1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Saree Bags

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by gvi, Jan 29, 2008.

1. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Can anyone post the picture of a Saree bag . I am planning to ask my mom to buy it form India to store my silk sarees but not sure how it would like like.

Also if you would tell me how much the approx price would be that would be great.

Does anyone know where to buy saree bags in Madras?

Thanks
    Geetha

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I know what you mean - i too have a few - very convenient for storing sarees. It is just like a small suitcase but is made of cloth or plastic. The plastic ones are more sturdy and the transparent ones are handy as you can see what is in them without having to open it. I bought mine from bby but I'm sure you get them in most saree shops in chennai or in shopping areas like T.nagar.

hope this helps,

3. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Mythraeyi for your quick reply.

Few more questions

1. Are they heavy to carry? Since my mom has to bring atleast 4/5 for me to store was just wondering if its space consuming when she is packing her luggae
    2. Also is 1 bag for 1 saree or multiple sarees can be stored?
    3. I know you might not remember but whats the approximate cost for 1 bag?

Thanks again
    Geetha

4. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

No - they are made of cloth or plastic so very light and easy to carry. it's like a rectangular box with a lid and has a zipper on top. In fact your mom can use them to pack her sarees while travelling so they don't get crushed. Ironing sarees is a pain here! As for the cost it may be about 50 Rs each - not very expensive.

Hope this helps,

5. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

sorry - didn't answer completely. you should be able to store 5-6 sarees in one bag. more if the sarees are ironed well.

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Ladies,

with all the advances, Saree bags have undergone a makeover too. They are still available in the cloth or plastic variety, but i saw one which seemed to have plastic or cloth partitions inside the main bag, so that each of the sarees are not touching each other!! The saree bag I have is huge, it holds more like 10 to 12 sarees if ironed and folded nicely. Bought about 14 years back and still like brand new( i got mine in Mumbai).

Oh the cost is not 50 bucks anymore. More like Rs 100 to 200 range. Am sure T nagar shops will carry these.

Vandhana

Oh Geeta a packing tip for your mom: Ask her not to carry too many sarees from India( especially the pattu ones). She can wear all yours. let her bring more blouses and petticoats. The saree space can be kept for bringing other stuff.

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Interesting to note about these bags. Is it to be kept flat on a shelf ?

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    just a few months back, I bought a blouse bag from Big Bazaar, Bangalore. It is available in their branch in Chennai also. They cost around 100. Saree bag is also available in Big Bazaar itself. itis padded thick. Get one ortwo blouse bags also, they come handy too. You can put your silk blouses in one, embroidered in one etc.
    Also, saree bags canbe used to store our precious salwar kameezes also. I have got a few and now my wardrobe seems more tidy.
    Vandhana, I did not see any like the one mentioned, that would be more useful.

9. chakra

chakra New IL'ite

Hi gvi,

I bought my saree bags from Mumbai about 2 years back. They come both in plastic and fabric(like cushioned). They cost as less as 30 Rs. The plastic ones look almost like the comforter bags(the package) that you get when u buy bed-in-a-bag set, only smaller in size.
    They are very light in weight and not voluminous at all. So u can bring as many as u can.
    Chakra.

10. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Mythraeyi

I have the plastic sweater bags right now to store my pattu sarees. Read somewhere its not good to store silk sarees in plastic. thats the reason wanted to know abt this cloth bag.

Geetha