1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right age to start potty training

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by klniha, May 9, 2012.

1. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

My son is 19 months old now. Somehow he hates the potty seat. He can speak few words and I don't know if he understand what I am trying to say. Can I start training him now? Or am I just plain forcing him?

How long did your boys take to learn and understand?
    At what age did you start training your boy?

Thanks!

2. nisha27

nisha27 Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    oh! you so late..you dint start yet..start training from now itself.

3. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi klniha,
    Dont worry dont force your son. It happens with many kids they dont understand it. Some kids are too fast. It doesnt mean your baby is slow. My son too hated to sit on potty seat when he was 1-2yrs. I always tried to make him sit but finally he will sit in toilet or floor. At the age 2 he himself started going to toilet for pee. Your child will do it by himself.. Keep on trying take him to toilet as much as possible.

4. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

hi klniha

dont worry about what age the kid needs to be potty trained, one sign is if your kid is keeping things back in their place means he is soo ready for potty training,its a sign which shows that he remembers the place when he has to keep it back, you can start at a convenient day time say may be after he goes to poo you can give some offtime from the nappy and make him sit on the potty, give his favourite toy or sing asong for him so that he never bother to remind himself that he is doing something different,keep lots of old clothes to clean up those accidental mishaps.

personally i dont prefer these toilet training pants i used them for my first kid, the way they work are as soon there is wetness the kiddo can feel the wetness but later it works as a nappy. the kid is expected to respond in that time which rarely happens they just delay the process rather than doing any good, but in a way they are way too convenient say you can use them like undies and as well a nappy.

just make it a fun time for him rather than a compulsory activity, sooner they them selves do it

2 people like this.
  5. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Thank you padma and lifeisajourney. I will try to familiarize him from today. I made him sit in the past but he doesn't sit on it for more than few secs. Even though I try to engage him with some activity and his poop timings aren't fixed.

Another ques to al of you. Did you teach the boys to stand up and pee or just sit on seat and pee for now. Do they have a supporting restroom system in toddler schools if we teach them to sit and pee. Hope you understand my concern.

@nisha you are scaring me.:)

2 people like this.
  6. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

1. Show him YouTube videos of other kids doing it on potty

2. Let him know that his favourite cartoon characters also use potty ... Look they are not wearing diapers are they?ask him.

3. Start with peeing first.

4. Don't show anger. Appreciate a lot directly and indirectly.

5. Keep him without diaper and ask him if he wants to pee every 10 minutes. He might give many false alarms. So train only when you are energetic and with full stomach. Start with 2 hours per day initially. Then slowly increase.

6. Send him to day care. He will see other kids doing it and learn that potty is not dangerous.

7. NEVER SCOLD or feel frustrated. He can sense.

8. Potty seat should not slip or move when placed on potty. You sit near him in a stool / bathtub and hold both his hands. A small step stool for him to keep his feet ( rather than dangling) helps.

9. Allowing them to flush can be used as reward but only if he uses the potty.

Patience patience patience.

Good luck.

4 people like this.
  7. geeta79

geeta79 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Klniha,

My 2 yr old daughter also doesnt sit in one place for more than a minute. She doesnt tell me when she wants to go for pee or poo. I take her to the bathroom for pee every 1-2 hrs, and if i forget, she does it in her underwear. Earlier she used to cry and wail when taken to the bathroom. She's too lazy to go to the bathroom. Now also she grumbles a little bit when taken for pee in the bathroom. I am training her since 6 months, lets see when she is able to tell me on her own that she want to pee n poo. U also start training ur son with daytime pee sessions in the bathroom.

Best of luck.

8. asad

asad New IL'ite

Hi klniha,

My first peice of advice to you.....DONT WORRY!!!!!!!

I have a 2 1/2 year old son and god know what a time i had worrying about his potty training,he just hated sitting on the pooty and used to cry if forced.
    then i understood that force and anger are never going to help him. First thing i did was made him get rid of his diaper habit. It became very tedious for me coz for teh first few days after that he used to pee/poo in his pants. Then slowly i started telling him when i was going to use the toilet,that made him realise that it a normal thing and mummy also has to go.
    I then started asking him every 10-20 mind if he needed to go,it took a lot of patience and stamina from my end to do this excercise but eventually after a few flase alarms and wet pants he started telling me when he felt the need to go and he got appreciated for it every time and maybe even a small reward for the first informed poo. it helped a lot, but it takes a lot of patience and i cant stress enough on it.

My son has a cousin who is of the same age but started using the potty mny months in advance, but i did not compare my son to him, coz i knew he needed a lil more time, i did not give into anger or worry or fustration when comparisons were being made between them, i know my son better then anyone else and believe me you just keep trying and don't worry, all kids eventually learn to use to potty,no two ways about it, its just a matter of time!!!

All the best and remember you just need one thing PATIENCE!!!!!

love
    Asad

2 people like this.
  9. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

If the diaper at night is dry in the morning, its an indication that its time to start training. Other indications are making actual potty movements when doing it in diaper.(eg bending knees and butt in potty position lol whats the word for that). The thing is the children are learning to control their movements down there and not all are yet capable. And then there the few that seem to refuse potty out of rebelliousness. A reward system sometimes helps. Draw a chart with columns for each day and then sections for potty time. For each successful potty draw smiley face or let child put nice sticker there. Tell child when chart is full with stickers you will get a nice suprise, eg a very special outing or a small toy or something it really likes. Also take the child when you go,it then understands its being a big boy or girl, just like mom.
    Avoid giving drinks half an hour before sleeping time was my experience. And always use potty before bed time. In the end they all learn.

1 person likes this.
  10. hemachidam

hemachidam New IL'ite

DOnt worry he will learn soon.My daughters didnt like that before 2yrs.Then in the month of 25 they suddenly started using the potty.Now they want only potty.So dont worry he will also learn one day.