1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sad about husbands smoking habits

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sadwife80, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Sadwife80

Sadwife80 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am looking for serious tips on how to stop my husband from smoking. He never smokes in front of me ashe knows I do not like it. I was thinking he is a normal smoker like once or twice a day, but recently what I see and hear are heart breaking. I came to know that he is a regular in the smoking zone in his office. I saw him at many places with freinds always he was smoking. recently with the football world cup going on he is meeting freinds everyday and drinking and smoking.
    Whenever I start taking abt his smoking habits, he says its not a big deal these days..

Please help me..its really affecting my peace. I am not a cry baby. so dont know to cry and beg to stop smoking. Please suggest me some mature ways.

His father is a chain smoker too..so there is not point in telling his parents and getting this corrected.

2. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

why he need to hide from you???

Give him company, imagine how good it would be if you keep cigar in one hand, glass in one hand..

ITS NOT A BIG DEAL NOW A DAYS NAA....

1 person likes this.
  3. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

The one who has to quit needs to be determined to do so. Your begging will not help. 1)However the one option you can try is show him a print out of effects of smoking. It causes smokers lung and it can be a strong reason for cancer. My far off relative got lung cancer due to smoking and he had to suffer because of chemotherapy. I saw one page which shows all the chemicals found in a cigarette, try searching for that. Keep all the related articles, highlight it and show it to him. Don't search for long ones...search one that can be read easily,maybe pictures and one that screams lung cancer.

2) If he shows some inclination to reduce, you can get a prescribed drug to help stop smoking. Whenever he gets the urge, he can take that medicine. It has nicotine I think.

hope this helps in a little way.

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Smokers know the effect of their on their body but are in denial. Smoking is after all not illegal. Until he chooses to face it and take action himself, there is not a great deal you can do. I would simply say back off, because any further insistence from you will only make him more adamant. You can always politely have other rules in place. No smoking at home; no smoking when with you; have a shower as soon as he enters if he is stinking of smoke...

At some point he might face the realities of what is in store for him. At that point be brisk and have options in place.

5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Are his friends married, if so, group with their wives and make a joint effort. As long as he is with that group, it will be difficult for him to give up smoking. So if you all make a joint effort, it will work. All the wives and kids should get together to watch the game. This way they can't smoke.

1 person likes this.
  6. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  7. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

My husband has been smoking since he was a teenager. My MIL tried everything , even whacking him but it didn't work. He still smokes till today.

When I first met him, he was a smoker. I wasn't so keen on having serious relationship with a smoker but he said he would try his best to stop the habit. He tried few times with disastrous result. He became moody and easily irritated. He wouldn't talk to anyone and its kind of scary to see him that way. So I gave up and begged him to reduce his cigarettes.

He smokes a pack of dunhill light for two days. If he gets stressed out...its a pack a day.

I tried so many ways....but he always goes back to his smoking habit. My 8 year old tried advising his papa but my DH would tell him Í would quit soon" but he never did. I showed him articles about diseases caused by cigarette, second hand smoker risk....almost everything but he cant or maybe wont quit!)

I hate the smell of nicotine in breath and body...I hate his grey lips (result of years of smoking), I hate how he smokes after each meal, I HATE THE CIGARETTE BOX AND LIGHTER IN HIS POCKET!!!!

Anyone managed to coax their DH to stop smoking. Perhaps you can share your ideas, methods ....anything to help wives like OP and me. tq

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  8. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

Hi frnds,

Introduce kwiknic to your partner. Kiwknic is nictonie based chewing gum and it is for the people who want to quit or trying to stop smoking habit. It is an Indian product, and it available in all stores. It has the same taste of smoking, so you could try kwiknic. This product is made by Indian Tobacco company (ITC) .