1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Rice Cooker Cleaning

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Preethi, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra...

I was wondering...did you try to cook rice in micro in a dish covered with lid or without the lid? I never cover the dish with a lid because that makes the water spill out and mess up the micro and also the rice loses the water content and will not cook well. I always cook rice with the necessary amount of water (one, two or three cups of water for one cup rice...depending on the variety of rice used), but without the lid on. When it is done, I immediately cover the pan and leave it for a few minutes to rest. The time too depends on the rice used. Basmati takes the shortest time..15mins..and is the easiest to cook in micro and brown rice the longest.
    Just thought I'd let you know.

L, Kamla

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamla !

I think, the texture has something to do with the quality of rice we get here.
    In spite of all permutations & combinations, I have given up, attempting to cook our rice in MW.
    When you come to Chennai, we will try together - I will take instructions or you can demonstrate - we will enjoy the session together.
    Will it ever happen in my lifetime, my friend ?
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

dear preethi,
    i am using a non stick rice cooker . which is very easy to clean and even rice don't get stick even if u keep on warm mode for a long time . and once the rice is cooked if u just moved the rice with spoon (be careful the rice should not broken ) it will remain very pluffy and seperate and don't even get stick . i hv a section in my rice cooker where all the starch water comes and collect .

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi

Hi Preethi,

They both said the correct thing. Whenever your cooker is in warm mode for a long time that layer will appear. Actually in warm mode, the water in the rice starts dry. So better you switch off the cooker after done. I will not switch it off before done. But I will not keep it for a long time in warm mode too. You can do one thing. After the rice cooked, you transfer it to a' hotpack' to keep it hot. This will avoid the layer as well as to reheat the cooked rice again the MW.

Try and tell.:-D

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dearest Chitra...

I loved the way you said that:) Ofcourse, when the One up above wills, we will cook the rice and kalandha sadhathai kalandhu sappiduvom!:)

L, Kamla

6. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Thanks !

Dear Heena and Krishaamma,

Thanks a lot for your tips..After reading all your post,I think I needn't worry about the crust formation any more, as I now know very well, how to prevent it.

Thanks once again.

Love,
    Preethi

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Hi Preeti,

Thanks for your FB. You wrote like this,

After reading all your post,I think I needn't worry about the crust formation any more.....

Is it because, you want to say like this? 'you are also getting the same thing?' :rotfl hahahahahha

Just kidding. If you problem is solved I am very happy.:-D

13 people like this.
  8. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Please suggest that is it Ok to cook rice in a steel pot in electric rice cooker as we do in Normal cooker?As we are just two people i feel it unnecessary to use the whole rice cooker.

9. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

please add 1 tsp of rock salt to the water in the cooker while cooking. i have tried this for my aluminium cooker (normal cooker) and found that the stains do not form this way. afterwards i wash it as usual.