Safety of Women in Kolkata

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by Roopali, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Roopali

Roopali New IL'ite

Hi,

I study in school and am about to graduate from it this year. As I grow up, I have started to notice that people in my family are getting worried about my safety. I am not allowed to go out after dark. My mom tells me to wear "proper" clothes.... She says that she is doing it for my own safety.

I just wanted to know.. Is there really a safety issue for women in Kolkata? Do I really need to worry?

Please help me..

2. sangeetamahajan

sangeetamahajan New IL'ite

Ohh you poor dear...

See our security is our own responsibility. These days, nobody, whether a girl, boy, old people and people from any age group are not safe. That's why, your parents are teaching you to be more cautious. They want you to be responsible and grow up. Wearing proper clothes is just a part of growing up. You are a big girl now :thumbsup and you must dress up that way.

Don't worry about the safety. There is no special threat to girls. Its just that you must be aware and try to keep yourself safe.

3. Roopali

Roopali New IL'ite

Thanks for the advice Sangeeta.. I know that I am grown up and I should dress up like one too. And that's exactly what I do. But the problem is that my parents still think of me as a child.

I have been going to school by myself for the last 6 years and know how to behave in public. I know that there are eve-teasers out there and that I should not talk to strangers etc. etc.

But why in the world, a girl has to lock herself in her house? :rant Why should I pay with my freedom for the ill-mannered people who can't respect women? I am not going to sacrifice my life just because some idiots can't seem to keep it in their pants.

4. diptisengupta

diptisengupta New IL'ite

Hello both of you,
    Kolkata is a much safer city in comparison to other metropolitans of India. This is a proven fact. You need not worry about that. However, your safety is always in your hands. You be careful always and do not think much about other things.
    Bye, Dipti

5. Saveourplanet

Saveourplanet New IL'ite

I can vouch for that. I have a friend who moved to Kolkata few years ago and she was surprised to see that Kolkata, the city which is considered to be very backwards in terms of women liberation, was very respectful towards girls. She told me that she has hardly ever encountered any eve teasing and she even goes out late in the night without any problems.

6. nandiita

nandiita New IL'ite

Saveourplanet, your remark is very surprising.

In a male-dominated country like India, it is only a few states like Bengal and the north-east which are less male-dominated as compared to the rest of the country.

So, why would Kolkata be very backwards in terms of women's liberation?

7. papiyarose

papiyarose New IL'ite

I was born and brought up in Kolkata and have visited and stayed nearly in all major cities of India (my Dad was a Central Govt. employee and had a transferrable job). Presently, I'm located in US with my husband. Take it from me... there is no more safer place than Kolkata for women - it is much safer than US too...

The rest of India has an uncanny idea that we from Kolkata are the most backward and they pride themselves as being superior. That's idiocy! Kolkata is one of the most developed cities in India. When people from rest of India come... they love to visit the slums of Kolkata but why don't they visit Sector V? They'd know how beautiful Kolkata is.

Take anything!! For instance the Metro - come to New York and see for yourself how clean is our Metro... And what is the cost of taking a ride in new York's Metro? Nearly USD100 (That's Rs 4000) per month and what is ours - Nearly Rs.500 for the same distance and more comfort.

8. aparnamukherjee

aparnamukherjee New IL'ite

Hey Roopali,
    You asking whether Kolkata is safe for women or not? Of course dear, it is the safest compared to Delhi, Mumbai. But that does not mean that there are no crimes and other mishaps taking place in Kolkata, they do take place, but the rate is lower. Neither do you nor your mother need to worry about your safety.

And wearing proper dresses definitely depends up on you and not how safer the place is. Stay calm and always be positive dear. You need not worry much. Enjoy your life to the fullest.

Love, Aparna

9. Roopali

Roopali New IL'ite

Nice to know.... Now please tell this to my family also.. My parents think that they are the last two good people left on this planet and the rest of the world is just out to either kill me or kidnap me. :rotfl

Actually its not entirely their fault as one of my far away cousins was kidnapped and murdered few years ago... I think that's why they are going totally baawra about my safety.

10. sayontighosh

sayontighosh New IL'ite

That's sad about your cousin... the worry of your parents can be justified, you need to understand their worries... Make them comfortable and assure them that you are big enough to keep yourself safe...