1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right might still be wrong

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Angellic, Apr 2, 2015.

1. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Angellic,

Exactly my thoughts and I have opened a similar thread called Deepika Padukone's 'My Choice' that is now there in Movies Section.

She is totally misleading the current youth.
    And most of her choices are only about people who live in the high society.But the truth is, there are a lot of common public like us whose lifestyle is completely different from theirs. And if you see the video, most of the other women look already privileged. They have just included some rural women so that the video doesn't get tagged in any different way.

But thanks to social networking. We see many HATE voices against the video. Hope they refrain from producing such silly videos in future.

1 person likes this.
  2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Though I don't agree with the choice of having sex before marriage or outside marriage, I think the response to the video is totally what the video is about. A woman doesn't have any choice. Just because a woman say's it is her choice to have sex before marriage or outside marriage, most people are jumping on her as if Sharafat ka theka women ne le rakha hai. Just for saying it, a woman gets crucified.

If a similar video was made by a male actor, then it would be laughed off and forgotten. But since it is made by woman, it is bad - future of India is doomed.

The only choice for women in Indian mindset is that of cooking, cleaning, taking care of the family, wear traditional clothes and talk about religion. She has no choice beyond that. No choice to just think or express anything else.

I am not sure but that may be the perspective of the people who made the video and hence made it sensational. It may have been intended to communicate that a woman should be treated equally as man and not being constantly judged or crucified for everything.

1 person likes this.
  3. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

@akanksha1982: Well, don’t you think, this video went viral all because of those 2 wrong statements. And without those statements, the chances of this video reaching the peak is nil as the content of the video is quite flat...

What I believe is empowerment should be given to those women who actually need it. All the noise is about the choice of urban women about what, how and when and with whom to do or not to do stuffs. Urban women are already enough empowered to do whatever she likes or dislike.

In real world, empowerment is needed by the women who are living below the poverty line in the road side shanties or in the villages. I would have appreciated the maker if he focused on empowerment of down trodden women of India who are far away from where we are right now.

In India, jaha majority of the women are still struggling at a ground level unke liye this video is just a piece of garbage. Basic choices unke pass nahi hai tho ye luxurious choices ka maag unka kis kaam ka???

4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

NOTE: I am saying some general assumptions that people make based on dress of women. There are exceptions and not every urban or rural women are as such.

Actually, it is the opposite. A rural woman, wearing a saree and bindi is already assumed to be "sanskari" and "adarsh" even though she may have had affair before/after marriage. While an urban woman is constantly judged by the clothes she wears and with whom she has a cup of coffee. Just because she wears sleeveless top, jeans or skirts and high heels, she is termed as "Chalu". Even if a rural woman gets raped, the blame comes on the dresses worn by urban women. A rural woman may not be wearing a bra, but if a strap of bra of an urban woman is visible, all hell break lose.

The disparity between haves and have-nots in India is very high. So, if someone makes a film on women in villages, with no proper clothing, living in poverty, people would jump on that as well, just as people do on the documentaries of India that shows cows on streets, snake charmers, elephants, traditional clothed men/women, etc saying that this is not complete India.

So both the urban and rural women need empowerment.

5. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

@akanksha1982: Women (Urban/rural) are judged by men and other women. People assess your competence and trustworthiness in a quarter of a second–based solely on how you look. The politics of women’s appearance is a painful tug of war between the meanings women intend to convey (which are as varied as the tiles of a mosaic) and those imposed on them by society. We all seek a place in the grand constellation of social groups and we all, consciously or not, trying to “fit in” somewhere. Some desires to be appreciated by a society that's run by a dominant group and some desiring to be oneself beyond societal stricture whichever category you belong to, you will be judged in either case. Judging one another and getting judged by is a part and parcel of our life. We have to deal with it. Male /female, good/bad, you are and you will be judged.

Judgments thrown on women’s dressing sense is majorly done by cheap male chauvinists either to cover their mistake or to support the fellow men or just to reverse the trigger back on us. And those Sanskari and Adarsh stuffs and all created by solely male chauvinists to cage women’s independence. Those flattering words never worked on urban women as we know judgment based on dressing sense is absolutely baseless.

Keep on judging me, but I’ll do what I feel right is what an empowered women should/will think. Those lifeless comments never made women to change her dressing sense.

Women can stand up for her rights confidently only if she knows what is right and what’s wrong. So empower her with proper education. Educate her so that she gets the ability to decide what she wants and what to stand for.

1 person likes this.
  6. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, :exactly:that's the major drawback of this video. Also the content was not rich enough to receive positive fbs.

It was seriously misleading the present generation. I've seen girls sharing this video because its says everything that they wish.

Thanks alot for your fb
    :)

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I saw the video and loved it! It is a short video so impossible to include very much into it. But the main message is that women can and should do their own choices. Be it what kind of dress they wear, do they marry a woman or a man or do not marry at all. That men should not take them as given, it is the womans choice to stay with them.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Angellic,

You have carefully analyzed and very well articulated the women's empowerment in the process of reviewing "My Choice" Video. It is the reality in India that many women are not even able to meet both ends meet. They lack education, reasonable income to take care of the family and a decent standard of living. Uplifting these women are the top priority of the entire society leave alone women who fight for the empowerment. Freedom comes with responsibilities associated with it and similarly the choice comes with the culture, social fabric and civilization that one belongs. One can make choice within the rich cultural heritage that the entire world admires and long to learn from.

It would make better sense to fight for the empowerment in education, employment, marriage, politics, inheritance and other areas before trying to change the rich cultural heritage. At the same time, even boys need to be raised respecting women with a clear understanding that they have equal rights.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Angellic,Sorry for coming in late here. I fully endorse your views. Women don't have to fight for choosing the ethically wrong and immoral acts. Instead they should fight for discrimination in gender equality at work place.
    our women MPs should fight and pass the " women's reservation bill" in the parliament which is pending for more than 14 years.
    PS

10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

There was nothing in the video promoting choosing wrong or immoral acts.

If you look at a society where there is no discrimination then why would a law like "womens reservation bill" be needed? Yes, as a temporary solution to promote equality maybe.

Sexuality is one area were women are mostly discriminated. Throughout the history in almost all cultures and religions a lot of focus been put on that women should be virgins. The society condemns harshly women who step out of the boundaries.

One of the pics shown a woman that had educated herself so that her parents and country can be proud of her. One sign again that women are supposed to serve others, not getting educated so that she can have a good life.