Round The Table - Discuss

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Uttaraa, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

To tell you the truth - like Chris Carter, who did not anticipate that X-files will be commissioned for a season, which incidentally ran for 10 years, I expected the thread to taper in page 2 and vanish into oblivion in page 3. Page 8 is a resounding proof that we are as curious as we have been as kids to question, inspect, learn from surroundings and absorb knowledge. In the phaseal gears that we switch to in life, the curiosity takes a backseat and eventually valet-parked indefinitely by the chaos, commitments, contingents in our life. This thread is for me to restore that free-wheeling of my vehicular mind to imbue wherever it travels.

The first time I spoke to Saby, she mentioned - 'You know Utts, I realize it is not a need or desire for me to learn but the very essence of me to assimilate into things around trying to understand that defines me' (paraphrased, undoubtedly she worded better). My interactions with her here and elsewhere push me to reach that stage where she is ensconced in today.

Perhaps this thread should explain my absence everywhere else, I hope the mousy rugrats are not upto any mischief trying to commandeer Virgin Galatica for a test drive, ho-ho join the Dhanno wagon. Wear a helmet in case she traps you as co-pilot!

2 people like this.
  2. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

But as usual your presence stands out and your entry is momentous.

Thank you for gracing this thread and coming on board though I might argue that you have to be on the board to scrutinize the veracity, validity and vitality of the content here ;)!

3. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

My Tamil association is whoops of Prabhu Deva when he wriggles or my play mate in Class 5 who used to holler - 'Ivada, Evada'. Pardon my suppressed inquisitiveness when JGVR posted about PS and should have checked on the plot or characterization but the way she described , it sounded no less than Illiad of Tamil literature and waited for someone else to comment and who else but KKrish to impale the gauntlet and endorse it ;)

2 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you JAG for this! This might as well be the next obsession I can introduce DS to :)

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

SN, what a fascinating read it made!
    I am only hoping that I will introduce at least to DS What an amazing personality he seemed to have been! Very Fascinating. (BTW the only reason I speak mostly about him, is well he is a little older than DD and at an age where he is interested, can comprehend and take things further on his own. DD is still a baby....in my eyes:)) Reading about Paul Erdos ability to do the math in seconds a person had lived, I am reminded of DS doing a similar math at a similar age and telling his grandfather "well grandpa, you have lost this many seconds of your life already because of your smoking :hide: I was and am still thankful that he spoke like that at that age! And just yesterday I had a breakthrough of sorts when my most difficult and I hate math teenager was all smiles and actually loved what she did and had an improvement in her grade and promised her a DQ gift card if she just kept up her grades and not actually solve an unresolved problem. Honestly, all I have been trying to tell her, you just have to love to learn, doesn't matter what subject. You are too young to form such hard beliefs about yourself and what you come across. With talks ranging from God knows what to what, finally I seemed to have a small break through! These are the moments that makes it all worthy!

Seriously Uttaraa, thank you for this thread. I am constantly at my wits end wondering in I am doing everything possible to keep the interest of learning in kids. Now at least I know where to turn to, thanks to you and others!

7. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Yo, sweets!

So is mine! In fact my gaze does not steer left or right, other side of coin or observe side of coin when I'm here!

Just wanted to ask - why ? why? why? (putting on thinking cap) Is she trying to Participant-Observation? What a great loss to us!!! If only instead of osmosis you tried diffusion. You know we are pretty greedy like the gremlins groaning - 'Gimme more, gimme more' !!

Near future or the next life or in the next 9 lives, or that Andromeda Poodle Cheeniya is designing for all of us.

Love to read your posts anywhere ...anytime! Look forward to your pickings here ;)

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Utts,

ah! Anu Garg. I was such a long time subscriber to her "word a day" after reading about the couple in a Smithsonian magazine!

Now now girl, should you make a girl tear up at 5 in the am with these words and you bring such sophistication and understanding to what I might have just babbled. If i have made this much sense to you, it is you Uttaraa and your comprehension of what I have spoken. Now I will remember these words to carry me through when I slip.
    You do know my two munchkins are the reason for any learning - doesn't benefit them, doesn't make sense to me :-(

Thank you! You are doing such an amazing job. All I am doing is trying to catch up with all the information that is being shared.

I knew I shouldn't have logged on to this thread first thing after waking (yes, crazy to do that) I should have been in the gym trying to work out and update JAG in the running club. But as I peered through the supposedly clear early morning skies, I shivered noticing a 2F outside temperature on my phone, waddled down, turned the comp on and here I am. Running and sprinting can wait for a day right? I am only glad I came to the thread for and did not go back into that warm bed and am reading at least. Lovely way to start my morning!

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks JAG. Mmmm...let me see...I watch movies but not very good at remembering much of them later. I also suffer from a lack of curiosity about film world.
    You? Literature challenged? Now, I'll believe the cow jumped over the moon!! :)

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HI Uttara
    You hit the nail on the head.
    Ponniyin Selvan is indeed a marvelous piece of literature.

The impact that novel left on me was so tremendous I could not read any other book for more than a year.

Even now, I find other authors writings very pale and lack that finesse and class I find in Sri Kalki Krishnamurthy's works.

Sri Kalki was such a great visionary and so advanced in this thinking on social reformation. His articles and other stories all occupy my bookshelf and I read them all over and over again without getting tired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.