1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Sardarji Jokes - Please dont email me!"Are there other things that remain unnoticed?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prss, Jul 20, 2011.

1. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

I know that the topic here would have made you wonder what I am talking about. Yes, I am talking about Sardarji jokes. Those jokes that have made us laugh a lot and those that we want to proudly share with others.

Without understanding that we are making fun of a group of people who are also Indians - our brothers/sisters, we keep reading and passing jokes about Sardarjis every other day.

I never realised this until about a decade back, when internet and email had started entering into my life. Before that during my childhood days, I used to listen to these Sardarji jokes and have even shared it with my friends and family, since I found the jokes very amusing. I used to feel proud that I too knew to share jokes.
    But then, when there were jokes that could upset me (like jokes about women, plump people etc) , then I realised how bad it was on my part to make fun of a group of people, just because they were born in that group.
    From then on, I never liked Sardarji jokes. Even if I get emails, I delete them without reading them. Have even told a few close friends to avoid sending such emails to me.
    Recently in a movie, there was a dialogue which says that it is not right to make fun of Sardarjis because they are a group of people who are hard workers and that there is not even one sardarji who begs. I really appreciate the film maker for this one scene in his movie. What are good movies? Those that make us think, right? And, this is definitely one of those.

So, had there been things that you didn't take seriously and kept doing for a long time, but at one point realised and started practising? Like, becoming a vegetarian, not buying silk sarees (because it kills thousands of silkworms) etc. Please share them here.

This thread gives us all an opportunity to understand small things that had remained unnoticed so far in our lives.......
    Ofcourse, there are things that we have realised but still we keep doing the same, like, I still am on a non-vegetarian diet eventhough I know its not right to do so....... Please share those too if you want to..........

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    2 people like this.