1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right Age To Potty Train?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Princess23, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Princess23

Princess23 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

please pour your thoughts/suggestions on potty training for the first time MOM.

1. When is the right time/age to potty train ?
    2. Do yu guys have any success mantra on this?

2. aartiangels

aartiangels Silver IL'ite

I tried when my Son was 1 year.. it didn’t work. Then again tried after he turned 2. He learnt quickly and now is potty trained.

Princess23 likes this.
  3. pinkydarling

pinkydarling Platinum IL'ite

For my son it worked very well. I tried when my son was 9 months old. At starting he Rejected but within one week he learnt quickly nd using regularly. Now he is 2.3 old. When ever he wants to go potty he only bring that seat nd sits his own .

Princess23 likes this.
  4. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

I tried when my baby was 1yr it didn't work. Tried around 1.5 ,learned quickly.

1.You need to be patient.
    2.Get the potty seat which they can easily access.
    3.3 days-1 week should be enough to teach.
    4.Appreciate ( high figh, good job) make it more fun than serious.

Princess23 and Sweety82 like this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

In my experience, they became fully potty trained by 3 yrs. You can start training by 1.5 years. They learn how use toilet to urinate very easily. Ask him every one or two hours, make it a fun activity, ask him to flush the toilet. The second part takes time, if they are used to diapers all the time. Mostly they get trained by ~2.5 to 3 yrs. Once they are ready, they will do it and continue doing it. They also consider it as a great achievement. I used a stepping stool and kids toilet seat for this purpose.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Princess23 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think one should stress themselves over this:)

You will know when your child is ready.If the child is able to understand that concept.

I started around 2.5 with no success..tri d too hard and got frustrated and let it go..

Around 3 it took just two days to train

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

For my daughter, I started at 2.5 years. It was a LONG drawn process with lots of accidents. She was fully trained by 3.5 years.

With my son, I decided to wait. On his 3rd birthday, we bought him a small Thomas the Train potty. That night I told him that he needs to go pee and poo in it from now on. He said, "OK Momma". And thats it. Just like that he is trained. In the last 3 months, he had 1 accident (mostly my mistake as I didnt get him to pee at the store and we were stuck in traffic).

He is 3 years and 3 months now. I still put the pullups on for the nights but of late, I dont get a single wet diaper. I may stop it soon.

8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

We're in the US, and I guess that plays a part in late potty-training. I tried repeatedly potty-training my son since he was 2, and he was not at all interested - in the potty or the normal toilet. After his 3rd birthday, I tried with more ammunition and support from my mother, and we succeeded. He's 3.5 and completely potty trained - I can only blame myself for any of his accidents since it was probably because I didn't tell him to try before going to bed.

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

For everyone it is different. You can start trying when you feel you are ready and ready on invest time. It needs lot of patience with kids and also girls learn easy as I hear and with 2nd it gets hard for moms as we get too busy.
    For my daughter, I put lot of effort and by 6 months she was going potty in her potty set and for pee, we used to take her frequently. Diapers for outside and night. However, at 1 yr, we put her in school and everything changed. At home, we would take her to potty seat and by 1 yr, she graduation to adult potty seat with cover on it, but with rush to school and we are busy, it did not work all the time. She had to have diaper in school but we stress on morning relieving at home in toilet. So in school, she was back to full diapering and potty in diaper many times.
    Then switched back to home care by 20 months, again no diapers and potty in adult seat with kids cover.
    So as I hear others stories, she did great in toilet training but again all kids are different. I had highly stressful time with her training. So try for couple days and if kid accepts it, keep trying else take a break and again try.

Princess23 likes this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

When ever kid is ready . Try and see if your kid is interested . If he or she is continue otherwise give a break of few months and try again.

Both my kids potty trained around 3 . I stressed out and stressed 1st kid a lot . It did not work before 3

For second one , I did it
    After 3 , done in a week.

Princess23 likes this.