1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

S O S!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 20, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What to do Amulet, sometimes I miss Kamalji and his humour so much, I have to provide it myself!

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

For the past one week,this Gopulu's picture is making rounds at every home and kindles our own village home there were around 20 cousins. Half yearly and Annual holidays would be the castor oil session,since quarterly holidays coincided with navarathri. To manage toilet menace children will be divided into three sessions. In those days ,there were dry toilets only in certain houses which two or three children could use simultaneously.
    Even in those days there were cases when children died on administering castor oil out of compulsion and subsequent vomitting and choking.This practise stopped with 1950 or so. They started switching over to a lesser severe laxative herb which resulted in purging only twice. The taste of that kashayam was worse than castor oil.
    Infants from Day 11 were given castor oil one day and oil bath next day alternatively. Young infants smelt of castor oil when you hug them.But today both castor oil and oil bath are prohibited items and from day 1 they are given shampoo bath.
    In those days children knew well that they could not escape.In our house thathas never intervened with palm leaf fans etc. Women managed the same with pieces of jagory alternated with every gulp of castor oil.
    Castor oil was given to pregnant women ,with overdue dates, to induce labor.There are cases where women pooped the baby out and nurses had to be very careful in bringing the baby safe out of toilet.
    There are funny stories of stealing using castor oil.In those days urat dhal and Green dhal used to be dried in the open on roads.people who wanted those dhals free,would send their boys,( there were many boys at home)with kaupeenam alone as dress,with their butts and bodies smeared with castor oil.The children would simply run and pretend to fall on the dried dhals. Nearly 200 gms of dhal would stick to the boy's butts and legs. Very easily they can get two kilos of dhal without paying a pie.
    The dhals when covered with castor oil will be dried in open sunlight and broken with the help of manual grinding stone at home.

Even in those days, there was fake castor oil. Amma would buy oil only from particular lady, and it was supposed to be pure.

Swastik castor oil was very famous for growth of shining black hairs.
    Castor oil is called Vilakku ennai in Tamil that was used for burning lamps
    For some redemption or parihaaram, even today astrologers suggest burning lamp with castor oil for 41 days.
    We can write research paper on castor oil.I stop here.
    An essay that is not intelligible and confusing and the talk of people who don't come to the point soon,used to be compared to castor oil because of the slipping of facts .
    Jayasala 42

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Yes Satchi. Sandwich generation. Controlled by parents and now.... not exactly controlled but by listening to children carefully and try to do what they like if it is not very unreasonable... Cautiously. We think "World is changing and we also have to."
    We never minded our parents' empowerment, never doubted their love. Still we love them and have beautiful memories... Even if they forced us to do things that we do not like.
    At the other end of the scale now there are many parents who decide every aspect of future of child!!!!
    Syamala

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Castor oil and oil bath are two scary things in my childhood. Oil bath has been catagorically declared as good for health by @sokanasanah. But isn't it hard to close eyes while hot water is poured over the oiled body and shigakai being applied through out the body before pouring hot water again?

I had a hatred for black coffee and after thinking a little more, I understand that it is because castor oil was mixed in dicoction before administering it.

One of the weekend days used to be ruined from playing cricket.

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi,

One moment I looked at Gopulu’s illustratrions, I was taken back to my favorite Ananda Vikatan days where we used to wait eagerly for the forthcoming issue of the magazine, just for its ‘Washingtonil Thirumanam’.
    I still have a big burn scar on the upper part of my hand caused due by my grand mother using a red hot iron spatula to punish me. I was just a three year old then. Broomsticks, walking stick, umbrella, wooden ruler, were all accessories used to spank us whenever we provoked the elders or disobeyed them. But still we all love them, because of the abundant affection they showered upon us!

Agatha83

6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish, thanks for sharing the expressive drawings of the artist Gopulu. I will explore more about him.

:grinning: These castor oil sessions would begin on holidays. So children would wake up a little later than usual and by then adults would have finished their routines. I remember queuing in front of the toilet even before the pressure began!

Thank God, during rainy season we were spared. The castor oil brings out a lot of unexpelled stuff and gives a good feeling. It doesn't really lead to any weight loss. Body definitely feels better with castor oil sessions. This is not recommended for people with sinus issues. In case one does not wish to consume it, one can always warm 1 or 2 table spoons of this oil and massage scalp and leave it on for at least 1 or 2 hours and wash hair with warm water. One can feel the difference in the body and hair texture immediately. Other milder ways of using castor oil are applying it lightly over the eyelids before sleeping at night and wash it off the next morning. Opthalmologists do not agree but I have used it all my life without any issues. This oil may also be rubbed on soles or applied to the naval or anus at bedtime. Even this helps to 'cool' the body.:laughing:

Recently I read somewhere that regular usage helps to rid the body of 'kapha' there by reducing many issues including joint pains etc. I haven't tried it yet.

7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

One more use of castor oil!

I am told, in summer some Maharashtrians use a tsp of castor oil while cooking 'heat'(ushna) causing vegetables like brinjal to reduce the 'heat'. Gujaratis rub the Tuvar dal with castor oil and sun dry them before storing it for the following year. (Unlike other communities, they buy main grocery in bulk and store it for an year!)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Afresh, satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:LOL. Nostalgic for sure.
    Super illustration from Ananda Vikadan magazine in Tamil.
    2. MY mom and dad dance with my sister and I during summer in our childhood. That is annual rigour.
    3. Yes castor oil to swallow holding the nostrils tight with thumb and index finger - all in one gulp lest one throw it out.
    4. A spoonful sugar in mouth and a couple of jumps from a long wooden bench and subsequent visit to loo for at least half a dozen times followed by hot water bath and parupu rasam rice paruppu Thuvaram.
    But we hardly visited doctor or hospital.

5. First time I visited hospital was when a relatives daughter delivered a child naturally.
    Castor oil selling in raw form is regulated and PHARMA’s are selling refined medical grade only.
    6. In those days we had branded CO which came handy for many purposes including I making appalam. Keeping pure castor oil at home handy was considered a panacea .
    Thanks and Regards.
    GOD CREATED OIL FOR A PURPOSE. MAN CREATED TURMOIL WITH IT.

Afresh and satchitananda like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:The gadgets creates havoc in cases husbands in upstairs relaxing through glossy magazines , his mobile would get a ring from spouse” come at once. I want to make rice pulav. You got to gather and chop. Carrots beans and onion...I have invited my sister for lunch ...” it is hindrance to peace and freedom!.!.??
    I am writing this since she is far away....
    Ok I hear foot steps .. she is seen coming with a long spatula to upstairs. OMG
    THANKS AND REGARDS..
    OMG

satchitananda and kkrish like this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Now we've seen everything!! There was talk of the abundant affection of the red hot iron spatula.... viz..
    and now there is wishful anticipation of a dominatrix...:hmmm::hmmm:

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.