seeing your mail, I think I have to avoid going T. Nagar this time.:-D thanks for your information otherwise we would have struggled.

7. krishnaamma

Dear Raji,

Krishnaamma is enough . no madam. ok?:thumbsup

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Maam,

R u back from Saudi? It is ok that if you could go by train get down and walk through Ranganathan Street and go to Usman Road and do the shopping till last year. This is how we go from Tambaram as my daughter enjoys train travel but that too is ruled out this year.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi rajmi

It happened to us in pothy's last week...b4 veda left...the exact way your neighbour went in...but again the change..we went out through the emergency exit...scared off slipping...but we have decided not to shop during diwali...the discounts dont matter to us....

Rkmv car parking is always full. We had problems here because of the chip card reading....and some of the sale persons...being new...though a little on the costlier side, and they dont have much collection when it comes to the kids dresses especially for the teens...

I think off season is better...or i would prefer shopping spencer plaza better than tnagar....it is not so crowded comparatively...but i have not been there during festival season....so dont know to compare....

But the growth in t-nagar has gone out of proportion..no traffic diversions is going to help unless something concrete is planned.....

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Shanti,
    You know what, When I asked my husband about Diwali shopping he simply said let us go to Velachery. That is much less crowded and shops like Naidu Hall, Rex Fashions etc etc have come up there. Also there are shops like Europa where you could shop for men. Still keeping my fingers crossed. But I think Mylapore will be less crowded and if I get a chance to shop I think I could do it there. Dunno. My husband was telling that he will get dresses for the kids and for him (as I have some salwar sets which I have given for stiching which I will be getting before Diwali). And he chooses well too, so I think at the last moment I will have to forgo shopping for Diwali for the hattrick year.:-(