1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saga of Nath -The nose piercing

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by SwatiK21, Apr 29, 2010.

1. SwatiK21

SwatiK21 New IL'ite

Hi

I am Swati here from Pune

Maharshatrian ladies shringar is never complete without saree and beautiful nath , especially on auspecious days, marriage, any function or traditional day in office or college.

Behind every Nath / nose piercing there is different story and no two tells are alike- One lady might pierce to enhance her beauty while other feels it a bond between her mother and her grandmother while few of us enjoy it more as tradtion than fashion.

One thing is there no other ornament except nath/nose ring/nose piercing enjoyes place as traditional as well as fashionable.and equally best part is that nose ring and nath can be enjoyed without piercing ur nose also

By tradition in maharashtra we pierce nose on exclusively left side generally in young age or school days by a thin Gold wire which gradually graduates to our typical Ghughedar, pearl and diamond clad semicircular very beautiful nath which doubles the beauty of bride in her marriage, :cheers Although its reasonably heavy and had reasonably thick stem, in maharashtra womens enjoy wearing it for generations together,

Unlike other nose piercing/ ornament maharashtrian Nath is designed to wear on left sided nostril only - you just can not wear it on Rt side which makes it too unique:hatsoff and thats why you will always find left sided nose piercing only in maharshtra and it is passed in generatons - it is not supposed to break it and make new ornament So Nath has to be given to younG girl or bride in family, so mostly thE nath WE sport is same which our grandmother has used and by tradition it is handed over to eldest daughter or dauther in law, :wave: so nose piercing is not just nose piercing/ sporting Nath for most of us but thERe are deep family ties behind it,

In our parents generation it was must but next generation had hardly got their nose pierced and it was big No-No, :rant but for last 5-6 yrs specially after daily soap opera TV serials and Trent of Grand marriages Nose piercing and Nath had a great come back, rather getting nose pierced is a "cool" :cool2: and "hot" thing in we young generation, now if anybody in class comes with a nose pierced sporting a ring she is always wellcomed as "cccooooollllll !!! !! ! "

Actually few days back while browsing through her Jwellary box - my mother told me about the tradition of Nath in our maharashtrian families, how she had got it from her MIL and interestingly to much of my surprise she asked if i was willing to get my nose pierced :hide: - [i think reason might be- recently one of my cousine sister got her nose piercing done and she was praised a lot in our family ]

i found it chilling as well as surprising to get the question:coffee and many of my friends also told that they were also stumblelled on same question in thier family, so no doubt this thing is 'Hot senation' now a days

Everybody have their own tale about her traditional nath- like seeing on her grandma who tells u that she willbe giving it to u on ur marraige, seeing it sitting nicely in a jwellary box of ur mother, u must have thought to adorn ur delicate nose by this beautiful ornament atleast once, rather very maharashtrian girl thinks atleast once to get her nose pierced to wear this masterpiece and tradtional ornament which comes with blessing and love from parents and in laws as well.

i always love for the NATH though i didn't have pierced nose - but i posses a clip on one which looks equally wonderful.

This made me to DIsCUss The ISSUE among all oF us friends to share THE views. Computer Typing

Lets share the stories which are bound around this ornament
    like snippet's of life's thread- :thankyou2:

2. gayurags

gayurags New IL'ite

Nice :)

I did not know that the Maharashtrian nosering can be worn only on the left. How is that?

I am 40 and only recently got my nose pierced. I already had a second piercing on my ears, and was against the nose ring, even though my husband wanted me to get it. I had a feeling that the nose ring would make me look too old.

Recently, my son had his nose pierced. He is 18, and always wanted it pierced, but I kept saying no. I finally caved in to emotional blackmail from him, and personally gifted him a mango shaped diamond stud for his right nostril.

Seeing this, I too went ahead and got it on my right nostril, and now have a sparkling diamond stud.

Yours is a nice writeup by the way

Gayathri Raghavan

3. SwatiK21

SwatiK21 New IL'ite

hi
    thanks for dropping in,

In maharashtra the typical traditional nath which is called " Peshwai nath" which was a brilliant master piece of jwellary introduced by jwellers of that time [ peshwas- around 300 yr back] to adorn the delicate nose of Royal ladies only.

The ornament which is now commonly called Maharashtrian nath and available at Jwellery shop next door was initially only pride for royal ladies only - and it enjoyed its place for years together, gradually the new type was nath percolated to common people.

