1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Welcome to the club luvmygirlnbean!
    I hear u about the goals and motivation totally!
    5k by April is so awesome.run,.jog,walk/jog anything goes.

I will try to figure out a cleaner way to track goals and progress
    U are already doing 2 miles.:thumbsup
    Increase by 0.2 miles each week(say a sat or sun) and stick to it for a week...
    in 4 weeks u will be at about 3 miles or 5 k ! :bananas

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You sure are a pusher - I am such comfort zone person also, 10k would be so hard for me, let me repost about that goal. I have another goal I am signing up with my gym instructor till the 5k run, I am afraid I will be exhausted!!

JAG...did I read a goal from you or did I miss it, not that you need one master runner :) but i should tell you, you know how to push! Keep it up!

3. justanothergirl

Fair enough ..I need to post my own shouldnt I ?

SRama May 5k

Luvmylnbean April 15th 5k

JAG-Marathon oct

4. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi JAG,

There is no definite advantage of barefoot running. Barefoot running may actually be harmful to the sole. It is, rather, recommended to have a good pair shoes for running.

But, there is one important point about running and jogging :

When some one is very obese, say ten kg above one's recommended maximum weight, then, fast walking is better than running / jogging.

The reason is, for these obese individuals, the extra weight will put stress on the weight bearing surface of the knee joint. Such knee joint pain once developed takes a very long time to go, thereby , further compromising the individuals exercise capacity.

For example, a person's height is 172 cm. His recommended maximum weight is 71 kg. Imagine, if his weight is 82 kg, then, certainly fast walking is better for him, than running. He is likely to land up in long term pain in his knee joints, due to running. Once this long term knee pain sets in, he is likely to get fed up and quit all forms of exercises, once for all.

Running and jogging are safe to those who are not too obese.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  5. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

You go girl :thumbsup!!

6. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

You are so right! As you look at my signature,I'm trying to lose 25 pounds from my pregnancy weight. So I tried working out with Jillian Michaels 30 minute shred which requires quite a bit of jumping.Though the dvd was quite helpful I noticed I'm hurting my knees to the point that I could not help my kids to wear shoes.Nevertheless I quit.

I would try to continue with the work out to shed my last 10 pounds may be.Meanwhile I am sticking to walking/jogging though I burn few calories.

7. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

The above is exactly what I was conveying through my previous post. Here you are 10 kg above your maximum weight and you say, your jumping gave rise to a knee pain, which was so severe that you quit your all exercises.

This is the biggest disadvantage of jumping / running / jogging for a person who is 10 kg or more above his / her maximum allowed weight.

There is no hard and fast rule that more 10 kg, above their maximum should avoid running. Anyone, who has significant pain in knees should avoid running / jogging. For these people, who are 10 kg above their maximum allowed weight.......and those who have a history of knee pains in the past (due to whatever cause), brisk walking is better than running.

8. FirSrk

FirSrk Senior IL'ite

indianguy

Helpful advice.

9. goal120

goal120 New IL'ite

nice info with useful tips...

10. justanothergirl

Warm Up
    Warm up and cool down stretches are very important and unfortunately one of the most neglected routines .
    Warming up helps reduce your risk of injury and the aches and pains that come with exercise.The idea is to increase circulation throughout the body in a gradual manner. A proper warm up safely prepares the body for the increased demands of exercise. Cold muscles do not absorb shock or impact as well, and are more susceptible to injury.
    Here is a link that clearly lists the standard routine practiced by most runners.

Stretching Exercise

YouTube - Running Warm Up - Jacqueline Hooton Personal Training

Also be careful not to warm up too long because you don't want to use up your energy for warming up instead of getting the actual workout. A good rule of thumb is to elevate your heart rate, sweat lightly, and have an elevated body temperature and not feel fatigued after the warm up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011