1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Revathy Sankaran

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, Feb 20, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

While following up some of the comments on my blog entry "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/sojourner/twinkle-twinkle-little-star-4548/

I came to know quite a bit about Revathy Sankaran, the actress who sings the song referenced in the above blog entry.

If you Google "revathy sankaran hindu" you will see more details about her, in a Woman of the Week piece.

In a nutshell, she is quite impressive. I have wanted to write a series of blog entries called "Men and Women I Admire" and have even started one or two. It has mostly been men. Revathy Sankaran jumps ahead in that queue and gets the first entry in that series.

She is a seasoned actress (of more than 35 years' experience) and not an amateur making a home video as I originally thought. The "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song is from the serial Kasalavu Nesam, directed by K.Balachander (KB). She has written that KB brought out the best from her. She has also written that the first days shooting was a disaster and that they had to do take after take and that KB chewed her out. [He is known for doing this.]

Having lived in the US for the past 40 years, I have not seen a single Tamil serial. In fact, I have seen very little Indian TV. Around 1968 or so, there was a World's Fair in Chennai. In one of the exhibits, a woman was dancing Bharatha Nattiyam in one room, and we could see her on closed circuit TV in another room. We would run back and forth to make sure that what we were seeing on TV was really what was really happening. This is the extent of my TV viewing experience in India, for the most part, if you exclude the following one.

I had a friend called Mali in whose house I would play some time. His upstairs window was such that we could see the outline of the people walking on the street for a short distance, cast as shadow on one of the walls, if the window was closed just so. We couldn't make out the face but could certainly make out the body outline, as movie. This was thrilling enough. On boring days, we would watch this "TV".

Back to Revathy, the Hindu article says that she

"Promotes eye donation, has written lyrics and performed for AIDS and anti-tobacco campaigns; has adopted two talented transgender dancers. Definitely ahead of her time."

Indeed.

She has also acted as Rajanikanth's mother in Endhiran and apparently was keeping Rajani loose with her wit during the shooting.

She has also done advertisements, one of them for Softview, a training company in Chennai. I am a jaded engineer, living out the tail end of my career in the US [constantly looking over my shoulder to see which city in India is going to take over my job :)]. Very little of pr bs gets through my defenses. Revathy is an exception. Listening to Revathy push Softview's classes on video communication, I am ready to sign up, to start a new career on movie editing :)

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Sojourner

Yes she is such a talented lady!
    Revathy Shankaran is none other than our IL Queen Chitvish's first cousin.

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Hi AbhiSing.

Thanks for your comment. I am wasting my whole weekend watching her various YouTube clips :)

I have seen some posts here by Chitvish. [This is not damning by faint praise :) I just don't go to the recipe section much.] Glad to know that Revathy is related to her.

I forgot to write this in my blog entry: There is a Twinkle Twinkle takeoff in the old movie Purab our Paschim, a forerunner of KB/Revathy's takeoff. There is a whole bunch of clips in this genre -- Jack and Jill Went Up The Hill set to Hindustani music, etc.

Revathy's is about the best though :)

Sojourner

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Nice blog about Ms. Revathi. By the way, did her husband work for Parry in Chennai? If so, I have met her few times in 70s. Very attractive lady. Nice ot hear about someone we know who is very famous now. I haven't seen any Tamil Serials, but heard about her from others.

5. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> did her husband work for Parry in Chennai?

I wish that someone who knows about this will write, CL.

6. gdivya85

gdivya85 Junior IL'ite

R u also in Indiana...just curious :) ...I live in Columbus, Indiana...nice blog btw :) :)

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Yes, north of you.

My wife and I go to Louisville often and pass by Columbus. I had been to Columbus a long time ago once and always wanted to take the architectural tour. I also stopped at The Passage To India about a year ago. The owner Madan is a friend of mine. I have been bugging him to teach me cooking.

Take care. Good luck with your studies, the cooking blog, and the use of the planner.