1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Right age for schooling - confused please help......

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by VaniVyas, Jul 8, 2015.

1. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Dear IL Friends,
    I need your opinions and honest feedback on the below.
    My DD will turn 3 yrs this October. The admissions to school begin by March 2016 by then my DD would be 3.5 yrs which is okay for admission into LKG. We have similar age group children in our building who will be her future classmates but they most of them are born in April, June, July etc. which means when they reach LKG they will be nearly 4. Most of them are going to a playschool and my DD is still at home owing to the below reasons:

1. When we went for admission they said the child should be min 2.6 which she was not (in March).
    2. I don’t leave her in a day care but with my mother which means I am in no hurry to send her off to school.
    Now after reading various posts in IL and Google, I feel there will be good difference in the thinking ability, grasping power etc even they are weeks apart. I was quite okay and convinced to put her in a play school this August since she turns 2.10 by that time and in LKG in the coming academic year.
    But then, since two days something is striking me inside and I feel I will put her a year later. My DD talks more than these kids but not disciplined liked them. I am not drawing a comparison between children since I know as a parent it is totally wrong. But the fact remains that though she talks well, says ABC and sings nearly 10 songs she will not listen or obey easily. These kids stay with their parents in shopping malls etc since they know it is unsafe to run while my DD thinks it is fun leaving the hands of parents and running to unknown places to explore.
    I know this is the age for all this since they are learning many many new things. So considering those factors I feel I will put her in a nursery in the coming academic year and put her in LKG by 2017 by then she will be 4.5 yrs old. Is this too much??? Will this raise many eyebrows while she attends exams in future / interviews??? I respect the fact each child is different and no two children are identical. But I don’t want her to go to school very early as I am afraid though she is brilliant now, what if put her in a class above her capacity which will affect her future??? I am confused, please help dears.

2. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,

I am in a similar situation as @VaniVyas. My DS will turn 3 in September and I feel he will also lag behind other kids by 6 months or more. Please help.

3. shajeerbond

shajeerbond Bronze IL'ite

@ Vanivyas
    I was also in the same boat. My son was also born in October, at age of 2.5 he was little back ward in speech and all activities. So we decided to put him in LKG @4.5 and enrolled in play school @3.5. But by that time he was very active and picked up things very quickly. We were disappointed that we didn't enroll him in LKG.
    Now he is in LKG and it was very difficult to get admission also @4.5. He will turn 5 this October. All his classmates are younger him.
    So in my opinion its better to enroll ur kid for LKG @3.5yrs.

Regards,
    Farzana.

4. magnashri

magnashri Silver IL'ite

Hi Vanivyas,

I crossed the same situation..and i put my son in LKG at 4.2 with great difficulty we got admission..but now he is ahead compared to others in his class in all the activitie swhich may be because of age difference. It made my life easy as he finishes all his school work faster and got time for extra curricular activities...

It depends on you and in my opinion DD's will pick up faster that DH..So good to enroll at 3.5

5. magnashri

magnashri Silver IL'ite

pls bare my spelling mistakes:bonk

6. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Any Body else with children born after August....so that you can relate to my post.

7. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

@Vanivyas,

Are they willing to take your DD in nursery inspite of the age criteria. We are moving to Riyadh and the age criteria mentioned is the same. Sorry for bothering you.

8. TDR

TDR Bronze IL'ite

Hi vani,

my DD is October born too. we did not send her to school until 2.5 yrs . at 2.5 we looked for pre kg admission in a big school, that did not workout. So we put her in a playschool for a year. now she is 3.8 and in prekg in big school. next year she will be in LKG.

believe me , life is a lot more easier for me and DD, as she is more matured to understand the instructions be it at school or at home. i just cant think how it would have been if she will be going to LKG this year.

wrt not getting admissions for LKG, look for schools that offer pre kg as well and enroll him @ 3.5 yrs. till then you can send him to playschool just to get the feel of going to school everyday.

All the best.

9. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Re-posting for more responses