Sabarmati Ashram

Discussion in 'Western India' started by rajnipatel, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

I have visited the Sabarmati Ashram a number of times since my childhood. Whenever relatives and friends come down from Maharashtra and Delhi, we make it a point to pay a visit to Sabarmati, with them.

The Sabarmati Ashram is situated on the banks of River Sabarmati. It was founded in the year 1917 and is also known as Gandhi Ashram or the Harijan Ashram. The ashram once served as the residence of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the Father of the Nation.

It was from this location that Mahatma Gandhi spearheaded the legendary Dandi March on March 12, 1930. This March was one of the most significant events in the freedom movement of India.

2. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

The Sabarmati Ashram was initially established at the Kocharab Bungalow on May 25, 1915. The place belonged to Jivanlal Desai. In 1917, the ashram was shifted to its present location, which at that time was a piece of open land on the banks of the River Sabarmati.

Gandhiji wanted to do some experiments in living, which included farming, cow breeding, animal husbandry, khadi and connected constructive activities for which he was in search of a barren land. The land at Sabarmati matched his ideas. It was also believed that this place was the site of an ancient ashram of the sage Dadhichi who had sacrificed his bones for a righteous war.

3. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

The actual ashram of Gandhiji was present in Naimisharanya, near Lucknow. It lies between a jail and a crematorium. Gandhiji believed that a “satyagrahi” would invariably go to either of the two places.

While at Sabarmati, Gandhiji formed a tertiary school that focused on manual labor, literacy and agriculture to promote his efforts of making the nation self-sufficient.

Dandi was located 241 miles away from the Ashram. In the Dandi March, Gandhiji was accompanied by, seventy-eight followers in protest of the British Salt Law. This law had imposed a tax on Indian salt to promote sales of British salt, in India.

4. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

The Sabarmati Ashram currently has a museum named Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalay. The museum building was erected in 1963. The famous architect Charles Correa had designed this building. My grandma, who has been living in Gujarat since her childhood, says memorial activities started here soon after the erection.

Gandhi Samarak Sangrahalay was initially started in “Hriday Kunj”, the cottage of Gandhiji, within the Ashram. Later it shifted to its own well designed and furnished building which was inaugurated by the late Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, on May 10 1963.

The old Ashram Guest House is called Nandini. It is on the right of Hriday Kunj. Guests from India and abroad are put up here.

5. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

Though the entire Sabarmati Ashram attracts me, the part I like the most is the Upasana Mandir. It is an open-air prayer ground. It is located between “Hridaya Kunj” and “Magan Kutir”, the hut where the ashram manager, Maganlal Gandhi, used to stay. In this mandir, Gandhiji used to listen to individual questions after prayers and as the head of the family gave answers after proper analysis.

Another place that I like specially is the Vinoba Kutir. It was named after Acharya Vinoba Bhave who resided in it. It was also known as Mira Kutir, after Miraben. Miraben was the daughter of a British Admiral and had turned into Gandhiji’s disciple.

6. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

nice to hear that ppl haven't forgotten the name sabarmathi. Indians frown at me when i reveal my name thinking if there is a hindu name like that. I am happy to see ppl discuss abt tbat too.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  7. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

The Gandhi Sangrahalaya is a rich treasure containing memoirs, paintings, relics, letters, quotations and many other things.
    The famous “My life is my message” gallery consists of 8 life-size paintings and more than 250 enlarged photographs of some of the vivid and significant events of Gandhiji’s life.
    The “Gandhi in Ahmedabad” gallery tracks the life of Gandhi in Ahmedabad from 1915 to 1930.
    Another gallery that every visitor admires is the life-size painting gallery. The exhibition that displays Gandhiji’s quotations, letters and other relics is a prized possession.

The library consists of nearly 35000 books that deal with Gandhiji’s life, work and teachings.

8. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

The library also has books dealing with the Indian freedom movement and related subjects. It also has a Reading Room with more than 80 periodicals in Hindi, English and Gujarati.

The Sanghrahalaya contains archives consisting of nearly 34,117 letters to and from Gandhiji. The original letters as well as their photocopies are present. The Sangrahalaya also has about 8781 pages of manuscripts of the articles that Gandhiji had written for Harijan, Harijansevak and Harijanbandhu. It also has about 6000 photographs of Gandhi and his associates.

Some personal relics of the Mahatma are on display in Hriday Kunj.

The Ashram bookstore is a non-profit bookstore selling literature and memorabilia related to the Mahatma and his life and work. The bookstore also supports local artisans.

9. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

Dear Shalini and Jaya,

Thank you so much for adding to the thread. I liked your posts!:)

Dear Sabiri,

I think Sabarmati will always be important for every Indian!! :cheers

10. rajnipatel

rajnipatel New IL'ite

We have all heard the song, “de di hume azaadi bina kharg bina dhal, Sabarmati ke Sant tune kar diya kamaal”. It means, “O Saint of Sabarmati, you have given us independence without weapons”. This was the lyricist’s way of paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi, the saint who relied on “ahimsa” to fight the British and win independence.

The Dandi March filled the British jails with 60,000 freedom fighters. The government seized their property. Gandhiji expressed his sympathy for these captives by asking the Government to forfeit the Sabarmati Ashram. The Government refused to oblige.

On July 22, 1933, Gandhiji decided to disband the ashram.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009