1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Being in CA I really have no excuse to run on a treadmill. So I started running outdoors. But when I travel I use the hotel gym and then I figured my back was hurting after just a few miles on treadmill. Somehow my body was not maintaing my posture. It could be just me..so I avoid the treadmill. Tracks mud dirt are the best on ur knee but ur muscles will be sooper sore ..they provide a lot of work out for minimum impact.If u can find a school track near ur home thats the best.
    If u cant find one ..run on black top. Avoid concrete pavements. Highest impact on knee.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey JAG (hope I can call you that like others),

that is neat you have started a thread on this - I am not a passionate runner but do take part in a 5k :) My Dh is doing a full and I am trooping my DS and a couple of other young ones to run with me:thumbsup Love it but don't know if i can do a full marathon, right now happy with 5k.

while i envy you your weather, the joys of running in winters and the prepartaion and then the feeling afterwards is just too good. Look forward to some tips from a pro like you.

3. justanothergirl

Ofcourse...Hope I can call u Rama!
    5 k is a great ! Its no mean feat to run that distace.
    Ofcourse u can do a marathon..When in doubt look at JAG..if I can anyone can :crazy...ofcourse you need to train for it though. How about 10 k goal this year ?
    This gives me :idea How about each of us have a goal. 1k,1 mile,5k,10k ,20 K,HalfM,M...anything...u are comfortable with.
    And we work towards it in this thread motivating each other and sharing tips.
    :bowdown..u have a great resource right at home !

JAGpro is an oxymoron..:) Ofcourse I will share anything and everything that has helped me so far.

Quick question for u..how do u run in freezing temps..Do u have special clothes? How long do u take to warm up...how does it feel when u hit the road ?

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Jag, oh it is unbelieveble how many people are out there training, amazing! It is mostly my hubby who has all that - from underarmour. They not only keep you warm but also absorb all that sweat and keep your undershirt dry so that your body temp won't fall. I am sure there are many other gears out there! He mostly has a T-shirt, jacket, cap and gloves. You of course know you need to feel light, as well as warm - considering the distance. Since I don't run that long, I usually go with the winter gear, meaning dressing in layers, jacket, cap, gloves etc. As for the feeling, starting from "I am freezing to wow that was so worth it....". This year he took pictures of fellow runners and you could see their beards and sweat all iced up .... sounds yuckie, hey but it is a fact! As for warm up, we start slow, come back and stretch and also do a lot of cross training!

Goals is a good idea - I have mine coming up this May, so been busy. 10k is what my Dh is pushing me for, but I seem to be content, though I have a feeling I can do it.

5. justanothergirl

Thanks for the info ..
    Ok first offcial member of the club
    SRama...Goal May 10k
    There you go no turning back !

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey Hey Jag.....5k please!!! Please!!!

7. justanothergirl

Hmm...Ok BUT ..u need to do 10k by end of fall....heheheeh say oct..when most races are held ..do we have a deal ?
    Push urself just a little bit out of comfort zone..
    :)

SRama GOAL 5k May
    10K Oct...

Do we have more...comon comon where is the spirit ?

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Wow! I'm a comfort zone (cz) exercise person, so I get nervous when I see a Jaguarish trainer pushing folks out of the CZ :) Just kidding.

9. justanothergirl

Spidey here is my answer -----

One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals.
    -Michael Korda

Ok do we have a goal Sir ? 5k by June?
    10 K Fall
    :mrgreen:

10. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

Hey Jag,
    Count me in too.I can't function without goals:hide: and I'm looking for motivation. However I cannot run coz of Asthma( for some reason asthma gets triggered while I run). I jog and walk on treadmill ( 2miles in 30 mins). So I believe a goal of 5k by April 15th is not bad :).

So here we go..