Rice falling down when cooking in a pressure cooker

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Sayutidke, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Sayutidke

Sayutidke New IL'ite

Hello,

I have recently started cooking rice in a small pressure cooking (traditional one) and since a few days I noticed that some amount of rice has fallen to the bottom of the cooker most of the times I cook. This is very inconsistent as sometimes it does and sometimes doesn't. I am unable to figure out if I am doing anything wrong. I cook lentils and rice together in same pressure cooker but in separate pots.

I will appreciate if someone could give me a solution!! Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

I guess level of cooked rice comes to the top of the pot.. so may be due to more quantity it comes out due to pressure when cooker makes whistling sound.. or may be you have lifted the weight a little.. i hope you get some more accurate response.

1 person likes this.
  3. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Gold IL'ite

Hey I used to have the exact same problem. Once the pressure is built up and the first whistle blows, please reduce the flame to low. Dont wait for the whistles to blow at high pressure. That solved it for me. Also, try to put a plate between the two vessels, to cover the rice when it is cooking. Once I did that my problem of spilt rice was gone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sayutidke

Sayutidke New IL'ite

Thanks for taking time to reply.. I really appreciate it :)

5. Sayutidke

Sayutidke New IL'ite

Thanks a lot OliveOyl... I am definitely going to try this when I cook the dinner today.. Will post how it goes.. Thanks again for your valuable post :)