1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right of daughter on property - suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ivlakshmi, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi ,
    does the daughter has equal rights on the property of father if will is not written? This is for my mother. My grand father passed away some months back. My grandpa has two sons and two daughters. Most of the times my mother ad her second elder brother has taken care of grand parents. Now my mothers elder brothers wife is talking as is she has taken care of them and property should go to only male children.
    Now another brother who has taken care did not inform my mother or her sister but informed tenanants saying that they might have to vacate house as they are planning to sell it. My mother is kind of worried that they might take off property and keep her mother in old age home. All the 3 - both brothers wife and her sister kept bitching about my grandma. All these issues happened when they done my grand fathers death cermony in our home town. My mother is not very much interested in any property though and my dad has told me that fathers property will go only to sons.
    i disagreed saying that both get equal share. I am kind of intereste in getting the amount as we dont have any property at the back , dont have a own house of our own, no constant job for my dad and a non pentioner. He will be kind of dependant on me which cannot be possible if i get married. All my mothers siblings are extremely well off with their children being settled abroad.
    My grand mother is still alive and my moms brother will be taking her to get some signatures done in future. Is it possible for him to take all the property by her signature ? She is uneducated. Please pour in your inputs. I am only interested in the money because my parents dont have any and i am fed up of the dependancy issue. Her sister is the one who never took care but interested in property.

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Per indian law, all kids (daughter or son) has equal share on parents/ancestral property.

Talk to some lawyer as your grand ma is still alive.

1 person likes this.
  3. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

If there is no will, the children and remaining spouse have equal share. Your uncles can not sell the property without getting a no objection signed by your mother.

2 people like this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

As per indian law, property and wealth inherited by grandparents - kids have equal rights. Wealth or property earned by grandparents themselves - they can give it to whoever they want, however they want.
    Key point is - if they inherited or did grandparents earn it themselves?

2 people like this.
  5. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

It is not an inherited property but it is earned by grand father.

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It depends on the religion (there are no uniform inheritance law but each religious group have their own legislation) but in general the spouse and children will inherit equal shares. In this case the grandmother and the children would inherit one fifth each. They cannot sell the property as your grandmother owns one fifth but of course they may convinve her to sign the papers to agree to sell.

Will in India | Indian Will | Inheritance Tax Laws
    Inheritance of property: Know the process - Indian Express