1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Review of " Flowers for a mother".

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am fine, Sharada !

Do you think that you owe me an explanation, Sharada ? - no, not at all ! Please rest assured that being an ardent student of Bhagavadgita, I can take criticism as gracefully as a boquet ! You are giving me an opportunity to learn what I practise !
    I plan to continue my personal analysis of any one of Varalotti's stories in this forum which I have not previously read. My personal motto in life is " The best is yet to be " ! So, who knows, one day you may end up applauding my personal analysis of another story !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I got lucky:)

I would like to express my sense of joy for being a part of IL. Where else could I have met such honest, well meaning and tolerant set of talented people:)) It is a matter of pride to me that we have so many talented writers with whom I can 'chat' at the click of my keyboard.
    Chitra, my respect for you seems to increase everyday. You write well and with heart. Although I do understand Sharada's professional assessment of your 'review', you did a favour to many like me who has no access to the writings of our 'Induslad' Varalotti! Please continue your good work, if need be, in the guise of a different caption..analysis!:)
    It was such a pleasure to read the tolerant exchange between all of you appreciating the constructive criticism, which a lesser person would have taken as an affront.

3. nuggehallipankaja

nuggehallipankaja New IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

I am glad if I have boosted up your self-confidence.

I too used to be very difident before-can't say I have got over it completely. Come to think of it, we can label
    your writing as 'parichaya'; Parichaya is more welcome
    to readers who cannot always have access to all the good
    literary works. You can do it very well. I was waiting for
    a good time -spar with Sharada, but she has disappointed me by her ' sponge'
    Once again wishing you all the best,

Nuggehalli Pankaja

4. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

Come, let's fight!

Pankaja, roll up your sleeves and get ready for a verbal duel! When we both meet I try hard to guess who is talking and who is listening! - cos both of us speak simultaneously and have views and opinions on everything! Do u recall the middle I had written about both of us - titled Tom and Jerry? Of course you were the predator Tom cat while I was Jerry the frightened mouse, scurrying away each time u called to ask computer-related questions.
    Great fun knowing you!
    Sharada

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

i am getting tensed!

I had promised to give my personal opinion on Zahir( which i am reading halfway through), but the basic question i failed to ask..Sharadha, varalotti .. have you guys read Zahir, to give personal opinion on my personal opinion? or should i change and review one of varalottis stories itself?If yes, suggest which story , i will read it and review it. I am very eager to learn, which is why this anxiety!

Thank you all for your time!

Purnima

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Go Ahead, Purnima!

Dear Purnima,
    I have read Zahir. So no problem. I don't know about Sharada. But there is no need for us to read the book. We are going to assess your review and not the original work.
    So go ahead and do that. I have one suggestion for you. Zahir is a wonderful work of a wonderful author. It explores into the deepest part of the relationship between a husband and his wife. You are indeed lucky to get the opportunity to read that great work. So don't have your review in mind while reading the book.
    Then you will become like a judge in a cooking competition where you will be tasting everything and enjoying nothing, always having an eye on the score card. Just focus on your reading. Review will come of its own. All the best.
    varalotti

7. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Yes zahir certainly carries me away!

Hi Varalotti,

After Mrs CV , the mother of IL, the gracious lady who has contributed so much to IL as got 'nail blow' feedback, i was very hesitant to send my review, it may not even be half as good as what Mrs CV had written. Your words were encouraging!

Thank you very much,
    Purnima

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Purnima,
    Just a thought which i thought i will share with you.
    Zahir has already been reviewed by Chitra.....so why don't we just discuss what we all liked or did not like in this...i had already read the book after Sridhar had suggested long back, and it is too intense for a first time review in my opinion, and if you are apprehensive you better not give it your first try....try something shorter maybe for a first attempt.
    Of course if you have already started on it then go ahead...we will await the professional review of your review! :tongue
    how are you enjoying the book, i could not get enough of it, and was sad when it got over! A true , long journey through life isn't it?
    Anyway in future if we want to discuss this we will post in the other section....this is VARALOTTI's page..meant maybe for his stories!

Happy reading!and all the best for ur first review!May you come out in flying colours!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  9. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It's Not Mine, Sudha; It's Ours!

Hello Sudha,
    Why do you think I will mind two beautiful ladies discussing a beautiful work in 'my page?' And after all it's not mine, it's ours. For administrative convenience they have named it VRs stories page. Again this whole thing started with the review of Flowers For A Mother.
    What I suggest is, Purnima and Sudha, if you want to discuss how to do a review or you want my suggestions on writing skills, we can do it here. If it is a review of my story we can do it here. But if it's a different book, you may do it in Good To Read, Good Books subforum.
    Purnima, don't be afraid, just go ahead. I'll let you a secret. Before my first story got accepted I got fifty plus rejections. Rejection Slips and criticisms are way of life for a writer.
    So go ahead and start writing.
    regards,
    Varalotti

10. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

Mrs. Chitra has done justice to Varalotti's story....

First of all. what Chitra maam has done in her ‘review’ of Varalotti’s story, is a complete analysis of the story, appreciating every aspect of it, which is very essential to guide the readers’ mind- because, positive appreciation, will act as a ‘hand-post’, a ‘beacon light’ to direct the mind of the reader. Infact, in Great Britian, there is a ‘Story appreciation Course” at the University level, which teaches how to appreciate a story and analyze it- and after the course, I am sure one would write exactly as how Mrs. Chitra has written. After reading her analysis, I had a deep urge to read the story, and when I was reading it, some important points from her analysis flashed to my mind, and I liked the story better.

There is a great difference between ‘ Book- Review’, “ Introduction to the book’ and ‘ Literary criticism’ and the rules are different when one is analyzing one single story and the entire book, and there is a difference when one is reviewing a simple story with universally common feelings like mother’s love ,children’s love and lover’s love etc and while reviewing a ‘mystery story’ where it is not ‘done’ to reveal the end or even the story-line.

These are my sincere thoughts after reading the exchange of responses and opinions posted in this thread. This is not definitely taking sides or crossing swords…
    Open minded discussions will add flavor and colour to this ‘one-family site’..

Kamla, I liked the word you coined ‘ Induslad’ for Varalotti …..perfect !!

ambika