Rules for Fasting in navarathri

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Rith, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,
    i am confused on this fasting rule during navarathri..expecting your feedback and ideas.
    basically i am so weak and my bp goes low when i am not eating properly even for a single phase. Hence, even though I am interested i stopped doing fasting. Mostly I will try to avoid onion and garlic during auspicious days.
    last year i for 10 days i followed the same. but i could see certain people avoid rice on these 10 days..
    1. Should fasting be strictly followed.
    2. Should rice be avoided?
    3. or we shall avoid onion and garlic only
    4. If Rice has to be avoided, then what is the alternative supplement?
    5. What is the actual procedure?

Could anyone please help me with answer for these questions

2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

@Rith ---- There are different ways. Some people avoid rice and wheat. Instead eat Sabudana ( Tapioca pearls) and other things incl. milk and fruits.

Being in south and preparing so many lentils I think it will be difficult to avoid chana and other varities of Chundal. I also love to fast for Navarathri and based on my health conditions decided the following :

This is as per what my MIL Follows:

1. No Onion, No garlic.
    2. I will eat only once a day probably in the night
    3. If I feel hungry during the day it will be Sabudhana kichadi. You can check goggle for recipes. It is very simple to make. Add aloo to make it more filling to tummy.
    4.Drink plenty of water, fresh jucices, tender coconut / coffee to keep going throughout the day.

After delivery, these days if I don't eat on time my body feels weak and starts mild shivering. My MIL used to skip meals on all 9 days but now she is becoming weaker and hence follows this method which I have also adapted.
    P.S. This is the first year of fasting. Earlier I have fasted using this method once a week.