1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right to Have Remote!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jananirbk, Feb 2, 2010.

1. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Right to have Remote

Yesterday evening, after my office work, I thought of having a break before continuing with the dinner preparation. My 2-year-old was watching "Tom and Jerry!!" When I took the remote, she screamed "Mathatha ma!!" (don't change, mom) shakehead. I proceeded on, like I heard nothing!. My DD got out of the sofa, went to my DH, who was working on his laptop, and complained "Appa, Amma Mathita!!"(Dad!! Mom has changed the channel) and from there, I got the command, "Jan, don’t make her cry, let her watch what she wishes to watch!!"

Changing to Cartoon Network, I relaxed on sofa thinking when I last had the remote? It has been so long and I realized that I have been deprived of my right to have remote control these days. My MIL will be watching serials in the morning, FIL will be watching his favorite movies at noon, and when my daughter got up from her nap, it will be cartoon channel, with MIL taking over in the evening for serials, and the day ends up with my DH watching sports or share market. Don’t I have the right over the remote control? If not 33%, a 3%?? Half-an-hour a day??

How much I enjoyed having the remote in my hands before my marriage? I strongly feel the person who holds the remote control got the control over the house!! As, we are taking over the responsibilities of a house as DIL, cannot we have the privilege over a remote control?

In Indian films, as a DIL enters a house, the MIL used to handover the key of the money box. Now, we don’t want the key of the money box and all!! We will be so happy if MIL hands over the remote control to the DIL which implies that she got full control of that home!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

2. greenplanet

greenplanet New IL'ite

Hi Jananirbk, Enjoyed reading. LOL Regards GP

3. AmritaPoorni

AmritaPoorni Bronze IL'ite

Too good.. I could not help smiling after I read comparison of handing over keys with handing over remote :))

4. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Hai Green planet!

Have edited ur comment eh? Never mind!! What u suggested was a good idea of having a DVD to record program and see it at leizure time!! but the problem is I never watch any program regularly, but I enjoy holding the remote and changing channels as per other's request. At my free time, will change channels from 1 to 100, then 100 to 1, not satisfied with any of them, will swith off and nap!!, but still i want the remote u see!! :)

5. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Hai Amrita!!

Thanks for ur comments and I am happy that u liked it!!! :)

6. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

LOL ! The TV has become the VIP of the family now, like the Kazana of olden days And everyone wants to hold the Key ! ( remote) Hahaha ! The Idiot Box surely makes slaves of everyone !
    Nice article Janani !

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Janani
    Come home to my place. The remote will be all yours !! :).
    We hardly watch TV. I am at home during the day,
    at the moment but never switch on the TV. The idiot box is ON
    maybe for 2-3hrs max a day and that too when hubby comes
    home after work. Loved your blog!

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Janani

Ha ha ha ha ! Enjoyed your blog especially the last paragraph comparing the keys to the remote. I watch very less TV , even that only the news, but I can recall the scenario you have so ably described in my home when my kids were younger.

9. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Thanks Tubelight, Knot2Share, and Sundarusha for ur valuable comments !!

It is my pleasure that you liked it!!

I feel we always underestimate the importance of things wen we have it and if we are deprived of it knowingly or unknowingly, it appears as though a major problem to us, though how much ever small it is!!

10. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Something which me and my DH keeps fighting on:) I try to get remote from him changes it to my fav channel/program and hides it. But somehow he finds it and changes back to his. Finally we have come to an agreemetn that we should have 50-50 chance to have the remote ha ha