riots in kampala

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by usha mahesh, May 1, 2011.

1. usha mahesh

usha mahesh New IL'ite

dear pragati,

hi i was supposed to join my husband at kampala in this week but suddenly this riots have come up at kampala.

iam totaly worried. what should i do?

Rgds

Usha

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi usha,
    well these past 2-3 days have been calm...........if u are arrivaing on weekend it will be peace but week days can be a problem.......still if something happens i am sure u will not be allowed to leave airport till everything is cleared.airports are normaly safe & highly policed.....normally by mid day things cool down.......u can chk www.dailymonitor .com for latest news........
    pragati

3. clarity

clarity New IL'ite

Hey Ladies!
    hows Uganda treatin you'll? Pragati seems pretty cool about the riots that took place during the elections. is it normal or you just trying not to scare the people of?
    Would you ladies pls tel me if its safe for a single woman; from what ever i read that Pragati has written, and she has written a lot, its all very positive:)
    Hows the political scenario now? im expected to join in June but i havent made up my mind since everyone here is advising against it on safety concerns. Besides im also not too sure what a good package to live life there as well as to be able to save some money and send back home to my mother.
    Do let me know if i should consider the offer being a single woman and at what kind of monies. I am a sr. manager profile now workin in Mumbai.
    Best wishes.

4. Mahajanpragati

hi clarity,
    no riots for past week ,situation okay....kids went to school all thrrough the so called riots as did husband to work .......we had customary weekend outing & dinner so i can say situation is okay....still depends on which area you are living.
    well,its difficult to say how much one needs to spend & save.
    after all saving is personal habit & any frugile person will be able to save whatever the salary....still monthly u need 1000$-1500$ for good living. it includes rent ,expenses...(but depends upon the accomodation u choose)mostly companies provide vehicle........taxes are as high as 30 % plus 5% NSSF(sort of EPF)........u being senior manager will come under this bracket.........
    safety is no problem for single woman though you may get bored during weekends or holidays......but if male bachelors can manage so can a woman......again travelling to tourist destination alone can be a problem but lots of international students travel to uganda for gap year so it can be managed......
    pragati

5. pkk2

pkk2 New IL'ite

flat in kampala

Hi pragati/anyone ,

U seems to have some experience in Kampala. where can i get a good flat for around 400 USD-700USD. I hv planned to bring family here with 3 yrs and 7 months. i prefer DPS for my kid and my office is near there. iam looking for indians family staying in same apartment with good security. provide me details if u have. thanks

Regards,
    pkk2

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. Mahajanpragati

Re: flat in kampala

hi,
    try Buglobi flats ( behind nakumatt),brown /white flats in Bukoto ,makerer flats.............all have mixed nationality people with quite huge no of indians...............in this range security is not that efficient.for highly secured compounds you need budget of 1500 $ above
    near DPS there are quite few apartments but not sure about availability.keep on trying & let your collagues know your need.....they may help you.indian stores like checkers,millenium,jazz etc also put the list of available apartments on their display borad.check their also.
    all the best
    pragati