As you have asked the design is semicircular and little bit bend towards left side with multiple precious stones and pearls wowen in gold wire in such a fashion that it is turned towards left side and the Pin which is supposed tobe worn through the pierced nose rests in a lock{- the arrangmet just like our common safety pin but hundreads of year before safety pin invented :thumbsup}

So, Interestingly the classical piercing type nath for which the nose has to be pierced - preferably at midpoint of cerve of nostril, can be worn on left side only - on right side it doen't fit/ go through the piercing properly and does not look good as it does not fit/take shape of rt. nose

Interestingly in recent times non- piercing clip on type nath is available - its stem-pin is exacly in reverse way so it is supposed tobe cliped on from inside of nose - it can be worn on both sides- a new advantage for new invention - :idea Thanks to the inventor that many ladies can fullfill their wish to clad the beautiful nath without getting the[painful] nose piercing. However they most of the time look as beautiful and as traditional as the classical piercing type one, but u can enjoy them equally

Though magnetic and clip on maharashtrian nath is available widely in market which can be worn on Rt side you will hardly find any maharshtrian girl/lady with rt sided nath. sincerealy i have no friend who had Rt sided nose piercing, may be due to the tradtition only:)

4. gayurags

gayurags New IL'ite

Interesting...you are making me want to consider piercing my left side :) ... I'd love to, but I cant do it, a) the hole on my right is 2 months old, and hence I am worried that it wont heal and close up and b) since I prevented my son from getting his left side done, much against his wishes, I cant do it myself

5. Aarthiii

Aarthiii New IL'ite

Actually i did not like wearing nose rings but my mother would always insist me doing that..One day my mom showed me some pictures of our elder relatives like aunt and co wearing nose jewelery when they were young. she would describe each and every person and her nose ring style.and i and my brother were listening to her boring story...but my brother aged 21 got it right into his head and after two days emerged with a stud in his left nosetrill...i shouted with awk and my mother liked it soooooo much... she says seee my son listens to my words even if they were not for him,,but you never listen..... later after 2to 3 years he got bored with the stud and told mom that he going to quit it.mom gifted him a golden nosering with 3 to 4 balls suspended from it. and the ring was full of small studs..he wore it immediately and suddenly his face got a brightness..it attracted me a lot i could not stop my self from piercing my nose . my husband liked my nose ring very much...so go for it irrespective of your gender.

6. gayurags

gayurags New IL'ite

Aarthiii-

Very bad!! Mothers should not encourage their sons to dress up like this. I did not encourage mine, but had no choice after a point. The way you put it, your mother wanted to see her son have her nose pierced. Kindly avoid such things

7. shalinipriya

shalinipriya New IL'ite

Hi. I am shalini.I have been married for 20 yrs. I live with my husband , son and daughter. In my home everybody wears ear rings.I and my daughter wears jhumke and other ear jewelery ,hubby and son wear small rings. My husband always wanted me to wear his mother's nose studs. I did't have piercings then. Often he use to ask me to pierce my nose and also my daughter's. But looking at the thickness of his mother's studs i feared wearing them. I feel that i will look like grandma with those studs.
    But recently for my utter surprise my son got his nose pierced and appeared with a wire in his left nosetrill. I love him so much that i could't ask him to come out of it. Moreover i gifted him a beutiful 3 stone stud which has added a lot to his face. Now due to his nose piercing we both got our nose piercings. My daughter got one nose tril where as i got both . now daughter is wearing a small stoned ring with s small suspension of 3 shining balls. And i am wearing studs and come this Diwaali i will be changing to my mother-in-law's 6 stone studs.

8. sunitha100682

sunitha100682 New IL'ite

Actually i did not like wearing nose studs but my mother would always insist me doing that.. at the time my marriage mother-in-law also requested me to pierce nose and wear diamond studs.but i simply ignored their request:). i turndown idea of nose piercing.even after marraige my mother-in-law always insists to pierce nose because its tardition of my in-law's family. my M.I.L. insisted that i shouldpierce my nose as it is a tradition in their family although my elder co sister has pierced their noses . all family members pierced noses and some wearing nose studs on both sides . i am only person without nose piercing , later every one request me to have nose stud. after 6 months of marraige i agreed to pierce nose .my mother-in-law took me to jewel shop and buy medium size diamond studs for me. then we went achari for nose piercing , he asked for side of piercing , my m-i-l told him both sides, i totaly shocked . then i told only 1 side i wil pierce . after lot discussion , my right nostril pierced and inserted diamond stud in it. it look very good . then i realised that i delayed nose piercing. should have pierced much earlier.even i promised my m-i-l that i wil pierce left side later . i love my nose piercing and nose studs. i am feel grt to follow indian and family traditions.

thanking .
    sunithasreenivas,
    bangalore

9. Msoma86

Msoma86 Junior IL'ite

Hello Swati,
    This is a great article. I liked it very much. Let me tell you I am married and as per rirual both my nostrils were pierced. Left a few days before marriage and the right after a few months of marriage. In both cases my MIL wanted it to be. I had sported a nath on the wedding day only after that it is diamond stud. I liked the way you presented the Maharastrian Nath, would like to get one and try some day
    Bye Soma

10. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I am Tamilnadu. Can someone post a pic of this Nath?

I guess its the regular nose ring/pin..