Round The Table - Discuss

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Uttaraa, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Coming to the topic of dark matter here is a news clip that came out 15 hours ago.

Elusive dark matter may already have been found - NBC News.com

dark-matter-galaxy.jpg
    NASA / ESA / M.J. Jee and H. Ford (Johns Hopkins University)
    This Hubble Space Telescope composite image shows a ghostly "ring" of dark matter in the galaxy cluster Cl 0024+17.
    Picture courtesy. NASA

7 people like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Uttaraa, sorry to post here. But can you clear your mailbox?

3. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Never realized since I started the thread, my inbox which hardly rumbles is getting filled in hours these days ;) Done...all cleared..shoot away!

1 person likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To add to these excellent recommendations by JAG, parents of little ones between 5-8 check out, Cargo Bot and Turtle Academy. Both introduce programming using simple and intuitive games. Cargo Bot is an iPad based game which helps kids learn the concepts of functions, loops etc. using a fun game. I've been trying to get my 5 year old hooked on it, but it's a tough sell when compared to the instant gratification offered by 'Angry Birds' and co. On a related note, have any of you tried to introduce meditation (or any other concentration building methods) to your kids? I can imagine the long term benefits that would bring, but how on earth do you get them to do it?

4 people like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Actually you don't! The less you know the more fun the game. Some of the links are pretty incredible. Just plug in any random name and see what pops up. For instance, would anyone have thought that Madhubala (a Bollywood actress from the 1950s) has a Bacon number of 3? I wouldn't have believed they had any connection to each other at all!

As a matter of fact, in complexity theory this is known as the small-world phenomenon, and was first described by Stanley Milgram in his experiment on social networks. His experiment is a pretty fascinating read.

Milgram is also (in?)famous for his experiments on obedience of authority. It's quite scary how easily moral and compassionate human beings can be swayed into committing horrific acts through the power of authority. The Nazis are perhaps the best example of this phenomenon.

2 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Gauri for the links. I could certainly use them for my 7 year old. The Milgram experiment that you have shared is awesome. I remember visiting those concentration camps and wondering about how exactly the thing you have mentioned. Now this seems to explain it better. My DH will appreciate it more. One time when someone asked him about a personality from history he would like to meet, without blinking he mentioned Hitler, just so that he can understand how that mind worked!

Now, meditation I am sure someone who knows better like V sir can answer you in detail but I do practise some meditation and my kids have known the concept at least for as long as they can think back and remember.

A couple of ways I try to keep it ongoing - My DD sits with me when I light the lamp in the evenings for say a couple of minutes quietly as I sit. DS, I have tried a couple of methods and mostly it works when he does his Gayathri Japa which takes a real back seat in winters. So it is mostly work in progress is all I can tell you. I am limiting their quiet time to a maximum of 5 mins and sometimes I do have a couple friends' kids (10 yr olds) who tell me they wish they could sit longer. I ask them only to observe their breath. What I find amazing though is how well a few 12/13 year olds react to both yoga and meditation I teach and use the techniques in school reminding themselves of the class they have taken. Even the little talk I give about asanas while practising yoga seem to be helping them in other situations! So you see, I am mostly talking of older kids than yours!

3 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Gauri
    I finally got the hang of it and did a few names.
    Yes, funny and unbelievable. Thanks for the link.

Also read about the Obedience of Society. Learnt something new today. Thanks.

JAG
    Sorry I didn't quite follow the first time. Dense in the head I certainly am :)

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear JAG,

If you, Uttaraa and Sabitha enter the same search word in Google simultaneously, I am pretty sure all of you will not get the same first page because, Google customize the first page based on previous searches made by each one of you. They use the semantic search engine to find exactly what each one of you are looking for as opposed to literal search engine which restricts the search engine capability to only literal meaning of the word entered in the search box.

Literal Search

Search techniques that search for the exact same word as what is written on the search field and displays the results, whether the files, web pages, products, or other information even if sometimes it is not relevant or does not answer for what we are looking for. Literal search is what we are most familiar with today, partly because it’s the easiest for the computer to perform.

Semantic Search

Slightly different from the literal search, semantic search try to understand what users are asking by placing it in context through the analysis of query terms and language. In addition, the results displayed will not be a file, web page, or the like, but semantic search tries to respond directly to questions. If you are looking at a search engine that has been using the method of semantic search “What is the capital of Indonesia?” The answer would appear that “The capital of Indonesia is Jakarta“, in which search engine that still uses literal method will only display the webpage which contains the word “capital” and “Indonesia”

Viswa

3 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Uttaraa,

Speaking of online schools, I came across Online High School | Online Middle School | Grades K-12 | Florida Virtual School in the year 2002 when my son entered high school in an International Baccalaureate program. Some of the classes in his school he did not like and he decided to go to FLVS program. He really did very well in those online classes. it gave him flexibility to learn on his own pace but gave support of a teacher as and when he needed. Unfortunately, it is available as free for Florida residence only. But the curriculum of this school is just phenomenal and this is the best school for parents who like to teach their children on their own.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Ah, what an interesting thread. I came to class wondering if there would be anyone who could unravel the mysteries of trigonometry, calculus and statistics for me. Algebra and Geometry were fine. But the rebel in me refused to accept "Let us assume the value of epsilon to be ..........". Why should I assume? Why not tell me how exactly you jumped to some bizarre value of 4.3.....k/pi? Huge mental block. Resulting in all the nightmares I continue to have to this day about going for a maths or physics exam (not to mention chemistry and geography!) exam without ever having even bought the text book! So much so that I fear having to come wandering back into this part of this universe in some other garb just in order to understand these subjects. Better I clear them in my head before I go off to some other dimension.

Could never understand parabolas, hyperbolas, differentiation, integration ........ Waaaaah!

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.