1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rumali roti

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

thank you TDU ji with elaborate details about dosa making... i'm definitely goin to try with the ready mixes avaialble in the market...

well i do make good chapatis as that is our staple diet... (we eat rice and we start balooning). putting the chapati on the flame directly is the right way to make it... however here in US i dont have the flame burner... i have that electric coil one... and that to some extent spoils my chapatis... in north indian families it is a matter of disgust of your daughter doesnt make round chapatis... and a bigger matter of Insult is the preparation of dough... while making the dough in the end if little bit of atta is stuck on the big pan... so the MILs say "what did your mother teach you... you cant even prepare the dough properly" :-D well of course this doesnt happen these days

and thanks Blondie for the link i will visit it and make good DOSAIs as called by south indians...

Also Sriniketan... as rightly said by TDU ji that rumali roti is called rumali because it is thin as a rumaal or a kerchief... but be careful... as it is made of maida it takes a lot of chewing...

~Abha

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks TDU Sir, for the recipe. I will try it and let you know how it 'folded' out well.
    Sriniketan

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sriniketan and others,

Everyone has enriched this thread with recipes and pics. I found this link, do have a look at it. It has the video of making jalebis, rumali rotis and naans.
    Our kitchens not only turn out tasty recipes, but also tricky and clever ones, I must say.:-D

L, Kamla

Indian Food in Video

4. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Roti making is a art.... n practice makes it better .Those who make rotis , chapattis ,phulkas n puris at home will agree,as at first few tries how v struggle to make it round n soft.

5. rajyalakshmib

rajyalakshmib New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thank u for calling.
    Rajyalakshmib.