1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Roti maker- dough preparation-

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sekarcdr, May 29, 2015.

1. sekarcdr

sekarcdr New IL'ite

( I don't know if this is the right place to post mt question. I request the moderators to please move to the appropriate place. Thanks in advance)
    My dear sisters and children

I bought a roti maker ( National brand ) bundled with a dough maker(Bellfly brand) early this month. I never practiced cooking before but now I am forced due to my health constraint. I thought it would be very helpful for me as they advertised that the dough maker comes with measuring cups. I tried with it for the first time as prescribed in the manual.
    THE FIRST CHAPPATHI i MADE TURNED OUT TO BE A THICK PAPAD.
    I consulted my sisters and cousins, but none of them could help me as they all were using the conventional method to make chappathis.
    So I browsed the net and read somewhere that the dough should be a little more watery and looser than the conventional dough.
    The measuring cups in the dough maker and the prescription yielded a bit hard dough.
    So I decided to add some more water than the prescribed amount the next time. It was very sticky and I found very difficult to make the dough ball and remove it from my hand. I was hoping to get a real chappathi instead of a papad
    THIS TIME, IT TURNED OUT TO BE VERY ELASTIC AND HARD TO TEAR.
    Now I am helpless as how to make a eatable chappathi. By accident, I came across this site and thought this will surely solve my agony.
    i KINDLY REQUEST SOMEONE TO SUGGEST ME A CORRECT MEASUREMENT TO MAKE A EATABLE CHAPPATHI WITH ROTI MAKER.
    I use Aashirwad brand atta.
    I will be very thankful if anybody can give me this tip.
    tHANK YOU ALL .

2. Jaishece

Jaishece New IL'ite

Hi sekarcdr, I do have a national roti maker.. To make the dough, i always 1/2 the water measurement.. like 1 cup dough, then in the same cup take 1/2 cup of water and mix it. I also do these : 1) add 1 - 2 spoons of oil while kneading the dough (usually I use olive). 2) Keep the mixed dough for some hours approx 2 - 3 hrs.. ( If i have to make chappatis in the night, I knead it in morning ). 3) And also I use oil on top of roti on the roti maker.. just dip the spoon in oil and just give it a brush.. not much.. 4) Also, turn the roti as many times as you want :) Dont go for the demo video type preparation..

Good luck with soft chapatis :)
    - Jai.