Sankranthi Nomu

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by ygvc27, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ygvc27

ygvc27 New IL'ite

Hey..
    I was looking for process and ideas on sankranthi nomu. My MIL told me to give 13 things to ladies with til laddoo which are tied with threads and some sugar structure..shakara billalu kinds...
    So i was looking for some help on this...Anyone performs this nomu? What do you people do?

2. Hemasanda

Hemasanda Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Sorry I don't have any idea. Let us hope any of our Ilites will help us...better you can post this query in culture forum for more responses.

3. nalini468

nalini468 Gold IL'ite

Hi ygvc27,

Sankranthi nomu will be performed by few people in Hyderabad region... as far as i know.
    There are different things which they use for this nomu.
    Married women use 5 small clay pots along with clay plates on the top of them. Haldi/kumkum each placed in 1 cup, til with jaggery laddu 13 in qty(these will be prepared prior to the day of nomu), 13 things (these may be plates/spoons/cups/glasses or any such things) will be used for this. All these will be placed on a white cloth on Sankranthi day, do gouramma with haldi, place this on betel leaves along with betelnut, perform pooja and then do this nomu.
    After nomu is completed we can remove these and one set of laddu/haldi/kumkum/things are to be stored with us like we call it as inti nomu and the remaining 12 sets are to be distributed.
    The pots we can give for children to play, should not distribute them. or else we can use them for planting small trees like coriander leaves or so if the pots are a bit big.
    Even unmarried people can perform this nomu. But for unmarried people there is no need to use pots/haldi/kumkum/laddu. They only perform nomu for 13 things. But for the unmarried people to perform this nomu there should be atleast one person in the family who is married so that the married woman can do gouramma/pooja and do her nomu and then unmarried people can do their nomu.
    Hope this helps you.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. srilatha1

srilatha1 New IL'ite

Hi Nalini garu
    just wanted to know the reason for using 13 number.
    Any reason behibd this?
    And also let me know if there is any story/katha needs to be read during this nomu

5. archana17

archana17 New IL'ite

hii to every one
    those you all looking for sankranthi nomu procedure..please visit the link:

6. archana17

archana17 New IL'ite

For more videos on sankranthi nomu, bhogi, sankranthi visit the youtube channel name : "padmaja kanaparthi"

7. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

And what happens if for some reason we cannot do the nomu? Can we do it on another day? Or is it ok if we skip it for the year? My mother in law said it is compulsory but I did not do it this year... first time after marriage.. feeling little bad about it ..what can I do to compensate for it?