1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Romance Novels In English And Their Summary

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Vallishenba, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Vallishenba

Vallishenba New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this forum but what brought me here is books. Here one of the members had already started the thread - Summary of RC/JS/CB/UB/KJ novels, which was helpful me to choose a book, in same way I like to start one for English.

Name of the novel
    Author
    Background time - Historical, contemporary, Victorian era, fantasy, etc,

Summary

Why you like/dislike this novel

Thanks and regards,

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    PriyaSrini and ritz1 like this.

2. Vallishenba

Vallishenba New IL'ite

Novel - Whitney, my love
    Author - Judith Mcnaught

Story happens around Victorian era around 1800 in England and France.

Summary - female lead is Whitney and male lead is Clayton. if you are fan of Judith Mcnaugt, you must know this is the first book in westmoreland series but later got pre-sequel and sequel.

Whitney, tomboy girl send to france with her uncle and aunt by her father who thinks she is bringing bad reputation to family. In france she becomes successful and all eligible bach. want to marry her. But she likes to marry her childhood sweet heart paul in England. In same time her father asks her to comeback and she happily goes, what she doesn’t know and doesn’t find out for awhile, is that her father has betrothed her to another man.

Clayton is a duke in England but also has business all over europe or more than that. He meets Whitney in France and his attraction for whitney starts there. Whitney and clayton will have first long conversation in masquerade ball – wearing a mask (france) – where he flirts outrageously with her and decides he must have her. so he goes about finding out everything about her and learns of her father is in debt. Clayton approaches her father and make a betrothal contract (pays off the debt) but he wants to keep this a secret from his independent, free spirited fiancé so that he can woo her, to make her come to care for him on her own without having to force her into the marriage. this is the reason her father calls her back to england.

So whitney never seen clayton face goes back to her father but where she meets Clayton (doesn't recognize) who just happens to live but a few miles away from her. He is a handsome but annoying man who is pursuing her with the same fervor in which she is pursuing Paul. In the beginning she is extremely irritated by him but eventually comes to see him as a friend, but later she comes to know about the contract and she thinks she was sold to Clayton.

Later story is all about
    • how Clayton wins whitney.
    • how whitney clears all the misunderstanding between them and wins back clayton

What I like about this novel

One of the novels which made me to search for mcnaught books. all her female leads are strong willed women with flaws - same goes to whitney, I like her transformation from tomboy into an attractive women, knows many languages and knowledgeable in many subjects esp in politics. independent, free spirited, outspoken, daring etc.

Clayton - Who doesnt love intelligent, handsome, rich and successful man. but apart from this WHAT i really liked was his love for whitney – he really did try hard to earn her affection. He watched her throw herself at Paul, behave outlandishly, defy his wishes and still tried to make her care for him. He put up with a lot from her because he was very understanding that her entire life turned upside down because of him - all the hopes and dreams she had had as a young girl were erased by his and her father’s signatures on a contract. He really was being very patient and understanding.

other things I like about the novel are the conversations between the leads, esp where they will play chess and have a long coversation. the hero's brother and mother characters, nikci - heroine's friend are very good. when heroine realize her love for the hero - how one slowly falls in love with another. accepting each other with their flaws. etc . though the story has few cliches it still made an impression.

:thumbup: for this novel

if you want to read online check the following link
    Read Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland Saga #2) online free by Judith McNaught

AnooSA and ritz1 like this.
  3. Vallishenba

Vallishenba New IL'ite

Novel - The Bride
    Author - Julie Garwood

Historical novel happens in Scotland and England around 1100 - first book in Lairds' Fiancées series

Summary - read this or you can google it read about the summary

By the king's edict, Alec Kincaid(our hero) mightiest of the Scottish lairds, must take an English bride. And Jamie (our heroine) the youngest daughter of Baron Jamison. From his first glimpse of the proud and beautiful English lady, Alec felt a burning hunger stir within him. This was a woman worthy of his fearless warrior's spirit. And he aches to touch her, tame her, possess her...forever.
    But with the wedding vows, Jamie pledges her own secret oath: She will never surrender her love to this Highland barbarian. He was everything her heart warned her against -- an arrogant, rough good looking. But when strange accidents begin to threaten Jamie's life and an old rumor that Alec killed his first wife spreads anew, something far more dangerous than desire threatens to conquer her senses.

