Roasted Nuts During Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by dollysonpari, Apr 15, 2016.

1. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Is roasted salted nuts good during pregnancy? Or Is it better to eat raw nuts eg: raw almonds or roasted almonds?

Will sated or unslated roasted will make baby's skin tone dark during pregnancy?

Is it best to eat roasted nuts or raw nuts?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good news! Your baby's skin tone has already been decided. Nothing you do after conception can change that. Saffron, milk, banana et. al., will not make your baby fair. Tea, nuts and olive oil won't make him/her dark. Your mood however will have a strong impact on your baby's temperament. As long as your diet is healthy overall, eat whatever makes you happy and satisfies your cravings. If you're craving salted nuts then enjoy eating them.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Really? A quick darshan of Google-taata didn't turn up any substantial evidence.

4. Gauri03

Really?

Stress and Mood Disorders During Pregnancy: Implications for Child Development

From the abstract: "The data indicate that we can detect fetal markers associated with alterations in women's mood that also are linked to differences in the neurobiological substrate of the fetus' emerging emotion regulation system. Identifying such fetal character-istics someday may contribute to the early detection and prevention of predispositions to childhood risk for emotional problems and even psychopatholgy."

Maternal Stress During Pregnancy Predicts Cognitive Ability and Fearfulness in Infancy

Changes of spine density and dendritic complexity in the prefrontal cortex in offspring of mothers exposed to stress during pregnancy

Stress During Pregnancy Affects General Intellectual and Language Functioning in Human Toddlers

Stress during pregnancy is associated with developmental outcome in infancy

A few. A search for "stress during pregnancy" should bring up many more on Google scholar. Most are paywalled. Can view if you have a university VPN.

Evidence exists. Enough to make us pay attention. Whether it is definitive is the subject of ongoing research.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Rihana likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OK. I had googled 'mood during pregnancy' and not stress.

"Your mood however will have a strong impact on your baby's temperament." is different from "Your stress levels will have a strong impact on baby's temperament.

Avoiding stress, or minimizing stress sources, during pregnancy, is certainly a no-brainer.

That being said, to my untrained eye, the evidence looks like the evidence on the benefits of breastfeeding. Meaning, breastfeeding is good, avoiding stress is good, but the absence of either not necessarily harmful.

6. Gauri03

How did I know you would say that? : ) I just did. That statement, as I meant it, is accurate.

I would assume it is easy to decipher the intent of my words. Sorry you weren't happy with my phrasing. But if you want to argue semantics, the very first paper does use the word 'mood'. Mood and stress are not disconnected. Biochemically they are concomitant states. Negative moods trigger a stress response. I could blather on about the neurochemistry of mood and stress but then you'd accuse me of writing an 'exposition'. Biologically, unhappy moods/stress trigger the same cortisol associated hormonal cascade, which we can deduce with some confidence lead to the stated outcomes. In the end the trigger is the cortisol response, which is why most research deals with stress and not the emotional states that lead to it.

OP, sorry for the diversion. Enjoy your salted nuts!

Rihana likes this.
  7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please prefer unsalted roasted nuts compared to roasted salted nuts.
    Anything in moderation is always OK.

8. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

@ Vasumathy:

Thanks for your reply. You understood my exact doubt ..

Frnds,

Thanks all for the reply.. Actually i was not concerned about baby's skin tone exactly. I know that its not decided by us. But my Doubt regarding skin tone was will roasted nuts will have any side effects on baby .. ex. skin allergy , or extra dark shade due to excess salt or the nature of roasted nuts.. etc..

I have come across a post long back here in IL that a lady posted that her or frnd's (dont remember) baby's skin was half dark or black and half white.. it was stated that it was due to too much iron consumption during pregnancy..

I was worried about such side effects.. Is roasted nuts good or bad? coz im eating salted roasted nuts

9. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Dear Dolly,

Any nuts that suits you. According to Ayurveda almonds soaked overnight and then peeled is the best way for the body to digest and absorb the nutrients from the almonds. I leave it up to the individual. If eating the almonds with the peel suits you go ahead. The only issue with roasted almonds is that it's salty crunchy and tasty so don't go overboard with the amount you eat at one helping. That may cause indigestion.

Consuming roasted almonds do not affect the baby's skin color in any way.

Take care… God Bless…