1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Rin or tide

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by shobatharun, Mar 18, 2010.

1. shobatharun

shobatharun Senior IL'ite

There was a new twist to the soap opera on Wednesday with Procter & Gamble India (P&G) moving the Calcutta High Court against Hindustan Unilver's Rin TV commercial, which the company said was "disparaging" against its mid-tier detergent brand, Tide Naturals.

The Rin commercial, launched on Friday, February 26, openly compares Rin and Tide Naturals, with a claim of delivering better whiteness at an affordable price. On Monday, in a related issue, the Madras High Court had issued an order to P&G to modify its advertising for its product Tide Naturals to clarify to consumers that Tide Naturals does not contain 'lemon' and 'chandan'.

"The ex parte order passed by the Madras court against the Tide Naturals TV copy was vacated on Monday. The court had asked us to make minor modifications to the Tide naturals TV copy within 72 hrs for which modification has been done," said a P&G spokesperson. The order was passed in response to a suit filed by HUL on February 25, this year.

Said an HUL spokesperson: "You will be aware of the recent launch and advertising of one of our competitors which has sought to give the impression that their's is a natural detergent when in fact, by their own admission in court, it is a synthetic detergent. This has misled consumers at large."

Responding to the order that its Tide Naturals' advertisement was misleading, the P&G spokesperson said, "Like our advertisement claims, Tide Naturals promises great cleaning while keeping your hands soft, because it has the goodness and freshness that of lemon and sandalwood. This claim does not in anyway lead the consumers to believe that any natural ingredients are present in the detergent."

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Oh dear! I was shocked when I say the Rin commercial where it directly compared to Tide. I always thought - for all these years - that campaining against/ mentioning the brans name of any other product that yours in a disparaging way was unlawful! Infact I think it is un-ethical, but I simply made up the unlawful in my mind as guess - because what I saw on TV, with what Rin was claiming made me double take!!

However, I would really feel that Rin was playing an unethical game here.

But I also did not know the cas on Tide.!! Well.. I think may be HUL got angry and made the new add :rotfl

But ofcourse, I think there are so many products in the market that fool people th same way Tide (if at all that is called fooling). So many products say XYZ extracts, natural ani-oxidants, abc oils, etc etc - now these are usually beauty products. How many of these really have what they claim to contain...

I chort, I just get the feeling day-by-day that there should be comittie (if there alreaddy isn't on, and if there is one I think they are not doing a very good job) to make this situation clear and perfect to the common people and make the product sellers take utter precausions as NOT TO FOOL THE PUBLIC!

3. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

even i was shocked by just listening the word tide in RIN ads. Earlier days (our mother s time) majority people have chosen only Rin as their washing option. But now there are more choices like washing machine specific powders for front load top load etc etc.
    For general purpose also we have plenty of choices now.

may be to withstand all these, they started playing these tricks now a days.
    But this is very unhealthy and others might also start this technique to promote their products. I believe there should be a pause or stop in the beginning itself.