1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Rice cooker stickiness

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shubhasiddharth, Feb 5, 2010.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Advitha
    Thanks for the reassurance.So can I use any day to day ever silver vessel to cookr ice in the rice cooker?Is it safe? I am so clueless,hence donot mind if the question is too dumb.

2. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Yes Shubha, your logic sounds right.

Can it be that the oil in the fried masalas prevent the rice from sticking to each other but not sufficient to form a barrier between the rice and utensil? Unfortunately since I haven't dealt with this, this is what strikes me right now..:hide:

3. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Uma,

This seems to be a nice trick.

I have a few questions..So how much water should be added in the outer vessel? And since cooking rice takes quite sometime, won't all the water evaporate? This is more of a pressurecooker method, but without using the pressure but just the heat from the water below. Correct?

And since it uses the heat from the water below, does it take longer time than what the rice cooker actually takes?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Do you all make venpongal in the rice cooker? I tried twice with the rice cooker but little extra water and little bit milk (as we do in normal pressure cooker) but still, it comes out like normal rice that we have everyday (not exactly like the venpongal we get in our pressure cooker) and also the at the bottom, dark brown color appears that a considerable amount of rice is wasted.

Previously I used Aroma Aluminium insert pan and that sticks to the bottom and get wasted. Now, I am using aroma non stick, same thing happens.. bottom some rice gets wasted it comes like a sheet.. but since its non stick, it comes out easily but as a circular sheet with a good amount of rice on it. Do anybody with non-stick insert pan get like this. If i stand there, and immediately take out the plug before it goes to warm mode, the loss is less but not completely go away.

Thanks,
    Priya

5. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends
    i bought a non-stick rice cooker 2 yrs back in London. I too had the same problem, then i started applying very little oil at the bottom and so problem nearly solved now.
    And i cook venpongal and even veg biryani in it.
    Its fine.

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Yes shubha, just use the normal stainless steel pathiram that you use everyday.

-Uma

7. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I have a few questions..So how much water should be added in the outer vessel?

I generally add a tall glass of water (apprx. 16oz).

And since cooking rice takes quite sometime, won't all the water evaporate?

Water will evaporate but its just fine as are going to add enough water (You can also add hot water from the tap since its just for virtual heating only)

This is more of a pressurecooker method, but without using the pressure but just the heat from the water below. Correct?

Yes exactly.

And since it uses the heat from the water below, does it take longer time than what the rice cooker actually takes?

Yes it does. I usually keep it 10 mins earlier than what I used to keep. On the other hand if you use hot water in the insert, it'll be almost the same time. The advantage of this one is, you can leave the cooker in warm mode but nothing sticks in the insert. You can take out the inner vessel right away after cooking is done.

-Uma

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Its the pressure in the cooker that makes your rice mushy, I doubt venn pongal can come to that consistency in rice cooker.

The brown thing is because of the heating element at the bottom being constantly on. It happens when you leave the cooker in warm mode.

-Uma

9. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Uma,
    Thank You. So Do you make ven pongal also in the method of keeping in a vessel inside the insert pan? How much water do you add? do you add milk.
    I usually add for normal rice 1: 3 water. For venpongal 1:4 water + 1/2 cup milk.

Thanks,
    Priya

10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

No priya, I don't make venn pongal in rice cooker. If its any pongal then I go for pressure cooker.

-Uma