The first thing about this author - i like all her historical novels more than her contemporary novels. all her leads will get married soon and though the leads will always have one argument or other, they wont have serious misunderstandings. both the leads will be loyal and support each other as husband and wife through both good and bad. this author tells that love stories need not be full of jealousy and misunderstandings.

In this novel:
    • Heroine will always have this thought throughout the story to whom she should be loyal - to her husband or to her mother country (ie., england, cos she is married to Scot). if this kind of situation, happen to one of us it will be big head and heart ache but in this novel those situations will make you laugh
    • this novel has a suspense part - hero's first wife was killed by someone and the same person will try to kill the female lead throughout the whole story - so who is that person or group ? this part will be reveled only near the ending
    • both the leads are very different from each other - culture, country, language etc, - best part is how both are adjusting to this - there is always stigma to one's culture likewise in this novel heroine teases her sister that Scots has special preferences and that goes in the following order Strong horses, fat sheep and soft women though it look like teasing it is the truth of hard life in those days first comes safety/defense, then food&shelter and last comes love - you can get an idea about Scot culture and climate
    • how heroine wins hero's subjects and how those people become loyal and respect her
    • the way leads winning their arguments - sometimes hero wins the argument sometimes heroine
    • the hero has trustworthy and loyal commanders and friends - sometime in some novels you will feel apart from leads nobody is good. but in this author's novels you can see most of them are good and help each other.
    • heroine will help people in different situation but all will lead to the war between lairds - I laughed during those situation when author says in her first week of her marriage she started three wars. but later she will be reason to start war between england and scotland and that time whole scotland will stand for her, Where the Scot king will say "what i could not do but the lady from England did it - uniting scot lairds or scotland"
    • at last good deeds will bring good or good people will always live happily and die happily.
    what i have written seems not to be romantic but it is a very romantic story -give a shot if you are for historical, romantic, humors story

ritz1 likes this.
  4. Vallishenba

Vallishenba New IL'ite

Novel - Romancing Mr Bridgerton
    Author - Julia Quinn

story happens during Victorian era around 1800 in England.

Summary - Penelope (our heroine) has secretly adored her best friend's brother for long time. After half a lifetime of watching Colin Bridgerton from afar, she thinks she knows everything about him, until she stumbles across his deepest fears.

Colin Bridgerton is tired of being thought nothing but an empty-headed charmer, tired of everyone's preoccupation with the notorious gossip columnist Lady Whistledown.

But when Colin returns to London from a trip aboard after years, he discovers nothing in his life is quite the same, especially Penelope, the girl haunting his dreams and when he discovers that Penelope has secrets of her own, this elusive bachelor must decide... is she his biggest threat, or his promise of a happy ending?

this story is not typical romance novel - where hero is already rich, responsible and powerful. here the hero is third brother in the family and who has two elder brothers, four younger sisters and one younger brother each has their own story- Bridgerton series.

• hero is insecure about his place in family and society. he is not sure what to do with life.
    • how heroine survive Victorian society as wall flower
    • heroine supports hero to find his place in both family and society. encourages him to find his dream.
    • best character in this novel is lady Danbury - I would love to meet her in the real life and wanted to have such a grand mother (mine nearly similar to her but no more) you can see this character in Bridgerton series #7 "it's in his kiss".
    • this is the best part of the story - before each chapter there will be an article published by Lady Whistledown, who comments about society events, people, party, fashion or basically gossip but the whole society will be reading this paper but twist is, this lady W is anonymous author, there will be speculation who this author is and in this story itself, there will be a challenge announced that whoever finds this person will be rewarded. when i was reading this part, i was suspecting everyone.
    • you will miss this big family, if you have seven siblings and they care for you. you can face and take care of everything. I wish everyone should enjoy that feeling

this story is basically two best friends realize that there are in love. and in front of the family and with support of the family they leads will realize their love and face the world. this story has lot of humor ,romance, life realities and emotions. you will not only fall in love with leads but also with other characters in the novel.

5. ritz1

ritz1 Bronze IL'ite

Nice thread,
    I used to read victorian era novels in college but lost touch.

6. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

kudos @Vallishenba
    I like the way you wrote the abstract and what you like about them

7. Vallishenba

Vallishenba New IL'ite

8. Vallishenba

Vallishenba New IL'ite

Thank you. If you want to read any of these books let me know, will share the link.