1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right Age to Start Learning Carnatic Music and Bharatanatyam

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Rupamitu, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Rupamitu

Rupamitu Silver IL'ite

Hello All, My child is 3 years old. She is grasping things pretty well. So was wondering if I could enrol her in either Carnatic music or dancing.
    What is the right age to start? Please help. Thanks

1 person likes this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Very good question.even have the same doubt.

mostly people join the kids around 5.esp music because they need to understand the words clearly.

3. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

5 years and beyond should be required for the child to understand and grasp. You may still take her for few class to know her preference.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rupamitu

Rupamitu Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the response. Will start looking for options :)

5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

My 4.5 year old DD has started bharatnatyam class from July 1st. She is grasping well but have issue with sanskuti sloka pronounciation which I repeat at home to make her clear. Her one of friend, who is turning 4 on july 27 has also started and she is doing pretty well too.

I would suggest you to have 1 or 2 trial class then talk to her teacher and decide ( we had 2 trial classes per her teacher recommendation)

1 person likes this.
  6. Rupamitu

Rupamitu Silver IL'ite

Sure will do Priya. Thanks :)

7. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

As a Bharatanatyam dancer and having learnt carnatic music for several years, I would like to add my views on this topic.

At the age of 3 or 4, the child is not ready physically or emotionally to take up the rigors of classical dance. It is physically very stressful, especially Bharatanatyam with the aramandi or half seated stance. It is not fair to subject children that young to such stress. Plus, it will also cause health problems in the future.

It can cause the child to develop bow legs. Plus, at a later age (in the forties), the dancer can have joint problems preventing her or him from performing some steps. This is something I have heard from my teacher, who started when she was eight. Her teacher, who is a reputed dancer started when she was ten!

So, wait for a few years till your child is able to withstand the pain (which will surely come!). The right age is around eight, as followed by my teacher and her teacher, and all their students. Till then, maybe if she is very interested, she can sit and observe the classes, and do some light steps, but she should not attempt full fledged dancing.

Of course, this is one school of thought. There are many gurus who take students as young as three. But it is not advisable to start at such a young age.

When I teach, I also find that younger kids find it difficult to retain attention, and memory is also an issue.

Regarding carnatic music, five or six is a good age to start.

8 people like this.
  8. Rupamitu

Rupamitu Silver IL'ite

Dear Crazywriter, Thanks for your inputs. I was expecting answers from trained professional, and thanks for ur time in responding.

Since you are experienced, I ll go with what you say. Not gonna stress her :)

1 person likes this.
  9. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Welcome rupa, happy to help! :)

Edited to add: I just re-read your original post, rupa, at three, the poor little thing is too tender to go to dance classes! Take her to classes, and if the teacher permits you both can sit and watch, so that when she is ready to start classes in a few years, she will be excited, and at the same time will be able to grasp quicker than others, because she has been following classes.

Another good idea would be to take her to concerts, although you can wait till she is a little older to appreciate it :)

2 people like this.
  10. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Hi IL'ites ,

@Rupamitu, such a good question. I too have it in my mind and was really not sure whom to ask .

@crazywriter Thanks a ton for your inputs.

I live in Virginia, Chantilly. Can any one suggest teachers for vocal and dance (Preferable Bharatanatyam)?

My elder daughter is 5 and a half! She loves dance and music !

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Saritha

1 person likes this.