1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rude Behavior

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Sapna56, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all
    Some background of this friend of mine.
    We became friends because we were neighbors in my previous home.
    This friend moved to new city before me. Co-incidentally we also moved to same city later and here also we stay pretty close by.
    When she moved,she didn't even let me know. And so when I moved I too didn't let her know. All of a sudden this lady starts messaging me to forward her resume and refer her. I thought she is in friendly terms now, so I even invited her for my kids birthday party. After inviting her, she gave me fake promises, that she will invite us to her home and her kids birthday party. But that didn't happened.
    Now yesterday co-incidentally we saw each other in a mall. I was happy to see her and greeted her and was hoping she would stop and talk like a normal behavior. But she just replied to whatever I asked, [I asked her how are you] and left the place.
    I felt very hurted and betrayed at same time. I was very upset of this rude behavior. Felt that friends are so wicked. Now that she has job, she no longer needs any help and so this behavior.
    I promised to myself that next time when I see her, I am also going to say hi and just pass by.
    What do you think of such friends.

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

yes, do this

rachaputi and Sweety82 like this.
  3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

You are talking about 1 such person. I have seen/met so many such persons or specifically women we are talking. However there was one common thing in all. They were all not from my place/near my place or language or culture back in India so I guess they did not feel comfortable around me because of language/etc differences and used me for needs like some objects needed or references or job help or packing etc and then ignored meeting eyes or anything later. I would say move on.... I know I get hurt too but learn to ignore people who ignore you is the best way.
    Oh... many times, they will be in same park or play area but they would pretend they did not see or won't look that way and we think it is easy to get off that way as there are other people too. However, we all know, most indians notice other indians and would recognize unless it been decade or really busy.

Sapna56 likes this.
  4. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Reciprocate the same

Sapna56 likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Sapna56 ,
    This happens a lot of time in US I have seen I'm seeing.
    We do get hurt with impolite behavior from people whom we had contacts.
    But many treat people as passing clouds.
    Learn from that aquitance she is not a friend just a known person.
    Very recently I had a similar one, my dh's collegemate's wife who moved few months back would call me often wrt schools as her kid my kid are same age groups. I gave her Diwali sweets, called her home varalaxmi Pooja, 2 playdates, invited them for dinner. They too invited us for lunch once. A week back near school she introduced to her neighbor saying "my husband's collegemate's wife". I treated her as friend, helped her in terms of pick up drop, food, watched her child 2-3 times. That sentence made me realize set strict boundaries.
    Unfortunately we never know who's is good who's friendly who is mean.... Until we spend enough time to get hurt and waste time.
    Take care
    Reciprocate the same. Have to practice hard for soft hearted like us .

hridhaya, Mehana, Sapna56 and 2 others like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

First of all, you have become friends for the wrong reasons. There should be some linking, some chemistry, some common understanding and wavelength to start a friendship.
    Of late, I have realized that many people start with a new friendship for all the wrong reasons such as she lives close to me, she is my colleague, or she is my husband's friends etc.
    And sadly, many people ignore the right friendship for wrong reasons such as gender (if the friend is a man), status, religion, race blah..blah..blah.

What is there to feel hurt here. After all, she is NOT your friend. You have been fooled by the concept of friendship. She is just your neighbor, may be some level of acquaintance. That's all.
    She did what a neighbor (now a days, neighbors are the name sake only) would do.

Again, you are wrong. Blame your concept of friendship.
    Friends are for life. I have plenty of real friends, who are ready to go extra miles, just for me.
    Many of them are not living close by. But living closely in my heart.
    Regardless of the time difference, and their busy schedules (all my friends are professionals), they are ready to give me time almost on a daily basis. They know many things about me, they know the hardships I have crossed, and they know the blessings I have too. And more importantly, we are there for each other whenever it is needed. Just that my friends do not belong to the conventional category. Some are younger to me, some are much older to me, and many are males. Just that, there is a strong chemistry and same wavelength to begin with.

MalStrom likes this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

SGBV...
    You are sweet, and you give detailed advice. But ROFL... why are you so hung up on chemistry ?
    I am thinking of you as a svelte woman like the one in a bollywood movie "Mein Hoon Nah"

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't understand Hindi, so I cant comment on it. But if you think chemistry is all about physical matter, then you will never understand my this post and any other posts on this line.

chemistry is not a bad word. It means the linking, the attraction, the love, the urge to feel connected and think of each other. It can be great if it happens between 2 people (be it male or female) as friends.
    It is very different from the chemistry we talk on a couple relationship....

9. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

Many people usually don't reciprocate friendly overtures; it might actually be because they are too shy or introverted. But in this case since your friend gave fake promises that she will invite you home and didn't follow through, she might not be someone worth spending any emotional energy or effort on.

Sapna56 likes this.
  10. kavikuyil

kavikuyil Bronze IL'ite

Big difference between friend and an acquaintance. It would be wise to know the difference.

My friendship is precious. To give that to someone, I need to like, respect that person first. And friendship develops over the time - it doesn’t come when I meet someone or like SGBV said, just because they are your neighbor or once upon a time classmates or known to someone you know or even from same place.

Some people are just users and self centred. They cannot think beyond themselves. I’d never ever think of them as friends. If they ask for my help and it is a need (not a want) and if I think I can help without any expectation, I do it. If not, I just say ‘sorry, I cant’ and move on.

Vedhavalli and noire like this.