1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sahasranamam for us too...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

K,
    It is interesting to know that Bengalis call their children and others by their nicknames...
    When a girl or a boy is born in the family, they are named after their grandparents..as we are not supposed to call them by that name, as a matter of respect, they call the children by some other name...meanwhile, their 'original names' come to light only on their wedding invitations..where they add 'alias' to the original name.

sriniketan

2. Sriniketan

Kamalji,
    Nice to know your names too..which also proves, they name the person from their physical appearance.
    A tall guy was called to repair the house...it took sometime for him to finish off..(to tell the truth, he just finished it only half-way through and the rest was finished by my dh). My mil couldn't remember his name, so she referred him as 'nedungaadi', which means a tall one in Telugu. :biglaugh
    Your combination of getting new names is very very interesting. Let me try that too in my original name..:idea

sriniketan

3. Sriniketan

Sathya,
    You said it right.
    Usually the percentage of the survival rate for the petnames is more than the original name..which can be seen only in the official records.
    You are giving me ideas how to blog..taken note of it..:idea

sriniketan

4. Sriniketan

Vidhyalakshmi,
    Enjoyed the joke to the core...the former dialogue usual conversation in a household na...but the latter one to do the archana for the wife now..is unexpected..:biglaugh
    Thank you for dropping by to give the fb, good words about the thread and a good joke too!

sriniketan

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi srini,

i would really like to know the different names people have named me but right now maximum used is Mindi..hahhah because maximum touch with IL only everyday.Then friends and others you know what name they call me.:)
    but i also have one more name that is my grandmothers which is there only in all my certificates and wedding invitation .Keep guessing hahahh

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srini,
    A hilarious post!I feel in away we are greater than God!:)You may wonder why?When all the devotees of God are chanting the
    same names as Sahasranamam, We are described by different names by different persons depending on their mood.:)Am I correct?
    with love
    pad

7. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

So Srini alias bhargavi,need some compilation for riddle out the name unit.
    You know my name....Heeeee its not real.partly concealed.
    My Name tags continues still as Siraj ...Saroj,Saroja,Saro,Roj,Roja.
    (after joining IL, Its Aruna who revealed that its her close friend's name is Siraj...of opposite gender [​IMG])

And for now its Yashi,kushi,Yashikushi,YK..and the list longs.
    SO used to suspend for a while whenever gets my named called upon becose even beyond IL am delighted to wind up with the IL tag both by my DS and DH. [​IMG]

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dear Srini:biglaugh:biglaugh
    Only you can get such imagination...hahaha so you compared human names with God and Godess's names ahh...
    This is really cool one now I am sitting here and remembering how many names I have might not reach up to 1000 but atleast 50 for sure....hahahaha

9. Sriniketan

Mindi,
    Sorry for coming in this late to acknowledge some of your sahasranamams..:)
    I am also waiting to know, what names others have for me..but sometimes used to think, better not hear it...if it is not acceptable to me..:hide:guessing your grandma's name...can you give us a hint or show us your wedding invitation or the certificates..

sriniketan

10. Sriniketan

Padmini ma'am,
    Sorry for coming in late to respond to your fb.
    You are right, our names are spontaneous isn't it...not a registered one.:biglaugh

sriniketan