1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Rice cooker stickiness

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shubhasiddharth, Feb 5, 2010.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

About 2 years ago, when i came to US,I just headed to walmart and got an electric rice cooker for myself. Did not do any analysis on the brand, whatever fitted my budgetw as bought.It is an "Aroma" brand rice cooker. It works absolutely fine except for one little thing. Evereytime I cook the rice in it , the cooked rice sticks to the bottom of the cooker.I cook the rice with the right amount of water.I donot know why this happens. Many a times, we will be in a hurry to eat and when I wait for the keep warm mode to click and switch off the cooker to serve the rice, all i would see is a good amount of rice sticking to the bottom making it impossible to take it out and it ultimately goes a waste.Not knowing how to get rid of this, I switch off the rice cooker once the rice is done, and give it a good 10-15 minutes wait and then serve the rice. It doesnt stick now at all. But that 10-15 minutes wait is killing me so many days..I cannot wait once the hunger pangs start. Does this happen because it is niot a great rice cooker? or does it happen in any rice cooker?Is there any alternative to what I am doing inorder to avoid the rice from sticking?Any help/ideas/suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks a bunch

2. coollife

coollife New IL'ite

I have Oster rice cooker and I face exactly the same problem. I also wait for atleast 15 mins after the rice is cooked.

Thanks for posting the Q :). Let's see what is the solution for this.

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

I faced the same problem some 5 years ago. Unfortunately that is what we have to do...wait for 15 minutes so that the rice won't stick. Other thing that I remember used to do was after it comes to the warm mode I mix up the rice i.e. bottom to top kinda like that and then close the lid and wait for 5 min. or so & then serve.

I finally got fed up and bought a non-stick one. These days u get non-stick ones which are too good. Cooking in that is like a breeze.

Jaya

4. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Even I have the Aroma Rice cooker. I heard that it is good and hence bought it. I have the same problem. Even the non-stick has the same problem. Some days I tried taking it out before the sound comes and it going to warm mode. those days are good. .but the very purpose of rice cooker is not to stand in kitchen unlike the pressure cooker where we need to switch off once the whistle comes up. Looking forward for any suggestions from other IL'tes.

thanks
    Priya

5. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Jaya,
    Recently I bought the non-stick in the same Aroma brand and that too sticks. I am using Lakshmi brand sonamasoori. So, after the peep sound comes and it turning to warm mode, you say, we need to take mix the rice from bottom to top and just keep in warm mode for 5 min? will that work?

Thanks
    Priya

6. shubhasiddharth

I amg lad I posted this question.I swear the very purpose of rice cooker is ruled out because I go and check every 5 minutes if all is well with it.To add to this, I face another issue too..I close the lid properly..but when the water starts boiling and the rice starts cooking, the water splashes alla round the counter top.i have no clue why this happens. So I dont close the lid completely and close it partially and thus avoiding all the splashing around.And for the stickiness,since some of you say even the nons tick ones stick,I wonder where to head!

7. kavithasakthi

kavithasakthi Senior IL'ite

Hi

Iam using Black and decker non stick.the rice not stick to it.i got it from walmart 1 month back.it was good,but one fine day i was giving the last rice to my kid without addind any gravy,at that time i too had some rice in mouth you people wont believe it was bitter like anything.the nonstick melts or what is the problem i dont know.now i stopped cooking with the rice cooker and i am using my cooker to cook rice.
    anyway using the cooker to cook rice will consume less power than the rice cooker

thanks
    kavitha

8. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Here is what my friend does and says it works for her....

Before adding rice to the rice cooker, she greases it the inside of the vessel with little oil. She says after she started doing this, there was no rice sticking issue with her rice cooker (It's an american brand, but I don't know the name)

I have Aroma King rice cooker (10 cup) that I got at costco which has a timer set on it, so I set the ricecooker at night to start at 5.00am in the morning so that by the time we wake up the rice would be ready. 5 stars on that.. And a Sanyo (6 cups - This is what I use everyday) - A little expensive.. But well worth the money spent:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup .No complaints whatsoever. Even if the water in the rice is more, no spills/leaks, no rice sticking to the bottom.

I've tried different brands of ricecooker. In all the cookers what I've observed it, after the cook cycle is done, if the rice is left in the warm cycle for a long time, it kind of dries out (dehydrates) the rice giving it a 'dana-dana' feel.. (guess I'm explaining well :hide:). So I always prefer to not put it in warm...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Greasing the insert pan with oil will work. Also if you cooking straight in the insert pan don't leave it in warm more for long time.

I started following another trick suggested by my friend's mom.

I put another container and cook rice like we do in pressure cooker, no sticking and no waiting. For this the insert pan needs to have some water (imagine cooking in pressure cooker) and the cooking vessel sits inside the insert pan. You can just leave it on and let it go to warm more after it's done. I sometimes put rice at 11AM or so for lunch and by the time we eat around 1PM it's pretty hot and fluffy.

Shubha, no you didn't get a bad cooker its the way it works. It's how aluminum insert pan works in rice cooker. Try the vessel technique I'm sure you won't repent. I sometimes make upma, vegetable rice etc etc with this trick. Was planning to donate my RC for a stainless steel one but now I saved my $$ :)

-Uma

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. shubhasiddharth

SS
    I too thought of this idea..but did not try it.May be now is the time.I dont keep it in warm mode for more than 5 minutes. thats what frustates me even more.I keep watching every 5 minutes to know if the warm mode has clicked.and once it does, I remove the plug itself.And if I dare use the rice immediately even after this much follow up, no use.So I let ti cool down for 15 minutes and then eat.I will try greasing and see how it turns out.I have another doubt now- many times I make a one pot meal like pulav for which I already fry the ingredientsa nd then drop them all in the rice cooker.So there would be enough oil in it all together. Even then it sticks if I dont let it cool down for 10-15 minutes. if gresing should work, then even this should work no?