Safe Hair removal methods during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies ...

I would like to know how other women feel about hair remove during pregnancy? In which pregnancy term is safe to use those products?

Is it safe to use hair removing creams like Veet or Nair during pregnancy. Or is it good idea to shave or wax? But it must be hard to reach when you are in advance stage of pregnancy? So, what method would you think is safe to clean your legs and personal area before visiting to the doctor for internal check ups?

I know its very personal question, may be lots of women will hesitate to answer my question. But doesn't this question comes in mind to every pregnant women?

I hope...I didn't offend ladies by asking this question. Thank you.

regards

2. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi amicable,

I too have the same question.....??! If u get any private message, pl do PM me also.

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I am now 30 weeks.I usually use epilator but these days find it more comfortable to use depilatory creams like Veet. Yes,it is very acrobatic to remove hair during the pregnancy period but I have been managing it quite well till now. It is not necessary to remove hair in private parts each time u go for a check-up but if it is a must,you can use any of those bikini area creams.

4. momtobe

momtobe New IL'ite

Waxing has worked for me till now...of course i have to get it done...not much comfortable with shaving and creams...any good parlour would specially take care of pregnant ladies. Mine does. :)

And i dont bother about shaving private area..i am scared i might catch an infection in the process!!

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

I was also worried about this for quite sometime. But better not to do than taking the risk of getting an infection in the private area.

At this stage, walking around with my weight is a big achievement bonk
    so I dont even think of those things

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

for me shaving has worked the best. i've way too much hair on my legs to wax by myself and in germany it's very expensive to get it done in a parlour. i used to epilate but ever since it broke down i've been shaving (for the last 5 years... talk about efficiency!). i've always shaved my private part before a trip to the gynaec... do they comment if one doesn't? i'm always scared about getting a comment on such things esp being a foreigner shakehead

7. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I have found shaving to be the easiest way to get rid of unwanted hair in arms, legs and underarms. While waxing can't be done quickly at home without someone to help, all the hair removal creams have to be applied and you need to sit in the restroom for sometime before they start working. As I don't have patience for this, I started shaving my arms and legs a couple of years ago and it has been working well for me.

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi traveller,

Dont be offended by my question, but I cant see anything below my belly button for weeks now, and I dont remember in months when I can reach the calf even.
    so any ideas of how to manage with that?

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

hee hee.. true what you say! what i did... acrobatics;) well i used to stand/ sometimes sit on the bathroom floor and shave just by the feel of my hand (in tamil we say 'neppu mela') but i think basically if you've not so much hair growth it's okay. i don't think all women shave fresh and then go to the hospital for delivery shakehead actually i stopped bothering in the last 2 weeks since it was just impossible. i wanted to ask you something else too:) as i told in my previous posts my boy was born in India. but for this second delivery i have asked my parents to come (due date is early June) and help out here. My son goes to a nursery and it'll be easy to manage him here rather than 6 months in madras summer. but i'm a bit skeptical about as to how my parents will manage here... i mean with the language etc., they'll be completely dependent on us even to buy milk. what do you feel now that your parents will join you and that too in cold weather? Latha

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Thanks for the post : smile:

I am also in the same situation as yours regarding parents coming here for delivery. Here in finland its expected to be as low -15 to -30 during Jan Feb.
    Further more my mom had her ear operation recently which makes things complex.
    As you say, even for buying milk, its going to be difficult.
    However I am in the process of making a list of things to be done.

I am due by Feb 13th. So I have asked my parents to come only by Jan end. So that lesser the time they spend during winter. I sent them a list of winter garments to be purchased and have been chanting about the weather condition for a long time to make them mentally prepared for it :idea. Anyways its going to be a trouble for them becoz in India it would be around +20 and they would be landing when its -20, so a difference of 40 degress is likely to cause trouble. So they cant go out for a week atleast till they get used to the weather conditions.

I will be going on leave from Jan 11th. So I am planning to make a list of all groceries needed and buy it for more than a month. Milk, curd are the two things which I have thought that I will buy the UHT treated ones which have expiry date of around 2 months. So in that way even if milk is bough in bulk and stored they shouldnt be a problem as in my office here, I have seen that they are buying UHT treated milk in bulk and storing them, there seems to be no problem. Vegetables I have noticed that when we buy, cut them and put it in freezer they stay for more than 3-4 weeks. So that way I shall shop till the time I can and do the storage in freezer. After that its my husband who has do to some running around for all the things.

Also in hospitals here, they allow only the father to be during the entire day and night time no one is allowed. Even mom also can visit only during the visiting hours.

We also have an additional immediate work of following for the baby's passport as we are planning to travel sooner we get the passport.

So like this a lot of confusions and anxiety going on. Hopefully things will get managed is what I pray.