Round The Table - Discuss

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Uttaraa, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Wow!I seem to have missed on my favorite and most interesting pot all these days:-(
    I stumbled upon this post while browsing through various forums. Count me in.
    Looking forward to contributing and learning

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

At a recent party, a group of us old friends were discussing meritocracy. Specific to higher education and government. What do you think about meritocracy in America? Is it working? Is it good for America?

Links to "good" online articles on it would be nice. Good as in themselves not requiring too much further research and googling.

We could also talk about meritocracy in India.

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Here's one I remember from a couple of years ago.
    And here's a blurb on Chris Hayes' book which made this a 'hot' (but soon forgotten!) topic then.

2 people like this.
  4. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Merry-making in the celebrations of Christmas, Yule, Kwanzaa, are we forgetting something?

The awaited Christmas Lectures of Royal Institution of Great Britain. Yes, it is that time of the year when we tune our receptors to the frequency of science, technology and design broadcast from one of the prestigious scientific community in the world.

History of the project dates back to 1825 when Michael Faraday pioneered science talk to educate hoi-polloi on the trends, developments in the scientific world. I watched the 2013 Lectures by Alison Woollard featuring 'Life' in series called 'Life Fantastic'.

Here is the link to the 3-part series. At the end of the session, you would no longer say - as happy as a clam but compound it with 'as happy and old as a clam'. I watched some of the archives and must admit that the best gift this season to any juvenile nerd is the gift of knowledge and these videos are aimed for youngsters who aspire to understand science in daily life in the most entertaining and digestible manner.

Happy viewing to the delights of science!

1 person likes this.
  5. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

If you thought the only confusion in Milan's Galleria was whether to have nocciola, stracciatella or fragola, you will be surprised that this thread rattled several times in my brain on how to structure, organize or proceed with the discussions here. There is clamor from cornucopia of articles pumped here that need to be stratified to form logical discussions.

I've a dimly lit plan on subject of the week and talking about it. We decide on a topic which segues into the next topic in an organic manner but lets formulate it in a more coherent style.

Any inputs?

1 person likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Uttara
    you are right. Every round table has an agenda.

Identifying the problem is the first step. You've done it.

A topic a week is a good place to start.
    You may have to lead the discussions and decide when to move to the next.
    Perhaps you can ask for topics folks wish to discuss ahead and create a planner. That will also help folks like me to read ahead and share what we learn.

2 people like this.
  7. sokanasanah

Maybe one week is too short for any real discussion?
    Cool, new stuff needs percolation time ... no?

1 person likes this.
  8. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Soka, you are right! One week is too short (transpired with the depth of discussions here). Lets keep the window flexible and not seal in a week's time. For the laudable service you provide here, atleast one window should be wide enough if not editable enough ;) I suspected you to be involved with third installment of Cicada 3301 frenzy to explain your mysterious disappearance and timing of absence. Good to see you!

Krish - I've not subscribed to this thread hence missed your input. Expected members to trickle down by next week, recovering from the social jet lag over the holiday season. Lets roll then ...

I've been watching archives of Royal Christmas lectures on human body. Lets start with biology - our beloved mathematician's favorite subject. Bring on topics related to human conception, embryonic development, body function, metabolism, neural network, ageing or pushing up daisies.

Primer on human brain links -

Meet our brain
    Introduction - how human brain works

Amazing to read articles on the net on how our brain functions. As I am typing this post, the pattern traversed in the neural network to trigger words, thoughts and coordination to transcribe. How did we evolve from a single-celled organism to be a host with cells as complex as neuron? Incredible!

5 people like this.
  9. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Well, well, well ..we don't have to engage strictly in discussion pertaining to the theme announced. Please post catchy articles, trending news and feel free to discuss but make sure that we strive to focus on topic of the fortnight/month/not over till Soks sings.

In my earlier post I provided link to Cicada 3301, go through it and you will be stunned to discover a world of steganography and mind-blowing cyber cipher cult ;)

2 people like this.
  10. sokanasanah

Ah yes, 'modest' ambitions I see!
    Why not start things rolling with the Most Complex Object In The Universe ?
    It's all downhill from here! :rotfl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.